Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Tante.Hossi

Paragliding and Hang Gliding Loactions

29 posts in this topic

During my travels I came around several official locations where it is allowed to use paragliders and hang gliders.
More background informations on Paragliding and Hang Gliding.

I'm sure we do not have a category for those locations. But I think they are intersting. It makes fun to watch them starting and flying. And flying them must be much more fun.

There are several databases online listing this locations worldwide.

What do you think? Is this a valid and intersting idea?

20170814_105427.jpg

Edited by Tante.Hossi
0

Share this post


Link to post

It's an excellent idea, what do you think about expanding this idea with Parasailing and/or Kitesurfing, like that it could me more prevalent

0

Share this post


Link to post

Have fun coming up with one name that encompasses those activities.  Photographs for the posted waymark "must" include the activity.

0

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, elyob said:

Have fun coming up with one name that encompasses those activities.  Photographs for the posted waymark "must" include the activity.

That would be exceedingly difficult, since the activities are sporadic in nature, can go on for many miles at a time far from launch points (if there are any) and seasonal in many cases. With this photographic restriction, we would be a no. 

0

Share this post


Link to post

I have watched these activities from the dunes on the outer banks of NC and from mountain top launch sites in VA & KY where there have been fatal accidents. 

Often the location is just a cliff. Good luck with your idea. It sounds like a difficult category. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post

I know that they just need a cliff or a mountain to start their flight. But I'm talking about official locations with rules and a sign.

I came to locations where there was an aerial lift to bring the paragliders up to the starting point, they needed a ticket (and sometimes a flying license) to fligh there. There were rules where to start and where to land. I'm just talking about those locations - otherways it would be a hard category to manage.

20170814_105027.jpg

20170814_141652.jpg

20170814_141656.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post

In alpine areas, there are usually designated and signed starting and landing zones. These are easy to identify. Parasailing and/or Kitesurfing work everywhere, usually beaches, when it is flat and there is enough wind. Extending the category to those would be a problem to verify. If you want to extend, then think about base jumping and wingsuiting locations.

1

Share this post


Link to post

I have never see these kinds of signs. Is this a commercial enterprise? 

Whete I have seen parasailing in state of national parks, it's just a known and an authorized jumping off place, but there are no official landing zones that I know of. PGs are just asked to use good judgement - 

Is this going to another sign Waymarking category? 

 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I have never see these kinds of signs. Is this a commercial enterprise? 

Whete I have seen parasailing in state of national parks, it's just a known and an authorized jumping off place, but there are no official landing zones that I know of. PGs are just asked to use good judgement - 

Is this going to another sign Waymarking category? 

 

There are sometimes commercial enterprises using these sites as well, and the signage is often not done by authorities, but the administration of nearest aerial lift as an example. But the sites are always free to use by anyone.

The signage has several reasons:

Convenience: good places to start and land where you don't have to bear the heavy equipment too far.

Safety: they know best what areas are fun and which ones are to avoid.

And last, but not least, this is not no man's land. There is a lot of agriculture in the alpine zone, especially down in the valley bottom. The farmers do not want you to trample their pasture and corn and you don't want to land in the corral of their bulls.

1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, fi67 said:

And last, but not least, this is not no man's land. There is a lot of agriculture in the alpine zone, especially down in the valley bottom. The farmers do not want you to trample their pasture and corn and you don't want to land in the corral of their bulls.

 

Sounds like they differ too much from the ones I have came across, and I have never seen a sign at a launch location.

0

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, fi67 said:

There are sometimes commercial enterprises using these sites as well, and the signage is often not done by authorities, but the administration of nearest aerial lift as an example. But the sites are always free to use by anyone.

The signage has several reasons:

Convenience: good places to start and land where you don't have to bear the heavy equipment too far.

Safety: they know best what areas are fun and which ones are to avoid.

And last, but not least, this is not no man's land. There is a lot of agriculture in the alpine zone, especially down in the valley bottom. The farmers do not want you to trample their pasture and corn and you don't want to land in the corral of their bulls.

Roger, that!  Being from Texas, I know all about BULLS!  LOL

0

Share this post


Link to post

I've visited several locations usually used to this type of flights around here, but the only physical structure present in these places was a pole for a windsock (the windsock is only placed on the pole when there is activity). 

0

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, razalas said:

I've visited several locations usually used to this type of flights around here, but the only physical structure present in these places was a pole for a windsock (the windsock is only placed on the pole when there is activity). 

 

I could WM several interesting launch sites, but none with signage, which seems to be the set standard of what we can WM.

0

Share this post


Link to post

If there is no signage a picture of the activity would be necessary to validate the spot

1

Share this post


Link to post

The NZHGPA is the governing body of paragliding and hang gliding in New Zealand and exists to develop, protect and promote the sport of hang gliding and paragliding in New Zealand. From the NZHGPA website http://www.nzhgpa.org.nz :  "In New Zealand flying sites are controlled and administered by local clubs who negotiate agreements for access and usage with the owners or government bodies. Many sites have very strict rules concerning the land access or airspace. Please familiarise yourself with the rules for any site you wish to visit by contacting the local club pilots or an instructor at the Hang Gliding Schools or Paragliding Schools before flying".

We have often spotted hang gliders in action and know of several favourite sites. No signage,  but plenty of action to be seen.

We like the idea of this category but you will eliminate many Flying Sites if you insist on signage. As we drive around the countryside we have often seen popular hang gliding sites, where lots of vehicles are parked on a grass field  with hang gliders soaring off the top of a steep bushcovered or rocky ridge and circling overhead, and that is usually the only sign you'll get that this is a popular flying site! Of course, Commercial Tourist activities will probably be signposted,  but other Club sites are often just listed on Club websites.

Are you going to include Parasailing (parachute towed by boat)? What about kite-surfing? 

0

Share this post


Link to post

On second thoughts,  Parasailing and Kite Surfing should have their own categories.

Found a website about Air Sports that might help you choose a Category Name,

 Air Sports. http://www.topendsports.com/sport/air-sports.htm

 It appears that there are three categories, Motorized Air Sports, Wind/Gliding Air Sports and Gravity Air Sports. Your choice of Hang gliding and Paragliding comes under the Wind/Gliding Air Sports title along with a few other airborne activities. Perhaps you could call your category  Wind/Gliding Air Sports? or something like Wind/Gliding Watchers (which indicates you're after the flying site locations where the public can watch the activity)? You'd have to be clear about which sports you will include or exclude.

.

0

Share this post


Link to post

It's much the same in Australia as it is in NZ, with a national body, the Hang Gliding Federation of Australia, which also includes paragliding. There are Regional & State Associations & individual clubs.  There are 104 hang gliding sites listed on their site https://siteguide.org.au/sitesindex.html  The best known site is Bald Hill at Stanwell Tops near Wollongong & it has clearly defined procedures https://siteguide.org.au/Sites/Stanwell Park - Bald Hill.html.  Apart from individual hang gliders, several companies offer hang gliding lessons & tandem flying at Bald Hill. I had a look at a site in the Blue Mountains & it is a cliff top jump with a short ramp. Remote, very dangerous & probably no need for a sign as only the very experienced should fly from there. 

I like the idea of this category but you will eliminate many sites if you insist on signage.   A sign would only be for the benefit of travellers so perhaps Bald Hill has one given its position next to a major road & being one of the world's great coastal hang gliding & paragliding sites. Landing locations are negotiated with the landholders, councils by the clubs so often no access to the public.    

Parasailing and Kite Surfing should have their own category. One is commercial, the other can pop up anywhere along the coast if the conditions are right. 

I've seen go karts powered by a sail on nearby 7 Mile Beach - another idea.   

0

Share this post


Link to post

I will try to get a definition of the allowed and excluded activities for this potential category:

Included: Paragliding, Hang Gliding, Base Jumping, Wingsuiting

Excluded: Skydiving, Parasailing, Kitesurfing, Windsurfing, Bungee Jumping, motorized Hang Gliding

Any more to include or exclude?

0

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Tante.Hossi said:

I will try to get a definition of the allowed and excluded activities for this potential category:

Included: Paragliding, Hang Gliding, Base Jumping, Wingsuiting

Excluded: Skydiving, Parasailing, Kitesurfing, Windsurfing, Bungee Jumping, motorized Hang Gliding

Any more to include or exclude?

Excluded: Parascending

Edited by GeoMaulis
0

Share this post


Link to post

I see now, the locations with signs and rules seem to be a German thing. Maybe we have to find another definition of the allowed locations.

How about: Any location for the included activities marked by a sign or a structure like starting ramps, or any location listed on the website of (local) clubs or databases available online.

Would this fit to the most locations you know?

I don't want to be too restrictive because I don't want to loose the best locations only because there is no sign.

1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, GeoMaulis said:

Excluded: Parascending

This seems to be another word for Parasailing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Tante.Hossi said:

This seems to be another word for Parasailing.

Ups. Only know Parascending for this kind. Sorry.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Parascending is a group activity where pilots fly canopies that are towed into the air by a Land Rover or winch (or can be a boat) before releasing and gliding back down to land. Not actually jumping off a cliff.  Parasailing is similar but towed by a boat on water and you don't release.... hopefully.  You just get pulled in or towed back to shore. But, my effort at this ended in a wet dunking at the end anyway! :)

https://www.bhpa.co.uk/sport/parascender/ 

Your list of Included Activities: Paragliding, Hang Gliding, Base Jumping, Wingsuiting sounds good, so long as the Wingsuiting isn't out of a plane. So you're saying no vehicles involved?     BTW, Have you ever seen anyone Sky Surfing?...but that's out of a plane.

0

Share this post


Link to post

People in areas where there are no mountains, cliffs who want to hang glide use aerotowing. They're towed  by a motorised hang glider.  Required to do a course then $25 to $35 per tow. There are you tube videos of the procedure. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
On 6.11.2017 at 3:29 PM, Tante.Hossi said:

I see now, the locations with signs and rules seem to be a German thing. Maybe we have to find another definition of the allowed locations.

How about: Any location for the included activities marked by a sign or a structure like starting ramps, or any location listed on the website of (local) clubs or databases available online.

...

Good idea. I know both: Hang glider launching ramps with detailed flight rules and paragliding spots on hills where just a small windsock is marking the launching place.

Here's my webcam waymark at such a starting place...
http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMW57B_Schoene_Aussicht_Hang_glider_launching_platform_Serrig_Germany

0

Share this post


Link to post

I have created a new group to manage this new category.

Please join if you are interested.

0

Share this post


Link to post

We did paragliding 20 years ago but leave this fantastic hobby cause it is very expensive and a lot of driving necessary when mountains are not nearby, little bit dangerous as well.

But we like the idea to waymark those locations. When we are on tour and come along a starting or landing area by chance we always stop and take some time to see the activities.

We assume that this catogory will collect great pictures i.a. showing gliders starting and landing, ..... we will vote "yea" :-)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post

Great idea for a category, count with my vote if it catches me in one of my rare PM periods

0

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2