Lowrance Endura Sierra

poohgc

Hello all. I purchased a Lowrance Endura Sierra a long, long time ago and the power button broke off a few days ago. I found a next to new one on the internet for a few bucks and bought it. When I received it I found it hadn't been updated to version 1.5. I went to Lowrance website and they had the update but only for a 32 bit installer (my computer is a 64 bit installer). I emailed Lowrance to ask if they had a 64 bit installer and three days later I still haven't received a response, but notice they have now removed access to this update. Does anyone have the files that were extracted from that 32 bit installer to see if I can update this new (old) GPS? Updating it gives better satellite signal if I remember correctly. Either that or does someone still have a 32 bit machine lying around who can run this installer to extract the files?

Thank you!

I have the 1.5.1 zip file. I updated my Sierra a long time ago with it and my computer is also a 64 bit (Vista). I don't recall having any problems with the software update so I think it should work OK on your 64 bit computer. I tried to send the zip file to you via the Geocaching messaging system, but it wouldn't allow me to attach a Zip file. If you want to PM me with your email address I will send the file to you in an email attachment. It is under 10 MB.

Incidentally, the power button broke off quite a while ago on my SIerra too. I tried to get Sharcnet to repair it but they wouldn't touch a Lowrance. So I discovered I can still use the Sierra although it is a bit awkward. I turn it on by briefly plugging it into a USB power source, then unplug it as it is booting up. My car has a USB port, so I usually power it up before I start my hike. I have also used one of those portable USB charger/battery packs to turn it on. Then when it gets booted up, I go into the Settings Power Saving and set the Power Saving mode to None. I also set the Power Saving Timeout to Always On. That way the device doesn't go into sleep lock mode so you can use it until the battery runs down. I set the screen timeout to a short interval to help save battery power. To shut the unit off, I go back into the menu and change the Power Saving mode to Power Down and the Timeout to 5 minutes. Then all I have to do is let it sit for 5 minutes and it powers itself off.  

Edited by alandb

Just a thought. It's not really a good idea to replace outdated and unsupported technology with the same technology when your devices break. Rather, it's a better idea to something a little bit more current, even if it's not the latest device on the market. Something 1-2 generations behind will be a much better solution than something that is almost 10 years old. Since you only spent a few bucks on the replacement Lowrance, you're not out much. But rather than use it as your primary GPS device, get something more current and use the Sierra as part of your old gadget restoration hobby.

I wished I would have received notification of all these messages!  I did find all the update files here: ftp://software.lowrance.com/ , but none of them would install. It needed java 1.6 which I also installed, but it still give me errors and I was never able to get the unit updated. I guess I'll have to upgrade to a different brand. Crossing my fingers I can find something that worked as well as the Endura did. Thank you to those who had a helpful response.