Problem changing image in URWIGO

day1976

Hi guys,

I have written a few wherigos now, including some rather complicated ones.  But my latest one (which I thought would be a lot easier to write) is turning out to give me a headache over something that seems like it should just work.  But I'm obviously missing something.

I have actually done this before on another cartridge where an image of an item is changed as the item morphs during the playing of the cartridge.  IN one of my previous cartridges, the magic parchment slowly changes image one by one as the player visits different locations to finally reveal the full set of co-ordinates in the final image.  This worked fine, no problems.

The cartridge I am writing today is a similar idea where a 4WD is supposed to get kitted out with new items as the player visits different locations.  The images are called hummer-1 through to hummer-9, but for some reason, when I ask the cartridge to set a new image it doesn't do it.  I know that this part of the cartridge is activating because the congratulation message is coming up, but the image change isn't.  So I thought I'd test it and removed the original image from the 4WD object completely and I then asked the cartridge on start up to set a new image.

It still didn't do it.  I'm pretty sure I've done this the exact same way I did my older cartridge, but for some reason it is not updating the image when I ask it too.

What am I missing?  Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

I have attached 3 images.  The first is the successful image which shows what I did to successfully change the image in my old cartridge.  The second image, shows where my new cartridge is asking the image to change and giving a congratulation message.  The congratulations message is working, but the image isn't changing.  The third image, which I entitles unsuccessful image shows where I even removed the image from the item totally and then asked the cartridge to set it on start up, which it still didn't

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Kind Regards

day1976

congratulations message.jpg

successful image.jpg

unsuccessful image.jpg

OK, so I renamed the images.  Still didn't work.  So, thinking that maybe the name has somehow affected the identifier, I deleted all the images, uploaded new ones (with a different name) and re-assigned them to the relevant places in the cartridge.

Still doesn't work.  I have no idea what I am doing wrong here.....

OK, I solved it, but I'm not sure why it works this way.  In my latest cartridge I had the item (the 4WD) location as being with the player.  When I change the location of the 4WD to being in a zone (the playing area) then the image can be updated when I want it to and the cartridge works.  This is weird because in my previous cartridge the item (the magic parchment) was in the players possession, but the images update successfully every time.  The only difference is that the item (the magic sextant) doesn't start the cartridge in the possession of the player, it is given to them at the first WP.  So maybe that's the difference, although I'm not sure what difference it makes, but it turns out it does.

Oh well, now to continue on...