New Category Idea: Lunar Specimens

I've had this idea for a while, and finally I've gotten around to write up a category for it. I think it would be a great place to categorize objects, including moon rocks, that have actually visited the moon. Objects like space suits, Apollo astronauts personal items, Apollo astronaut grave sites, Apollo spacecraft, spacecraft brought back to earth from the moon (Surveyor 3), etc. The possibilities are quite large here and I think it would be a great category. Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Let's hear them!

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=97ce8dd0-9922-469a-b905-c60e6f8fef70&r=200&gid=6&exp=True

• Upvote 1

Redundant with several categories. Moon rock displays are already accepted in Rock and Mineral Displays. Lunar landers can all go in static aircraft displays. Astronaut graves can go in graves of a famous person or in occupational tombstones depending on the design. Space suits are on display in Science museums.

Personal items of astronauts do not interest me. 

Our 2c

22 minutes ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I also don't like the requirement to provide directions to the specimen inside a museum.

In my view, if you have to ask to see the specimens kept behind closed doors at a lab or university, then they are not publicly accessible. 

Sounds redundant and underprevalent 

The directions are to assist those wanting to find these artifact. Sometimes museums these are quite large, for example the Smithsonian's, so directions as in "enter the building, go up the escalators and look for the Space Hall" are all that's needed. Also if there are other artifacts inside the same museum, it helps finders and reviewers know which waymark goes with which exhibit. Maybe I rewrite this as a suggestions rather than a requirement as sometimes its much more clear as to where to find the specimen inside a museum.

I would say that this is very much prevalent. With pieces and artifacts in numerous small and large museums around the globe, even outside the US. There are over 800 pounds of moon rocks that were brought back to earth, with over half in public collections. They are not hard to find at all.

It's not really redundant as items in this category cannot be fully crossposted in other categories. Examples would be space suits, or scrap metal from a lunar lander, or boots from an astronaut. Categories that can be fully cross-waymarked are airports and inside airports, fossils and rock displays, azimuth and US benchmarks, etc. Here, I believe there is a clear, unique cut. Finding not just moon rocks, but actual artifacts that have been to the moon. Many of these cannot be waymarked in existing categories. Like metal scraps from lunar landers picked up by astronauts and personal items brought to the moon. This photo has a map of the locations of the Apollo command modules that are on display with most being in North America, but some artifacts in Europe, Asia, and Australia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Command/Service_Module#/media/File:Apollo_Spacecraft_Locations_World_Map.png

Perhaps instead of Lunar Specimens, the category be renamed to Lunar Artifacts to imply items that have been to the moon verse items that have originated from the moon. 

1 hour ago, elyob said:

Only rocks, dust and pieces of spacecraft are explained in the current category description.

Those are just a few examples, but I would also accept items the astronauts brought with them such as photos, or freeze dried food leftovers. I also explained that graves of Apollo astronauts would also be acceptable. Should I make this more clear in the category description?

17 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

Those are just a few examples, but I would also accept items the astronauts brought with them such as photos, or freeze dried food leftovers. I also explained that graves of Apollo astronauts would also be acceptable. Should I make this more clear in the category description?

I think all those things should be more clear in the description.  For example, the graves of the Apollo astronauts refers only to the twelve men who walked on the moon or does it include the astronauts that accompanied them back to Earth in the command modules?  Similarly, the category includes all items that returned to Earth on board the command modules that carried astronauts who had been on the lunar surface?

4 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

So we would be Waymarking TRASH and garbage???? 

Like I said, those are examples. It's not trash, but rather history that should be catalogue here on Waymarking.com. I should rephrase what I meant by leftovers. Many of the astronauts had leftovers. Packages that have yet to be opened. These food bags were sent to museums around the globe. I'll be updating the category to be much more clear in the next few days.

6 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

I notice that chunks of the moon have already been approved in Space Flight Memorials and Exhibits.

Keith

This is news to me as I know for a fact this is one of the stricter categories. I assume they would only accepted rocks that have been dedicated to other astronauts. I don't think I know of any moon rock memorials.

6 hours ago, elyob said:

I think all those things should be more clear in the description.  For example, the graves of the Apollo astronauts refers only to the twelve men who walked on the moon or does it include the astronauts that accompanied them back to Earth in the command modules?  Similarly, the category includes all items that returned to Earth on board the command modules that carried astronauts who had been on the lunar surface?

I agree and thanks for letting me know of this issue. I believe the intent of the category is to waymark items that have been to the moon whether they originated there or not. This would imply graves of only those who visited would be eligible for this category, while those who were left in the service module while in orbit around the moon would not be eligible. I think it'll be in my best interest to include a list of a wide variety of items that would be accepted in this category if is does pass peer review as it's still unclear. Let me re-write a few things and I'll post an update back here when those charged have been made. 

Thank you everyone for your input.

I assume that copies, replicas and facsimiles (of objects which have been exposed to lunar material) will not be accepted in this category.  As an example, however, if a museum displays their copy and explains why their original is not on display, could the copy be accepted as a waymark?

On 11/5/2017 at 10:45 AM, elyob said:

I assume that copies, replicas and facsimiles (of objects which have been exposed to lunar material) will not be accepted in this category.  As an example, however, if a museum displays their copy and explains why their original is not on display, could the copy be accepted as a waymark?

I would say copies and replicas should be placed in the Exact Replica category. Only actual artifacts that have visited the moon should be accepted.