Geocache in book (free little library)

ssis

Last week, I placed a "free little library" near my student apartment complex. I've gotten a lot of positive reactions so far, so all seems to be going well! So now I want to place a geocache somewhere in / nearby this library. I want it to be as big as possible (so it can be used for trackables and swag), but I don't want it to get muggled. I have thought of several options, but none of them really work:

- I thought about a magnetic cache inside the library, attached to the roof. --> This is too conspicuous since the library is placed quite high and the roof is sloped backwards slightly. 

- I could place a micro sized cache underneath the library, but I would love to be able to place a somewhat bigger cache.

Now my newest idea is to make an hollowed-out book and attach to the library by a small chain (to prevent it from getting muggled). However, I am worried that it, or its contents, will get muggled anyway, because quite some muggles will grab/open the book just because it's inside a little library. Do any of you have experience with this kind of (little) library caches? Do they get muggled often? Or do you maybe have other ideas for relatively big caches in a little library?  

I tried to include a picture of the little library, but it gives an error when trying to upload :/

You might make a separate compartment inside the library and put a lock on it. You could then put the code as a hint on the cachepage or put a key nearby.

I've found caches like this where the cache was hidden in a compartment that was not obvious for "normal" people to see but where cacher would definitely would look.

As for being muggled.. depends on the location, I guess.

Edited by on4bam
  • Upvote 1

The secret compartment sounds like a good idea (and I have indeed seen it before), however, I don't really see how it could be included in my library... I am not that handy myself, so I just bought the little library from someone else. Otherwise, I would have loved to include a secret compartment from the start.

Just guessing that the library is in fact a box with front door you could use another box that looks the same and attach it underneath so it looks like it's an original design (same color, material). If you use a magnet activated lock (hold a magnet at a certain spot to unlock) it may not even be obvious that the compartment can be opened. Of course, some muggles may just see a cacher open it and realize something is "not right" :ph34r:

Just guessing that the library is in fact a box with front door you could use another box that looks the same and attach it underneath so it looks like it's an original design (same color, material). If you use a magnet activated lock (hold a magnet at a certain spot to unlock) it may not even be obvious that the compartment can be opened. Of course, some muggles may just see a cacher open it and realize something is "not right" :ph34r:

Ah, I like the idea, but I now changes my profile picture so you can see my little library, and I think it wouldn't really fit... On top of that, I am not handy enough to creaty a "tiny" little library to attach to it. 

We have had good luck with our LFL and its large "book safe" which is tethered in with wire. The book can be locked, but we have not done so... it's actually not obvious how to open it anyway. It looks identical to a dictionary and I labeled it "for reference only-do not remove" on the book itself and on the shelf below.

Nice to hear it works! It seems like a good idea to include both a geocaching and a "do not remove" sticker. Is this placed on the book cover/back or only on the inside?

The sticker is large and on the spine of the book. The idea of a dictionary being for reference only, not to be borrowed, just works. And who would want to take home a dictionary? Your LFL is so cute and I love the color!

We added a Letterbox to our LFL as well. I wish we had been into boxing when we put the cache out, because it would be a hybrid (too many favorite points to justify archiving and republishing) ... that container is  wooden book painted as a landscape and also labeled not to remove it.

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

Just guessing that the library is in fact a box with front door you could use another box that looks the same and attach it underneath so it looks like it's an original design (same color, material). If you use a magnet activated lock (hold a magnet at a certain spot to unlock) it may not even be obvious that the compartment can be opened. Of course, some muggles may just see a cacher open it and realize something is "not right" :ph34r:

That's what I was thinking as well.  My son built something called a "stealth shelf" for a wood shop class.  Here is an example:  

• Upvote 2

I found a Little Free Library cache that had a fake-book container. The owner discovered that the fake-book container was being taken, and solved the problem by securing the fake-book container inside the Little Free Library. People stopped taking the fake-book container.

10 minutes ago, niraD said:

I found a Little Free Library cache that had a fake-book container. The owner discovered that the fake-book container was being taken, and solved the problem by securing the fake-book container inside the Little Free Library. People stopped taking the fake-book container.

I would think that those that visit Little Free Libraries would generally be less inclined to take a fake book container or any other type of container (as long as it was properly labeled) in a LFL than the typical muggle that stumbles upon a cache elsewhere.  On the other hand, there's one around the corner from me that was vandalized a couple of years ago.  It doesn't have a cache in it but someone vandalized the books in it.  Secured or not, labeling the container and including a cache note that describes what it is will probably help.

5 hours ago, ssis said:

- I thought about a magnetic cache inside the library, attached to the roof. --> This is too conspicuous since the library is placed quite high and the roof is sloped backwards slightly. 

- I could place a micro sized cache underneath the library, but I would love to be able to place a somewhat bigger cache.

Now my newest idea is to make an hollowed-out book

I've been to a small number of LFLs.  One was in a park that has kids playing, and it's kind of a hangout.  The books tend to be removed and vandalized.  Another is near a quiet street in someone's front yard.  That has a Micro cache, and all seems fine there.  So in order to give a complete answer, we may need to know if the LFL itself is in a safe place.

But I'll work on the assumption that the OP's LFL is not in a spot where bored kids with lots of time on their hands have nothing better to do than mess with the LFL.  That the LFL tends to be left intact.

In that case, as mentioned, securing the container is suitable.  I'm guessing the LFL is outdoors in the elements.  You might attach a locking box inside the roof, a gun safe kind of box with a combination lock.  And I'm guessing that the LFL is roomy enough for an ammo box, in which case, instead add an eye-bolt to the box and LFL, a chain or bike lock, and a combination lock to open the box.  The ammo box can be decorated as a book, or at least have Geocaching info.  Then the box can be right there among the books.  Set it up so that a cacher can get to it easily.

Edited by kunarion

Is there a bit of a lip at the top? When you open the door is there a 1 or 2 inch length of board that runs the width of the library?

That might be enough space to hide a small size cache - an altoids mint tin or sucrets lozenge tin. That was one of my favourite little library geocache finds. The sucrets tin was large enough for a little logbook, a cut down pencil and about 3 little trinkets. You don't need a lot of room. A 100ml capacity tin can easily hold a couple of geocoins (maybe not in the plastic sleeve though) or a small flat dog tagged trackable. You could always hide 2 up there for more trinket room. The sucrets I found had a tiny earth magnet in the tin and a piece of metal attached to the roof just behind the small strip of wood behind the top of the door, near the roof. 

19ac4171-9650-47f3-86b9-fd58a8178273_l.jshopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBZeGw9WeA7rXUMv4Fl

59a1db01-215a-497a-a058-41142969e509_f.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

I think with my library, the biggest cache would fit inside a fake book (or the ammo box, but I prefer the idea of a hollow book). There aren't a lot of bored kids around here, and time will tell whether my fellow students are decent enough to keep this library (and the cache) happy :) Just to be sure, I will chain the book to the library (to prevent it from being stolen or accidentally taken). I will also place a big sticker on the cover of the book, which explains that it's a geocache and thus part of a game, I hope that will prevent muggles from taking the contents.

2 hours ago, ssis said:

I indeed changed my profile picture to my little library after starting this topic

So the picture is the actual Little Library your talking about?  Not too sure how high it is off the ground but at first look I would have built a compartment between the top of the books and the roof.  Attached hinges to the roof so it can be lifted up and your in business.    Not sure if you have enough room to still do something like that.  

I love the fact you took the time and effort to incorporate a Little Library into your neighborhood.  We have one in our town and I think it's a great idea.  Adding a geocache to it is even better.      

15 hours ago, justintim1999 said:

So the picture is the actual Little Library your talking about?  Not too sure how high it is off the ground but at first look I would have built a compartment between the top of the books and the roof.  Attached hinges to the roof so it can be lifted up and your in business.    Not sure if you have enough room to still do something like that.  

I love the fact you took the time and effort to incorporate a Little Library into your neighborhood.  We have one in our town and I think it's a great idea.  Adding a geocache to it is even better.      

The builder/owner might be able to add a shelf just below the roof, where a container (such as the hollow book) could be easily retrieved and stowed by cachers.  Hidden in a way that library users don't even notice.  Or if there's no room inside, a compartment in the base or somewhere else on the outside of the LFL could do.  Lots of possibilities.  If the compartment (or container) is locked, even better.

• Upvote 1

You could make a "donations" box for the box, where the money from donations goes to to a different compartment and the back of the donations box could be opened after being unlocked with a code shown on the caches website (or revealed from a puzzle), so if muggles saw it'd just look like the owner was collecting donations.

• Surprised 2

I have a cache that centres on a little library, but since the library is not my own, I set it up as a multi. Finders go to the library, answer a question about it, and the coords bring them up the road to our local public library, and nearby the cache is located. It would be cool to have it in the little library itself, but this is a viable option!

17 minutes ago, jaysonC said:

I have a cache that centres on a little library, but since the library is not my own, I set it up as a multi. Finders go to the library, answer a question about it, and the coords bring them up the road to our local public library, and nearby the cache is located. It would be cool to have it in the little library itself, but this is a viable option!

I like that kind of multi. We have one at a roadside feature - it’s the same situation where it isn’t mine, but the answered question gets you the final location. It’s just a few sets of coords associated with the different answer options, so people don’t need to use Certitude on the road.