Garmin 62s sending me into the English Channel !!

sherwooh

My Garmin GPSMap 62s has worked extremely well for me for the last 6ish years. Now, however, when I switch it on it thinks I'm in the English channel, then finds me correctly for a nano second or two, then puts me back in the channel - very frustrating. 

I've switched it off and on again (several times), checked the sd card is secured, all looks well, new batteries etc but the problem is persisting. Is this the end? Does this type of garmin only last 6 years? Is there anything else I could be doing?

Thanks for the advice, did a master reset, all seemed well. Switched off and on again to check, again all seemed well then I walked a couple of yards and it sent me back into the water!!  Zoomed out, its not the channel its the atlantic!! Perhaps its time to get in touch with Garmin.

Have you been giving it enough time to find all the satellites?  This will take a good 10 minutes.  When you go to the satellite page, what does it show?  If you can post a screenshot, that may help.

Is the firmware up to date?  Use Garmin Express to find out.

Its picking up all the satellites quickly (the usual amount of time - 2-3 mins) but then it flicks to the sea, I check the satellites page and they are still there with my home coords, when I go back to the map image its either on home or the sea, it keeps flicking between the two.

On the map image of home it shows a track leading out to the atlantic.

Not sure about firmware.

I once had my GPSr jump from 100' left to go to a cache, to a few thousand miles away.  The map had my current location in the Gulf of Guinea.  Apparently it was putting me at N 0, W 0.  I no longer wonder why, I just am glad when it gets back to normal -- I did the same thing, take batteries out and gave it a time out, and it behaved normally later once it had a chance to think about what it had done.

Edited by hzoi

The "0,0" coordinate off the shore of Guinea is so depressingly common in GIS that it has a name: Null Island. The is actually weather buoy at this location but there isn't land. It's become a running joke with those of us that have to deal with GPSes that write "0,0" and a "coordinates are valid" flag that goes through software that ignores the flag and then (stupidly) just uses the 0,0.

Devotees of Nil have created http://www.nullisland.com/ and https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/null-island-is-one-of-the-most-visited-places-on-earth-too-bad-it-doesnt-exist

• Upvote 1

Many thanks to Robert for linking to the resources about Null Island.  The tourism section brought back fond memories of my prior travels.

I wanted to place my Virtual Reward cache at the 0,0 coordinates.  But, the Community Volunteer Reviewer covering Null Island is a real zero.  He blocked me on the grounds that I had not visited in the past two months.  I think that's ridiculous.  Nothing never changes on Null Island.  I'm sure that Boundary Ridge is right where I last saw it.  Perhaps I will try making an Earth Cache instead.