As an Leader/Officer should I archive MISSING waymarks?

dreamhummie

First:

Sometimes I see in the visit comments that the waymark is missing, what do you as a Leader/Officer ?  Do you archive them immediately  or do you contact the owner first before archive the waymark ? Or what action do you take ?

It looks if I contact a owner about it, he/she will not archive the waymark. So must I take action without any yes/no discussion and archive them ?

I mean archive NOT delete them because of the consequences for the visits/statistics.

Second:

Can't we open a new topic "MISSING WAYMARKS " ?

When I see one and I'am not a Leader/Officer in the specific category, were its in, that we post it with category name and waymark code in the new topic ? So other Leader/officers come in action to archive them !

( A lot of questionmarks and a typo in the header,  I'll tell you before trolls start to PM me about it. :lol:)

Thx & Grtz, John.

Edited by dreamhummie
Typo

The (possibly moot) question of archiving a Waymark, the subject of which no longer exists, or has been moved, depends entirely upon the actual subject of the Waymark.

For example, if one were to go to the spot indicated in This Waymark, one of our earliest Waymarks, they would not find St. Rita's Catholic Church, as it was torched by an arsonist not long after we Waymarked it. We will not archive the Waymark, as it may be the most recent remaining documentation for the church.

Keith

In my opinion, I think all waymarks should remain as an historical record even if the subject is no longer there.

The description of the waymark should be edited to explain what happened to the subject.  That information could be important.  If the waymark poster is no longer active, a visit or comment can be used by other waymarkers to explain things.

Edited by elyob

I guess FIRST you'll have to show me how you would Archive a Waymark that is not owned by you. I don't seem to have that option here.

I just find out it won't work. :lol:

The (possibly moot) question of archiving a Waymark, the subject of which no longer exists, or has been moved, depends entirely upon the actual subject of the Waymark.

OK your WM is burned down and missing, sorry

But I wanna visit real waymarks, not go to a place were is nothing see anymore :rolleyes:

In that way we keep Waymarking never up2date.

My example in the category ANWB Paddenstoelen.

I found a missing mushroom and now you only will found a steel waymarker with distance to towns on it.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3X4F_21515_001_Amersfoort

or a missing in Remagen

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMR2DC_Telefon_am_Friedhof_Remagen_RLP_Germany

My opinion is you can't invite waymarkers to a party without beer :P

In my opinion, I think all waymarks should remain as an historical record even if the subject is no longer there.

I agree with that, so that is why I opened this topic because of something whats happend this week and I thought missing waymarks go to the archive.

EDIT:

In my search of making Netherlands equal in Country/Region Counts  I'am missing 1 in including country/region counts.

I found this one last week, pushed the button edit waymark and give it a province. So an Officer get the message to ADD the province.

The Officer gave it the province which I was missing in the statistics and archived it immediately and it was a Featured Waymark :mad:, gone historical record and also the missing in our Country/Region Counts is gone. Still -1

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM10Q7_Parking_lot_Graffiti_Enschede_Netherlands

pics are coming up in a moment.

Edited by dreamhummie

That is a good example.  I did not translate the visits but I assume that the art is no longer there so the category officer archived the waymark.  However, the photographs in that waymark might be the only evidence that this art ever existed.  I would not have archived the waymark but that is just my opinion.

It can be a risky decision to have a category officer review an old waymark.

Very good EDIT from BK-Hunters in the Long Description of http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMFZA9_St_Ritas_Catholic_Church_Castlegar_BC_GONE

Long Description:
[EDIT - not long after we visited this church (March 25, 2013, to be exact) it burned down, the result of arson. A new church will be rebuilt, but we're not sure whether it will be at the same location.)]

St. Rita's Roman Catholic Church is a very classic church building with large windows facing the street.

Maybe a new topic "Missing Waymarks needs extra Info in the Long Description"

So Officers can ADD it when a owner is sleeping. In that way we keep waymarks up2date.

Edited by dreamhummie
16 minutes ago, dreamhummie said:

But I just found out an Officer can't Archive waymarks...

That was my point! 

How would the officer know the art was no longer there, unless he happened to live very close?

If it's indeed archived the poster, Barjon, can unarchive it.

Keith

He didn't know it was not there anymore. I only pushed the button EDIT WAYMARK so only a Leader/Officer (or a Admin) would see it and edit/archive it.

So thats why I start this topic. Only to ask what to do with MISSING waymarks, not with the intention  to delete them immediately. I want to hear your opinion first and, historically, they must stay on Waymarking. :)

Edited by dreamhummie

To make it obvious that a waymark object is no longer there, without having to read the Long Description, change the Title to include the word MISSING.  Some of us put it at the end, whilst others put it at the beginning:

Some Cool Thing - Mytown, MO USA - MISSING
MISSING - Some Cool Thing - Mytown, MO USA

I prefer the former, but I know of some folks who prefer the latter.  You may also want to change the Long Description to elaborate.

This keeps the information for historical purposes -- as some have said, the waymark may be the only documentation on Some Cool Thing that went missing.  But it also serves to quickly notify anyone doing searches, etcetera, that the object has gone missing.

The same thing can be done for other not-so-cool circumstances:

Some Cool Thing - Mytown, MO USA - TEMPORARILY DISABLED

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, dreamhummie said:

So thats why I start this topic. Only to ask what to do with MISSING waymarks, not with the intention  to delete them immediately. I want to hear your opinion first and, historically, they must stay on Waymarking. :)

Waymarking for me is just a way of recording history. Many are missing, but Waymarking is proof that they existed. I would leave them be. :)

• Upvote 1

I usually put LEGACY in front of the name of waymarks that aren't there or no longer apply, and then edit the quick description with the reason if it'll fit, and possibly the long description if there's room.

Archiving would be fine IF one could look them up somehow. But they're not included in searches - unlike archived mail in Gmail.

• Upvote 1

I don't think any waymarks should ever be archived. Just because it's not getting visits today, doesn't mean someone who takes up Waymarking in the future might have already taken a picture and post a visit when they realize that they have photos of a waymark location, that is GONE, RELOCATED, MOVED or whatever.

• Upvote 2