Release Notes (Website: Message Center) - October 30, 2017

On 02/11/2017 at 2:03 PM, SN67 said:

I just tried to send a message to a CO from a cachepage. Clicking the small envelope next to the CO name, used to open the message center, ready to text the person in question AND starting with a line saying "Regarding [gc-number] [title] ... "

Now it just opens the MC with a blank page, where I have to fill in the name for the one I wish to write to myself.

Just tried in both crome, IE and edge. Same issue. :(

This is  really not very good on my PC at all I am faced with a giant white box where I only want to key a few lines and have to scroll to even send. Is there no testing on laptop screens before a release?

Even worse I tried to send a message via a link on a web page (IE11). The window comes up but the user name was empty but I did not notice. I keyed in answers to an EC hit send and the message was obliterated. This was the sorry sequence. Blank username, enter data, hit send (message is still there). Click in message area it is removed. Result is a pretty unhappy user and back to good old emails probably forever now.

I checked the link and it is fine with a recipient and cache ID. I also tried the link in Chrome, same result as above.

For me this is at least priority B fault.

40 minutes ago, lodgebarn said:

Even worse I tried to send a message via a link on a web page (IE11). The window comes up but the user name was empty but I did not notice. I keyed in answers to an EC hit send and the message was obliterated. This was the sorry sequence. Blank username, enter data, hit send (message is still there). Click in message area it is removed. Result is a pretty unhappy user and back to good old emails probably forever now.

I checked the link and it is fine with a recipient and cache ID. I also tried the link in Chrome, same result as above.

For me this is at least priority B fault.

Sorry to hear that you lost the message.

It's not spelled out in this thread, but Groundspeak is tracking that the message center isn't currently functioning properly when using the "Message owner" link from a cache.  From this thread in the website forum:

3 hours ago, _SWH said:

When I send a message to a user that is in my message center, the alert shows I send the message to myself. And my email notices show the same that I am messaging myself! 

We are currently using the same email template for notifications from other users and messages that you forward to yourself. This is understandably confusing and we are going to update the email template for forwarded messages to be unique.

On 11/11/2017 at 8:03 AM, thomfre said:

I'm still having issues with line breaks being removed. I hope this can be looked at sometime soon.

Same here with Safari on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

The line breaks remain when displayed in the Android Geocaching app which I rarely use. 

On 05/11/2017 at 10:32 PM, arisoft said:

That problem disappeared later.

Overall MC is now better than the previous version. Image uploads are easier using drop down.

One image (over 2MB) did not upload until I shrink the image size. I got no error message about too large image. I tried few times until found this solution.

Ah, so that was my problem. I tried to upload a photo directly from my phone and nothing happened. I don't know how big the image is as I'd first need to get the photo off my phone (or get an app for that). But indeed no error message or any other notification that the image might be too big and that there's a limit. The message I sent with the photo did arrive though.

I have some bugs in the Message Center:

- With the last update you disabled the email forwarding setting. That's why I missed some messages for some time.

- Since I activated this email forwarding setting again I receive emails also with messages that I had send to others by my own.
I don't like that and I don't know why anybody should need that.

- An other smaller and older issue is still there: it is possible to answer message notifications direct by email but only with the primary email address set in my account. When I try to answer with the second address that is set in my gc.com account it is not possible to answer. Even when I use the email function "answer in the name of" it is not possible to use that feature.

On 10/30/2017 at 3:50 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

Changes include:

• A simplified and clean look
  • The ability to add attachments (such as pdf, doc, and docx)* in addition to image files
  • The option to hide a conversation without blocking another geocacher.
  • The ability to forward all messages to email. By toggling this setting “on,” messages you create in the Message Center on Geocaching.com and in the Geocaching® app will automatically be forwarded to your email.

I haven't tested the attachments feature. It sounds like a good feature.

The other bullets are much appreciated, especially the last item - which was one of the features of the email system that I found most lacking with the message center.  Of course, I'll continue to use email only for Virtual/EC answers until the subject line issue is fixed. I'd want the subject line for Sent messages to identify which cacher my message was sent to. I know it's already on your fix-it list, so am looking forward to that fix.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Is the yellow dot on the envelope icon on the fix-it list as well?  Its appearance is not consistent across various pages (Windows 10, Firefox 57.0)

The  /map  page does not show the yellow dot.

These pages show the yellow dot, but without the number inside:

• /play/geotours
  • /play/hide
  • /play/friendleague
  • /account/messagecenter
  • /account/dashboard
  • New drafts page
  • New lists page

Other pages correctly show the yellow dot with a number inside, including the Old drafts and Old lists pages.

23 hours ago, noncentric said:

Other pages correctly show the yellow dot with a number inside, including the Old drafts and Old lists pages.

Wait ... the yellow dot has a number?!?  I haven't EVER seen a number - just the dot, normally when I have drafts (field notes) that need to be finished logs, or messages in the Message Center.  And quite often there is more than one - a number would actually be helpfu, even if it 's a sum of the messages, drafts, and souvenirs I have yet to view.

I rarely use the old view (not that old, for me, I came into this when things were changing over) so maybe tha's why I've not seen a number in the yellow dot?

6 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Wait ... the yellow dot has a number?!?  I haven't EVER seen a number - just the dot, normally when I have drafts (field notes) that need to be finished logs, or messages in the Message Center.  And quite often there is more than one - a number would actually be helpfu, even if it 's a sum of the messages, drafts, and souvenirs I have yet to view.

The number that I've seen has just been the number of unread messages in Message Center. Count of Drafts is not indicated. The number, when it does appear, is sometimes hard to read because it's off-center (see below):

gc-yellowdot-number.png

1 hour ago, noncentric said:

The number that I've seen has just been the number of unread messages in Message Center. Count of Drafts is not indicated. The number, when it does appear, is sometimes hard to read because it's off-center (see below):

I guess that you are using my browser extension, which replaces the buggy message center widget with a stable one. Orginally the number was aligned correctly but then some CSS changes in the web page put it off-center. At the same time the original number disappeared from the unmodified widget. Pages witch does not display the number are using embedded widget which seems to work better than the external one I replaced.

13 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Interesting - it's something I have not seen.  In the app, or onthe website ... Using Windows 10 and Chrome on the laptop.

Yeah, it looks like the number is because of Arisoft's extension (for Firefox) that I installed a while back. I forgot that I was running that. Without the extension, the yellow dot does not show numbers. Sorry for the confusion.

I am still seeing that no yellow dot appears on the  /map  page though.

16 hours ago, arisoft said:

I guess that you are using my browser extension, which replaces the buggy message center widget with a stable one. Orginally the number was aligned correctly but then some CSS changes in the web page put it off-center. At the same time the original number disappeared from the unmodified widget. Pages witch does not display the number are using embedded widget which seems to work better than the external one I replaced.

Yes, I forgot about that extension. I've disabled it to see if the same issues with freezing happen now that GS has made updates to the Message Center.

Is anyone else having issues with replying to messages through email and it not showing up in the message center?

I reply to messages I get through the MC via email, and it sends without an issue but I don't see my reply in the message center so I'm unable to confirm my reply is actually getting sent/received.

1 hour ago, Ge0Patr0l said:

Is anyone else having issues with replying to messages through email and it not showing up in the message center?

I reply to messages I get through the MC via email, and it sends without an issue but I don't see my reply in the message center so I'm unable to confirm my reply is actually getting sent/received.

I have not seen problems myself, but if your message is not visible in MC then it is not received correctly for sure.

The main problem at the message center: it is still very controversial and is only used by few users. So I never know if the person I'm writing to will get my message. Now that an e-mail notification needs to be turned on, it's even more likely that my messages will never arrive and be read. I have already experienced this several times. It would be better if the email notification did not need to be turned on, but deliberately turned off if I don't want to get it.