Old Caches that need TLC or Should be Removed

SoutheastCamper

I've run across a few caches that are in very bad shape. The owner does not respond to messages or even logged in here in a long, long time. They have years of DNF's.

Is there a way to mark those differently? I rather not mark them as a DNF, I'd like to mark them, as I'm not going to go after. Maybe highlight them in RED to Avoid.

Any thoughts?

Thx, Dan

niraD's link addresses the concern of how to log caches.

I will note that marking a cache as Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived without visiting it first, which it sounds like you're planning to do, has been a topic of debate. There are times that cache owners (CO's) fix things at their cache without logging that action. There are also times that the cache is fine, even though there have been several DNF's. Sometimes, the cache is very difficult and so DNF's are common without indicating a problem.  Sometimes, the cachers logging the DNF's do not have sufficient experience to find that type of cache.  Sometimes, the DNF's are based on things like weather or muggles or some other reason that isn't related to the cache hide itself. There are several threads related to logging NM/NA on caches. Just wanted to mention these things since the OP's account is relatively new (joined 4 months ago).

35 minutes ago, SoutheastCamper said:

Is there a way to mark those differently? I rather not mark them as a DNF, I'd like to mark them, as I'm not going to go after. Maybe highlight them in RED to Avoid.

In general, if there's a cache you don't want to see in your search/map results on the website, then you can "Ignore" them. When viewing a cache page on the website, there is an "Ignore" option at the upper right.  Some cachers use this so difficult puzzle caches or undesired cache hides don't keep showing up when they do searches. Ignored caches should not show up when viewing caches on the app. There isn't a in-app method to add caches to an Ignore list.

• Upvote 3