Awarded Locations

From time to time I stumbled across some trophies and plaques of  Awarded Locations, I find them interesting and I've been thinking of a category dedicated to them.

Below you can see some of my finds as an example.

59fb5fd41733c_1-Copy(Mobile).jpg.02c2f62b595ed515ac09cc34e3a06b73.jpg

Porto Airport won the Airport Service Quality Awards 2007 in Europe.

59fb5fd5f290d_2-Copy(Mobile).jpg.60e9ba781e5f0a993a130e1b05d1b3bb.jpg

Abrantes was Awarded in the 1996  European Competition for Towns and Villages in Bloom.

59fb5fd7f04c3_3-Copy(Mobile).jpg.64bae7cbaa3cc3e64f03fa80e8957e56.jpg

National Prize for Landscape Architecture 2005, 1st Prize in the category of Public Spaces.

59fb5fdab5c6c_4-Copy(Mobile).jpg.2cfeb02f5c4ba6179ac2600e892fd988.jpg

Professor Egas Moniz Street won Best Street 2011 in the beauty contest of streets of the Municipality of Albergaria-a-Velha.

What do you think about this idea?

On 02/11/2017 at 7:14 PM, elyob said:

While thinking of the category of Historic Preservation Awards, I was wondering: would the focus here be the award or the site or both?

The goal of the category would be to find an waymark a physical representation of the prize together with the award-winning location. 

23 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I think, this is a great idea. I've seen such awards several times. One tiny problem I see: If awards of companies (like the airport you mentioned) are accepted, there will be lots of these. For example: Almost all wineries, breweries, even butchers etc. have earned an award some time for one of their products.

I think these prizes should not be accepted in the category.  For example if a winery has a trophy for "Best Winery of 2017" this would be accepted because it was assigned to the location, if the trophy is for "Signal Wine, best wine of 2017" this would not be accepted as it was not attributed to a location but to a product.

6 hours ago, razalas said:

The goal of the category would be to find an waymark a physical representation of the prize together with the award-winning location. 

I think these prizes should not be accepted in the category.  For example if a winery has a trophy for "Best Winery of 2017" this would be accepted because it was assigned to the location, if the trophy is for "Signal Wine, best wine of 2017" this would not be accepted as it was not attributed to a location but to a product.

I'm afraid that "Best Winery" and "Best wine" are too similar, not only in the letters, but also in the meaning. What does it take to receive a "Best Winery" award? Do they have to sell lots of wine or produce very good wine? And will such award plaques describe the criteria?

I'm not sure, what the best words would be to do it, but I think this category should be limited to subjects that are "visible" or "experiencable". For example: "European Competition for Towns and Villages in Bloom": You can see the many flowers in this town/village. "Beauty contest of streets of the Municipality of Albergaria-a-Velha": You can walk through that street and admire its beauty etc.

But how do I experience the "Best winery", if there is no further Information like "in the category Preservation of old varieties of wine" or something like that? Also, some wineries here in Austria run a so-called "Heurigen" (kind of a tavern, where they sell their wine) and will exhibit their awards there, but their vineyards, wine cellars etc. (where they work for the award) are probably miles away.

I think we need some more discussion on this topic.

Edited by PISA-caching
On ‎05‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 1:49 AM, elyob said:

Winery is a physical location that can be waymarked.  Wine is an object that could be in many locations.

A typical winery (here in Austria) is not ONE location. Often they consist of several locations (see above). Some wineries have several vineyards in different areas, some have multiple wine cellars and they run more than one Heurigen. And yes, of course we can't waymark a bottle of the best wine of 2009, but we can waymark the winery that produced it and the difference between "Best winery 2009" and "Winery that produced the best wine of 2009" is quite slim.

17 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

...Some wineries have several vineyards in different areas, some have multiple wine cellars and they run more than one Heurigen. And yes, of course we can't waymark a bottle of the best wine of 2009, but we can waymark the winery that produced it and the difference between "Best winery 2009" and "Winery that produced the best wine of 2009" is quite slim.

Indeed, the difference, it seems to me, is quite slim - so slim, in fact that it becomes purely a matter of semantics. The "Winery that produced the best wine of 2009" is, in most regions, likely the same winery that won the award entitled "Best winery 2009", as such awards are, as a rule, the result of the winery's having won one or more competitions, locally, nationally and/or internationally, thence becoming recognized as the "Winery that produced the best wine of 2009".

The fact that a winery may have several locations and vineyards far afield seems irrelevant to me. Each winery should have a headquarters, or corporate office. In some cases that may be where one might expect to find a winery's awards; in other cases one might find those awards at one or even all of the winery's satellite wine cellars, Heurigens or vineyards. I fail to see that as potentially breaking this category.

To quote razalas: "The goal of the category would be to find an[d] waymark a physical representation of the prize together with the award-winning location." It reads as though the intention is that the award should be the object of primary importance here, the actual location taking backstage, whether it be corporate headquarters or one of a winery's dozen wine cellars. After all, without the award it remains simply a winery. To quote my wife: "I think you're turning this into brain surgery."

Keith

4 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Indeed, the difference, it seems to me, is quite slim - so slim, in fact that it becomes purely a matter of semantics. The "Winery that produced the best wine of 2009" is, in most regions, likely the same winery that won the award entitled "Best winery 2009", as such awards are, as a rule, the result of the winery's having won one or more competitions, locally, nationally and/or internationally, thence becoming recognized as the "Winery that produced the best wine of 2009".

The fact that a winery may have several locations and vineyards far afield seems irrelevant to me. Each winery should have a headquarters, or corporate office. In some cases that may be where one might expect to find a winery's awards; in other cases one might find those awards at one or even all of the winery's satellite wine cellars, Heurigens or vineyards. I fail to see that as potentially breaking this category.

To quote razalas: "The goal of the category would be to find an[d] waymark a physical representation of the prize together with the award-winning location." It reads as though the intention is that the award should be the object of primary importance here, the actual location taking backstage, whether it be corporate headquarters or one of a winery's dozen wine cellars. After all, without the award it remains simply a winery. To quote my wife: "I think you're turning this into brain surgery."

Keith

I didn't mean to say that all this is breaking the category. I only suggest to keep in mind, that "Most beautiful street of xxxxx" will be ONE location with most likely ONE phisical award to waymark. Wineries (and every other business with multiple locations) might present their award(s) at several locations. In the Flags of Organizations category, only ONE specific flag is allowed, so should every award only be allowed once or can I waymark the same award twice if I find a sign in their vineyards AND at the Heurigen? Or think of a supermarket chain with dozens/hundreds of branches!

AND, what if a winery has more than one Award (Best winery 2009, Best winery 2012,...)? Can I post multiple waymarks at the same location?

Again, I don't want to find reasons for denying the category, I just try to find things that should be considered before Peer Review starts.

Edited by PISA-caching

Point taken. The mention of supermarkets introduces a scary thought. Allow only one per corporate entity or each one discovered? Allowing only one is essentially impossible to police, as it would leave it up to the reviewer to check for dupes nationwide, sometimes worldwide. Initially that would be a breeze, but after the category had accumulated 1,000 Waymarks it would become a bit troublesome. It would seem that Pedro has some weighty decisions to ponder.

Keith

That's exactly what I was thinking about. There are awards like "Best recruiter" and since they are not for a product, but for the company, they would be accepted. But if a supermarket chain wins that prize and presents that award in all their branches, we have a problem. Therefore I suggested to limit it to awards for something "visible" (for example: Most beautiful street in xxxx) or "experiencable" (for example: Concert hall with the best acoustics).

I see these best of "whatever" awards EVERY year from several communities near me awarded to businesses. There're are literally dozens of these award-winning places, like dentists, dry cleaners, real estate agents, dog groomer, yoga studio, hair saloon, bar/pub, hardware store, florist, plumber, veterinarian, nail saloon, and auto mechanic, just to name some that won't already fit in other existing categories. Multiply the local awards I see near me by the number of places around the planet by the number of possible years awards could have been given and I see over-prevalence everywhere. This will end up being the Waymarking community celebrating/publicizing these businesses, one more time in addition to the initial awards. The current general attitude among the Waymarking community seems to that businesses do not need to be brought into this fold. 

I don't think common, even "best of", businesses deserve our recognition. They are not as worthy as award-winning architectural prizes, which are much more interesting and lasting.

• Upvote 3
43 minutes ago, DougK said:

I don't think common, even "best of", businesses deserve our recognition. They are not as worthy as award-winning architectural prizes, which are much more interesting and lasting.

In general I agree. On the other hand there might be companies, that do deserve our recognition for whatever reason (maybe because they donated lots of money for a social projects, or because they own and are situated in the most beautiful house of a certain city, ...). In other words, I would leave it up to the officers, if they accept company waymarks in a few selected situations.

Thank you for your comments and for the issues raised, this is why is good to bring this to the forums first.

So the best way to go is the category to be for Awards given to the physical structures and not the activities that are performed there.

Also a Waymarker can only post one  Waymark for each structure:
- If a Structure as won different Awards each Waymarker can only post one Award in the Category. 
- If a location as won the same award multiple years this should be posted as one Waymark.  

Towns and Villages in Bloom.

2 hours ago, razalas said:

So the best way to go is the category to be for Awards given to the physical structures and not the activities that are performed there.

Also a Waymarker can only post one  Waymark for each structure:
- If a Structure as won different Awards each Waymarker can only post one Award in the Category.
- If a location as won the same award multiple years this should be posted as one Waymark. 

Unfortunately that tactic, awarding physical structures, may eliminate "Towns and Villages in Bloom" (known here as Communities in Bloom), towns and villages worthy of recognition. I'd hate to see these excluded. Their awards, though, might well be on view at city hall or a similar place.

Another thought - these awards have also been placed on, or included in, towns' welcome signs.

Keith

4 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Towns and Villages in Bloom.

Unfortunately that tactic, awarding physical structures, may eliminate "Towns and Villages in Bloom" (known here as Communities in Bloom), towns and villages worthy of recognition. I'd hate to see these excluded. Their awards, though, might well be on view at city hall or a similar place.

Another thought - these awards have also been placed on, or included in, towns' welcome signs.

Keith

Australia has the same idea with its Keep Australia Beautiful Tidy Towns Awards eg Barmera, South Australia 2017. These awards often appear on the town's Welcome Sign & a plaque in the council chambers I'd say. There are also awards for Sustainable Cities & Clean Beaches & Waterways. 

The question is: What exactly is a "structure"? In the initial posting there is a street mentioned as one of the examples. Is that also a structure? If not, it would also be eliminated from the list of possible waymarks (which would be a shame).

Also, here in Vienna, Austria we have the S45, an old train line, that earned an award for its restoration. I've already taken photos of that award and hope that I didn't do it in vain. ;-)

Time to bring this idea up again. I'm still a fan of it and I'm sure the problems mentioned above can be solved. As for the welcome signs, yes, I would accept them, as long as the words clearly say that the town won a specific award, for example:

Tetbury_Town_Sign_-_geograph.org.uk_-_27

and not just just claims to be something, for example:

7a8f6f3c-f8d9-4c4e-a904-89ffb23b099f.jpg

Sometimes the words might not be that clear, but if the waymark owner can also provide some other source, it should be quite easy to decide what is an award or not.

4 hours ago, bluesnote said:

I'd vote yea, so long as the award isn't fit in any existing category. I would also suggest if there is no plaque or award on site, a website documentation could suffice.

Waymarks in the categories "Entertainment Awards", "Girl Scout Gold Award Project Sites" & "Historic Preservation Awards" should be excluded then. Any other categories?

15 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Will this be a catch-all awards category? I’m having trouble wrapping my head around what I can and cannot waymark here. 

I would assume so. It's a category to cover all the gaps. This category would be for buildings and structures. I would think it could be expanded to art sculptures if certain ones won awards. So far, awards are excluded include:

Eagle Scout Projects (structures)

Girl Scout Gold Award Project Sites (structures)

Entertainment Awards (for people, not really for buildings)

Historic Preservation Awards (This new category would exclude preservation awards from private organizations, city, state, national, and International levels)
Trophies, Medals and Cups (which only includes national / international level awards, mainly for sports and people)
Architecture Prizes (only for certain international architecture awards) (This new category would cover city, state, national, and even some International awards)
Engineering Landmarks (probably should exclude these as well)

Is there anything else that should be excluded?

Here is a first draft of what the category would be, please comment what you think to see if we can fine tune the category.

Description:

All over the world there are physical locations that for several reasons have won awards and are worth visiting. This category aims to find and Waymark physical representations of these awards together with the locations (buildings, bridges, streets, gardens, towns, ..) that were awarded.

Expanded Description:

This category aims to find and Waymark physical representations of these awards together with the locations (buildings, bridges, streets, gardens, towns, ..) that were awarded.

The object of the waymark  will be the award. Physical representations of awards can be:

Trophies, medals, plaques, framed diplomas, welcome signals.

(Advertising such as a billboards ot marketing campaign posters are not accepted.)

Awards not accepted in the category:

-Awards that have been given to commercial or institutional activities that take place in a location.

(Examples: Best Supermarket, Best Restaurant, Best Winery, Best Charity Institution …)

-Awards that have been given to products made or sold at a location.

(Examples: Best pizza, Best wine, Best car, ...)

-Awards that have been given to entertainment held at a location.

(Examples: Best Festival, Best concert, Best Theater Play, …)

-Awards that have been given for Historic Preservation.

(This can be posted in the Historic Preservation Awards category)

Instructions for Posting a Location Awawrd Waymark:

To post a waymark in this category you must visit a Awarded Location, locate the award take some pictures to the Award and to the Location and get some useful information about it.

-Coordinates must be taken by you during the visit to the site.

-Provide at least two different good quality daylight photos, one of the award and other of the Location.  More photos are always appreciated.

-Include as much information as you can get about it in the long description.

-Waymarks without Long / Detailed description will not be accepted.

-Citations are allowed, but must be clearly declared, including the source.

-The description must be in English, but if you want you can add other languages.

-You must make every attempt to follow a naming convention: Award Name - Location Name - City, State, Country

Please remember that it is a first draft, so following the comments there will still be some improvements. Thanks.

Edited by razalas

Question: would this qualify as an award?   Imagine the Stories

Each year, in Castlegar, is the sculpture Walk. This is an annual event for over 10 years and the sculptures change each year. There are many sculptures on display (2019 about 30), there is a voting ballot where people vote for their favorite sculpture. Votes are tallied, and the sculpture with the most votes is awarded the coveted honor of being chosen "People's Choice Award" for that given year. They receive a cash award, the city purchases the sculpture and it is put on permanent display in Castlegar. There almost always  is a plaque indicating it was the People's Choice Award.

1407941733_aCastlegarImaginetheStories(16).JPG.07f86b251bd2d3366f63a606811e3c94.JPG

Edited by T0SHEA

I go back to DougK's original comment when this was brought up - this category would be just way too common to merit inclusion.      There's really nothing special to this - in my mind, a lot of these awards are like participation awards given to everyone in a little kids soccer league.  ...sometimes, like the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the "Award" winners actually PAY to get the award, or they politic their communities for voting so they can win the award.  It has nothing to do with the actual merit of the action.   Nah, way too broad in scope.  With the description you have above, the "Tree City" award  from the National Arbor Day Foundation would account for 3400 waymarks just in the US.   What happens with multiple awards at a location?  Multiple waymarks?  Nah, this is going to be just way too common and potential very subjective by the category officers.

• Upvote 3