Cool Tool - Multi-Pruner

SoutheastCamper

The game lands we have hides, and an ACE area with caches too,  I can see asking us to remove hides if there's "an issue", rather than remove/cut down any plants in their areas.  Most already have signage on removing/altering plants on properties within their borders.

Those properties don't belong to us...

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

The game lands we have hides, and an ACE area with caches too,  I can see asking us to remove hides if there's "an issue", rather than remove/cut down any plants in their areas.  Most already have signage on removing/altering plants on properties within their borders.

Those properties don't belong to us...

Good point. I was responding to the stated question about having seen multitools that included pruning shears.

But the unstated question is whether this kind of tool is an appropriate addition to one's caching bag. And unless you're in an area where you're allowed to cut branches off plants, the answer is NO.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, niraD said:

Good point. I was responding to the stated question about having seen multitools that included pruning shears.

But the unstated question is whether this kind of tool is an appropriate addition to one's caching bag. And unless you're in an area where you're allowed to cut branches off plants, the answer is NO.

The OP stated " It will be a good addition to my Caching Bag." in his opening post.  :)

Pruning plants near GZ sounds like a slippery slope (best avoided entirely).  Otherwise we'll be seeing logs about how the finder "replaced the soggy log and used my weedwhacker to tidy things up."  :rolleyes: Well-meaning but dangerous-to-the-sport.  Irate landowners could cause problems. Avoid 2.5 or higher terrain and thorns will be less of a problem.  Or choose protective clothing.

In the past there was a discussion about the best machetes to carry on the trail! (More macho than pruning shears, I guess.  ;) ) Same issue.

12 hours ago, wmpastor said:

Pruning plants near GZ sounds like a slippery slope (best avoided entirely).  Otherwise we'll be seeing logs about how the finder "replaced the soggy log and used my weedwhacker to tidy things up."  :rolleyes: Well-meaning but dangerous-to-the-sport.  Irate landowners could cause problems. Avoid 2.5 or higher terrain and thorns will be less of a problem.  Or choose protective clothing.

In the past there was a discussion about the best machetes to carry on the trail! (More macho than pruning shears, I guess.  ;) ) Same issue.

Irate land owners cause problems? :lol:

41 minutes ago, wmpastor said:

Yeah, when I send them my bill for landscaping services!  :D

But seriously, isn't this a variation on the nails-in-tree issue, etc.?

Times and guidelines must have changed, I'm seeing more "birdhouse" caches attached to trees. I've learned where not to hide geocaches from bad experiences. ;)

I have a nice big ammo can in a bramble that requires bushwacking. It don't get many visits. :D

On 11/1/2017 at 10:38 AM, SoutheastCamper said:

Hi, Everybody

I got this Multi Tool Pruner when I bought a Gardening Magazine Subscription (many years ago). I forgot I had it.

It will be very handy when dealing with briars, etc. It will be a good addition to my Caching Bag.

Has anyone else seen one of these?

Dan

Multi-Pruner.jpg

If you want to carry these "just in case," they look good.  Try to only use them in extreme circumstances.

Of course machetes are more extreme, and their use has been discussed for at least 15 years.

IMG_20171112_160645.jpg

Well...if we're going to talk about avoiding removal of underbrush and vegetative obstacles, perhaps we ought not use the term "bushwhacking" when publishing or logging a cache.

I mean, I know it's just a word, but it does imply a certain degree of latitude is given with respect to removal of pesky green stuff.

Definition of bushwhack

intransitive verb
:to clear a path through thick woods especially by chopping down bushes and low branches

I believe most associate the word with...

bush·whack
ˈbo͝oSHˌ(h)wak/  
verb
verb: bushwhack; 3rd person present: bushwhacks; past tense: bushwhacked; past participle: bushwhacked; gerund or present participle: bushwhacking
  1. 1.
    North American / Australian / NZ
    live or travel in wild or uncultivated country.
    "I have not seen a bear yet after seven days of bushwhacking"
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, cerberus1 said:
I believe most associate the word with...

bush·whack
ˈbo͝oSHˌ(h)wak/  
verb
verb: bushwhack; 3rd person present: bushwhacks; past tense: bushwhacked; past participle: bushwhacked; gerund or present participle: bushwhacking
  1. 1.
    North American / Australian / NZ
    live or travel in wild or uncultivated country.
    "I have not seen a bear yet after seven days of bushwhacking"

Believe what you want.

Honestly, I don't think any person on earth would be concerned with a few dead branches, thorny vines or pricker bushes getting cut or pruned.  Nobody is going in and hacking a path with a machete. 

33 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

Nobody is going in and hacking a path with a machete. 

On some caches, I'm pretty sure it was a bulldozer.  :ph34r:

I would hope the OP was about cool tools.  Actually, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the OP was about.  The thread, not so much.  That is, there is a cool pruner or a machete or chainsaw or whatever, which you may use where permitted and even so, where appropriate.  I have caches in county parks where clipping a thorn vine is fine.  But in a State Park that's not allowed except by park staff.  The cool tool works well regardless.

My caches don't require cutting anything.  The caches where people stomp a hole through the bushes, those become compromised caches and get archived.  So when I see logs about finders being scratched by "all the sticker bushes", I know that cache is going away.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1