Virtuals... ethics?

dicentra

3 hours ago, Joshism said:

I don't make any distinction between myself and my 'geo-self'.

I'm not surprised. I've noticed a lot of people meld the two. But I find it a convenient way to resolve issues like this. As Harry Dolphin just mentioned, the logic of the geo-self being identical to the real self leads to logging caches on locations visiting 60 years ago, before the idea of knowing exactly where you were on the planet even existed. That makes zero sense to me. The logical way out is to view it as my geo-self not existing before I signed up. That also avoids things like feeling like you have to relog thousands of caches when you split up with your geo-partner and get an independent account: I'd see the old team as a completely different entity, so it would make no sense to think those caches should be logged again under my new account.

• Upvote 1
On 03/11/2017 at 5:41 PM, Harry Dolphin said:

Ooh!  I visited Niagara Falls in 1956!  Can I log it?  I'd ask my aunt if she had a picture of  me there, but she died in 1975...   :wacko:

Since we are on the topic of ethics, is it ethical to make this kind of mean-spirited comment? Is this behaviour more ethical than logging a virtual geocache with the owner's permission?

17 minutes ago, narcissa said:

Since we are on the topic of ethics, is it ethical to make this kind of mean-spirited comment? Is this behaviour more ethical than logging a virtual geocache with the owner's permission?

You are presuming that his aunt's spirit is mean.   Perhaps she's cool, like that bathroom ghost in Harry Potter.