It begins...

Criminal

Last year some people from the WSGA got together once or twice for snowshoeing to a cache. I'd love to give this a try, but it will be a first-time experience for me.

Cin

It sounds like fun. And the cache that they didn't find last year is still there to not find again this winter :)

Can one rent snow-shoes? I'm not sure I would do this enough to go out and buy a pair and all the fixings.

You can rent snowshoes at the Summit Nordic Center (Hyak) during the season. Not open yet, but hopefully by Dec. 6th. You can do the Hyak Tunnel cache from the John Wayne trailhead just beyond the Nordic Center. Reflections On Gold Creek Pond is also reachable by snowshoe or XCski.

The Exit 54 webcam (looking north/west) might make a good web cache - have your picture taken in front of the big orange grader that gets parked out there all winter!

paul2tele

So deep at Steven's it's covering the camera!

I need to move!

Are you nuts? I'd trade 10 days at Stevens for one day at Taos.

You're on! :D

What I meant was that it rarely snows here in town. I liked living in Denver much better. It snows there about every 2 weeks, but melts off the roads quickly. The snow sticks around for a few days each time. Here in Albuquerque, it snows maybe once a month, but only an inch or two at a time. It's gone by 10am. I'd rather have snow on the ground all winter long.

So deep at Steven's it's covering the camera!

I need to move!

Are you nuts? I'd trade 10 days at Stevens for one day at Taos.

You're on! :D

What I meant was that it rarely snows here in town. I liked living in Denver much better. It snows there about every 2 weeks, but melts off the roads quickly. The snow sticks around for a few days each time. Here in Albuquerque, it snows maybe once a month, but only an inch or two at a time. It's gone by 10am. I'd rather have snow on the ground all winter long.

Of course down in the lowlands of Seattle, it may snow once a year as it has done once already about three weeks ago or so (at least north of town). But it has been dumping hard in the Cascades. Two snowshoers already buried by avalanches. Let's be careful out there!

BTW - I love Taos (and Stevens Pass, too). Great snow. Something about riding a chair that tops out over 12,000 feet is very cool. And the high traverse - whoa!

I'm a little jealous. I haven't been able to enjoy real *snow* since I left Boston. The stuff Seattle gets isn't worth mentioning. It melts if you just look at it.

All snow does to me out here is make my regular travels over the passes that much more of an unendurable experience. :lol:

It didn't used to be that way. Blame whatever you want, we used to have great snow here that lasted for weeks instead of days or worse.

Can one rent snow-shoes?  I'm not sure I would do this enough to go out and buy a pair and all the fixings.

Yep! REI is one place that does so.

Wildnerness Sports in Bellevue does rent hem also.

I have six pair of snowshoes, they can be made available for the right group trek proposal (preferably involving post-cache a microbrew victory celebration - am I talking to the right crowd?).

I have six pair of snowshoes, they can be made available for the right group trek proposal (preferably involving post-cache a microbrew victory celebration - am I talking to the right crowd?).

I'll be happy to join... open to any suggestion!

Count me in, too!

Also, Nolenator - I'd love to try to connect w/you for an XC ski outing sometime this fall/winter. I have a friend in Portland who comes up occasionally, you remind me of him, you both crack me up. He's a big XC nut (I'm only intermediate) and he does biathlons in the winter. Maybe we could get a group together of skicachers (and Mike, the non-caching skier).

I run the Activity Center at Schweitzer Mountain Resort near Sandpoint, Idaho. We've got a few caches out on the slopes and the snowshoe trail and in the village. I'm hoping for more. We have 5 Sportrak Map GPSr's available for rent for geocaching or to record ski tracks. Still developing the program, working on pricing and such. I would like to see more caches out on the hill and wondering what advice people might have about placing winter-friendly hides. Thoughts?

Snow coming down at my place near Monroe. Let it snow! Cache ahead and I were up snow shoeing 2 days ago above Stevens Pass and it was fantastic. Cold, but sunny blue skys and lots of new snow. The ski area looks to be hurting for snow though. There was anywhere from 2-10 ft on Skyline Ridge. While looking for a cache site for Skyline the Top I found a drivers license!......It was sitting sideways about 6 ft down a near verticle wall of snow. I reached down with my ski poles and plucked it from the snow. Weirdest thing I ever saw. Who's up for some snow shoe caching? Here's a pic from my newest cache looking down on the ski areaStevens%20Pass.jpg Oh BTW there is a M10 coin and EGH's WA Geocoin #384.

It is beautiful in Cach-cadia. Snow falling all day. Leavenworth a picture perfect town except for all the cars slidding all over the place. This snow is much welcomed and needed even if it puts the caching on hold. I'm not quite ready for the snowshoes yet. Maybe next year! ~ Tudles