Better Support for Wherigo from Groundspeak

Team OPJim

After almost 10 years of geocaching, one develops the desire to do something new (getting bored with microcaches, LPCs, etc).

Wherigo seems to have the most potential.  The problem is that there is very little support for it.  With a smartphone, the issues of GPS manufacturers not supporting has gone away.  However, the app (for iPhone at least) is very bug ridden.  The best whereto design program I can find (ranger fox) is good.  Groundspeak seems to be ignoring what could be the best new direction in this area (the sudden success of Pokemon Go shows this).  

Does anyone know what the official GS position and intentions with this are?

9 hours ago, Team OPJim said:

After almost 10 years of geocaching, one develops the desire to do something new (getting bored with microcaches, LPCs, etc).

Wherigo seems to have the most potential.  The problem is that there is very little support for it.  With a smartphone, the issues of GPS manufacturers not supporting has gone away.  However, the app (for iPhone at least) is very bug ridden.  The best whereto design program I can find (ranger fox) is good.  Groundspeak seems to be ignoring what could be the best new direction in this area (the sudden success of Pokemon Go shows this).  

Does anyone know what the official GS position and intentions with this are?

Doubtful that anyone who (really)  knows "Groundspeak's position" will share here.      ;)

I also believe that when it's true that everyone has a smartphone, Wherigo will be a better future option than another that simply logs waymarks, and really thought that "geotours" (a great fit) was gonna generate new interest.  

Maybe,  (unlike geocaching)  the means to create wherigos are somewhat too complex for average folks,  and until something becomes a bit more user-friendly there's little interest to expand further investment-wise. 

We've only found two.  Creating one is beyond a dyslexic old fart's scope.   :)

I have created one Wherigo, and it seldom gets any visits. I have found a few, but I'm not interested in them anymore. Wherigo and Waymarking seem to be getting buggier, just like I have seen with other sites when the code is outdated.

My experience as a Waymarker tells me that GS will do nothing with Wherigo. I think both sites are breaking, and that is only my opinion. :)

Well... in my opinion, Groundspeak's official position as they've presented it to me contradicts their actions--and has for at least half a decade.  I almost got into a partnership to run Wherigo for Groundspeak, but they kept taking their time getting back to me, which really ran down my motivation.  In the end, I felt that if they were truly interested, they'd also be pursuing discussions and putting time into making the joint venture a success.

Over the holidays, unless work intervenes and wants me to do something for them again during my time off, I'll continue work on overhauling Wherigo\\kit and release it as open source so others can contribute to the project.  Once that's out of the way, I think I'll make one last stab at things.  I can't decide if I should approach Groundspeak first or update the Wherigo Foundation site to my current standards (and open source that as well).

Either way, hooray: Wherigo turns ten in January and I will have been doing this just as long.  So this is what Limbo is like...

• Upvote 2

Thanks to Ranger Fox and others, Wherigo continues in spite what seems lack of official interest or support.    I own 2 Wherigo caches, and I've created the Wherigo for a third (a friend is the official owner).     One of my Wherigos  The Adventures of Tom Sawyer gets found quite a lot (much more than my puzzle caches), as does the one I did for my friend  Little Bridges # 600 Tarr Steps.   

I agree they can be tricky to create (I used the official builder, which is probably the hardest!).    Ranger Fox's Wherigo\\kit  is much easier to use.

I encourage the OP to create one.    

On 10/27/2017 at 2:49 AM, redsox_mark said:

Thanks to Ranger Fox and others, Wherigo continues in spite what seems lack of official interest or support.    I own 2 Wherigo caches, and I've created the Wherigo for a third (a friend is the official owner).     One of my Wherigos  The Adventures of Tom Sawyer gets found quite a lot (much more than my puzzle caches), as does the one I did for my friend  Little Bridges # 600 Tarr Steps.   

I agree they can be tricky to create (I used the official builder, which is probably the hardest!).    Ranger Fox's Wherigo\\kit  is much easier to use.

I encourage the OP to create one.    

I've actually created four.