Must be PM to approve WM's !?

Torgut

If I am understanding correctly, I believe it's the same thing I am seeing. A few days ago the alert and requiring review popped up. If you follow that link using a basic member account it takes you to that message page about PM's.

I used the link to approve a WM today via the email, but I don't think basic members can access the review queue from the main page anymore. Anyway, that is what I have noticed and the problem was not present until about 3 days ago.

9 hours ago, Torgut said:

Amazing... Groundspeak doesn't spend time to improve WM but they can spend time changing it this way... like people will spend that money just to approve Waymarks, this is, to work for them. Whatever.

I'm sorry, and I'm a basic member myself, but Waymarking should not depend upon Geocachers to support their site. I feel like if we want the full feature access, then we need to be Premium Members. It's no different than the Geocachers paying for full features on their site, yet they are the ones that pay to keep the lights on here.

• Upvote 1

Waymarking doesn't depend of anything, it is ABANDONED! It's is TOTALLY different. Geocaching.com is monitored, bugs are fixed, new features are added, website is improved.

Now, does Waymark needs hardware resources to run? Yes it does. How about the invaluable value of the domain as an asset, belonging to Groundspeak and built up by ALL OF US, for free?

Finally, if the idea is to add PM only features to Waymark, they already existed; blocking approval permissions to them it's an aberration. And again, just to highlight the main point: they do NOT work in Waymark for over 10 years, but they find the time to add new PM only permissions.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Torgut said:

Waymarking doesn't depend of anything, it is ABANDONED! It's is TOTALLY different. Geocaching.com is monitored, bugs are fixed, new features are added, website is improved.

Now, does Waymark needs hardware resources to run? Yes it does. How about the invaluable value of the domain as an asset, belonging to Groundspeak and built up by ALL OF US, for free?

Finally, if the idea is to add PM only features to Waymark, they already existed; blocking approval permissions to them it's an aberration. And again, just to highlight the main point: they do NOT work in Waymark for over 10 years, but they find the time to add new PM only permissions.

Waymarking is just an extra to the geocaching site and was designed for Premium Members. In the past, I enjoyed this site enough that I paid to use it's features. 

This site is not very useful to me anymore, but I still use the geocaching site and can get around without a PM.

So unless the email breaks again, I can still review new WM's submitted to the 1 category I created and manage. If I have to renew my PM just to review new WM's they will not be reviewed.

15 minutes ago, Torgut said:

Oh but the e-mail link doesn't work for me. It returns:

You do not have the authority to view this page.

Perhaps the submitter canceled the submission...

And the problem does not actually exist? Yeah, I understand that too well. :(  It's like a bad experience with a restaurant though, it's hard to get that customer's trust again. And we are under new management. ;)

22 hours ago, Torgut said:

Yeaps, it works, thanks :-)

Here is what I was talking about, and may not mean anything. If there was a recent peer review, then it may have triggered this pop-up alert, and it stays there now. :(

If I click on it I am taken to that page about becoming a PM for access to more features, ect. Totally different, and may just be systems normal for a basic member. 

Screenshot_LI.jpg

As a basic member for nearly 2 years now, I can say with certainty the yellow triangles only appear when there is a new category in review. It's there for a few days, disappears, and then (usually) a new category appears in the "Newest Categories" list a few days later.

As far as reviewing waymark submissions to categories I manage, I've had zero problems as a basic member and have reviewed 20 or more waymarks as a bm (and why not bm, since we frequently refer to premium members as pm's. I'm okay if you call me a bm)

• Upvote 1

In the Group FAQ, http://www.Waymarking.com/help/group.aspx?f=1

It states: A Premium Membership is required to hold an Officer position.

In Oct, 2016, I surveyed the 1095 categories at that time and found that 851 waymarkers managed all those categories.

Of those 851 officers, 307 were not premium members, so clearly GS/Waymarking does not enforce this requirement.

Study: http://Waymarking.altervista.org/stats/Group_Analysis_2016-10-26.html

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, DougK said:

In the Group FAQ, http://www.Waymarking.com/help/group.aspx?f=1

It states: A Premium Membership is required to hold an Officer position.

In Oct, 2016, I surveyed the 1095 categories at that time and found that 851 waymarkers managed all those categories.

Of those 851 officers, 307 were not premium members, so clearly GS/Waymarking does not enforce this requirement.

Study: http://Waymarking.altervista.org/stats/Group_Analysis_2016-10-26.html

Oooooooo talk data to me, Doug!!! :wub:

7 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

If I am reading and understanding this correctly it tells me that many are not renewing their PM's and are not signing in anymore. In other words, lost interest and quit Waymarking.

That's one conclusion. It could also be that some WMers are lazy and some are cheap.

37 minutes ago, DougK said:

That's one conclusion. It could also be that some WMers are lazy and some are cheap.

The cheap part I can understand. :D That is something I noticed, many here seem to resent paying to use the full features here. We figured out that once an officer you still get the review privileges when your PM expires, and I don't ever get any support on my ideas for new categories so I can WM without a PM. ;)

From my WM'n experience in the last 9 years I'm still finding the site difficult to use. :( I believe that we are an older generation than the geocachers, and I have gave up on lots of interests that have lasted less than 10 years. :)

Anyway, I enjoyed your research data. Nice work.

• Upvote 1