A few questions

evil-lemons

Hello!  I'm back to geocaching after a five year hiatus.  I'd say I'm still quite new, however, since I think I only had about 35 finds my first time around and a total of 65 or so total.  I've been reading the forums and did some searches but would still like some help, if that's okay.

Challenges and streaks:  I see a lot of people talking about the Mass 360 challenge and the Mass 351 challenge (I'm in New England).  Where would I find information about these challenges and others?  I'm also wondering about streaks.  I see people talking about having as long a streak as possible, some up to a year of daily cache finds or even longer.  Is this a challenge of some sort, or just something that people decide to do?  

DNFs:  Do DNFs count against you in any way, or do they just not count toward the found count?  I'm just curious about that.

Archived caches:  If a cache is found and logged, does it become void if that cache is archived?

Log/cache maintenance:  I've noticed people logging their finds and mentioning that they replaced the log if it was wet or full or had some other issue.  Are we all supposed to be replacing logs?  I wouldn't even know where to get a new log.  What about the full or wet log?  Does the CO want it back?

These are just a few of the things I've been wondering about.  Thanks very much for any help.

20 minutes ago, evil-lemons said:

Hello!  I'm back to geocaching after a five year hiatus.  I'd say I'm still quite new, however, since I think I only had about 35 finds my first time around and a total of 65 or so total.  I've been reading the forums and did some searches but would still like some help, if that's okay.

DNFs:  Do DNFs count against you in any way, or do they just not count toward the found count?  I'm just curious about that.  Not against you, unless you don't like to see them on your record, but it does help when revisiting areas.  I didn't log any the first couple of months, and now I wish I had so I could remember if I looked for them or not, and why I didn't find some.  It may impact the Cache Health Score, and it will alert the CO to a possible issue.

Archived caches:  If a cache is found and logged, does it become void if that cache is archived?  It still counts as a Find in your stats.

Log/cache maintenance:  I've noticed people logging their finds and mentioning that they replaced the log if it was wet or full or had some other issue.  Are we all supposed to be replacing logs? No, it's the CO's responsibility.  If I know the CO, and I have a spare log with me, I'll add a new one to the bag, or even add a baggie if it's prone to get wet.  That's not required though, it is (in some cases) a  nice gesture.  The proper thing to do if you come across a full log, or a wet log, is to log a NM so the CO can replace it.

I wouldn't even know where to get a new log.  You can print them online at several sites, or buy logbooks and sheets at shop.geocaching.com and other sites.  What about the full or wet log?  Does the CO want it back?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  I always try to salvage them if possible, and leave them in the cache or keep them if I know the CO well enough to know I'll meet up with them in the near future.

These are just a few of the things I've been wondering about.  Thanks very much for any help.

Relatively new myself, but I'll answer the ones I can....

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 2

What she said. :)

27 minutes ago, evil-lemons said:

Challenges and streaks:  I see a lot of people talking about the Mass 360 challenge and the Mass 351 challenge (I'm in New England).  Where would I find information about these challenges and others?  I'm also wondering about streaks.  I see people talking about having as long a streak as possible, some up to a year of daily cache finds or even longer.  Is this a challenge of some sort, or just something that people decide to do?  

Looks like this is the MA 360 degree challenge: https://coord.info/GC4Y7DW

And this is the MA 351 challenge: https://coord.info/GC48CR5

(I found them by doing a Google search for "Mass 360 Challenge site:geocaching.com" and "Mass 351 Challenge site:geocaching.com".) You can find the cache(s) and sign the log(s), but you cannot log it as a find on the website/app until you've completed the challenge.

Here is a search for Massachusetts caches with "Challenge" in the name (one of the requirements of challenge caches): https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?kw=challenge&r=22

Streaks: Sometimes there's a challenge cache that requires a long streak. Sometimes people just do it for their own personal challenge.

• Upvote 2

Just to add to what CAVinoGal said, a log doesn't have to be anything special. Any paper with space to write a signature and date on can be used. I probably wouldn't add a NM for a full log unless others had already mentioned in their logs on the site that it was full and it hadn't been replaced. Also, while it's not essential or required that you replace a full or a damp log, some cache owners won't accept your find as valid unless you've signed SOMETHING and put it in there. So it never hurts to be prepared with a pen and paper just in case.

One other thing to note: if you find a container at Ground Zero with no log book in it, just make sure that you have actually found the cache! They can be well disguised and it's easy to mistake junk for caches sometimes if you're not careful.

Also, just to clarify, logging a DNF simply means you didn't find the cache. They have no impact on your membership here or anything like that and you don't unlock any special memberships or rewards other than a sticker for your profile by having a higher number of finds. Nor do DNFs reduce the number of finds stated on your profile. They simply do not add to it. So they're nothing to be afraid of. They can also be useful for alerting cache owners that something is wrong with the cache as well as for alerting other cachers that the cache may be missing. So don't be afraid to log them at all!

Finally, a find is still a find no matter the status of the cache, provided the cache was active at the time it was found. You can't log a find on a cache that's already archived but if you've logged the find before the cache is archived then that find is permanently on your record.

I hope this helps and do feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

• Upvote 1

Unless an archived cache has been locked a find can still be logged on it. This has happened to me when I've found caches that were archived but still in my GPS  and it wasn't until I got home to log them on the computer that I realised it.

As a CO (Cache Owner) please record DNFs. As mentioned above they can be an early alert to a problem with the cache.and it is no stain on your character. Many cachers are proud of their DNFs.

When we were new to the game we thought we were helping COs by cleaning up caches that were wet or dirty as well as replacing logs. We soon tired of that when we realised that all we were doing was enabling lazy COs who could care less about the condition of their caches. Its their job not yours.

• Upvote 2

Sensible questions, as always opinions will differ, so here's my version:

Challenges and streaks are sometimes "just something that people decide to do " but more often done to qualify for challenge caches. To find challenge caches look for listings with the word 'challenge'  in the title and of unknown type (not everything that conforms to that pattern is a challenge cache, but all challenge caches should conform to that pattern !)

DNFs don't count against you in any way, and folk who don't log them out of misplaced pride are failing to give cache owners useful information.

If an archived cache is found and logged, your find stands ( I have found over 2500 which have subsequently been archived, so can vouch for that !)

To replace logs or not is one of those questions which can provoke a heated multi page arguement , er, debate round here , careful !

I'd say it's a matter of personal opinion and choice. As logging a cache as 'found' requires a signature on a log sheet to validate the find, if the log sheet is not useable, you have a few choices: add some paper to sign yourself, provide evidence (e.g. a photo of the cache in your hand) and hope the C.O. is happy with that, or just  say you found it and couldn't sign and again, hope the CO lets the online log stand.

In many areas, the local custom is to add a log sheet or piece of paper both to record your own visit and help the next finder and the C.O.out in the short term. This seems perfectly reasonable to me, and I'm happy to do it, and also to have it done to my caches. I'm more reluctant to remove old log sheets, they are not my property, and I will only remove them if I know the C.O., am aware it is OK with them, and I always add a sentence to my online log offering to return the old log to the CO or to send them photos of it if they want. So far no-one ever wanted either !

Leaving new paper  next to already damp paper would soon result in two bits of damp paper, so I carry a few press seal bags to put my added paper in . 100 tiny press seal bags can be bought online very cheaply, even if a certain 'big river' retailer now seems to think I may be a drug dealer in need of suggestions of sensitive electronic scales too ...

It sometimes happens that I find an obviously old, abandoned and unloved cache which has long term problems, maybe a damaged or inadequate container, and I'd do no more maintenance on something like that than make it possible to sign it , then put a 'needs maintenance' log on it. Some cachers will place a MN for a damp log that I'd simply mention.

I'd suggest the best strategy is to continue to do as you obviously have, and check out what the local custom is.  Ideally , if you are going for a few caches by a specific C.O., and suspect there could be damp log issues , get in touch with them and ask in advance if they'd like you to replace logs or not. It's their cache after all .

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, hal-an-tow said:

Leaving new paper  next to already damp paper would soon result in two bits of damp paper, so I carry a few press seal bags to put my added paper in . 100 tiny press seal bags can be bought online very cheaply, even if a certain 'big river' retailer now seems to think I may be a drug dealer in need of suggestions of sensitive electronic scales too ..

Haha...that one took me a moment!  Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  

I thought of another question (for you or whomever would like to reply).  On a caching streak, if I were to forget to log a cache and enter it the next day, would it count for the previous day or would it end my streak?  I always plan to log that day, and so far, I have, but I was wondering.

2 hours ago, evil-lemons said:

Haha...that one took me a moment!  Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  

I thought of another question (for you or whomever would like to reply).  On a caching streak, if I were to forget to log a cache and enter it the next day, would it count for the previous day or would it end my streak?  I always plan to log that day, and so far, I have, but I was wondering.

I've no idea about how this works on any app, but when logging on the website you can set the date of the find as you wish, people often log days or weeks later.

I'd think any streak would be based on the date of the find, not the date of the online log. Besides, there is no information showing the date when you input the log (as far as I know) so the only person who would be aware it was backdated would be the cache owner, as they get the log e-mailed to them when it is posted online.

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, hal-an-tow said:

I've no idea about how this works on any app, but when logging on the website you can set the date of the find as you wish, people often log days or weeks later.

I'd think any streak would be based on the date of the find, not the date of the online log. Besides, there is no information showing the date when you input the log (as far as I know) so the only person who would be aware it was backdated would be the cache owner, as they get the log e-mailed to them when it is posted online.

I have only been using the app for a few weeks and only because I've found it easier to figure out than my five year old GPS.  I still log everything on the website.  Thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, evil-lemons said:

I have only been using the app for a few weeks and only because I've found it easier to figure out than my five year old GPS.  I still log everything on the website.  Thanks for the help!

I use the app to make "field notes" (drafts) while at the actual cache site, then log online on the website from the drafts, that day or evena day or three later.  The drafts preserves the timestamp of when I actually found the cache.  

And, as others have noted, when on the website you can set the date to the date you actually did find the cache, and not the date you are logging it.  When logging from my field notes, the date defaults to the find date; if you are logging without that, and just at a later date, you can specifiy the date for the log (and trackables visting, dropped, retrieved, etc).

• Upvote 1
On 10/29/2017 at 10:42 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I use the app to make "field notes" (drafts) while at the actual cache site, then log online on the website from the drafts, that day or evena day or three later.  The drafts preserves the timestamp of when I actually found the cache.  

And, as others have noted, when on the website you can set the date to the date you actually did find the cache, and not the date you are logging it.  When logging from my field notes, the date defaults to the find date; if you are logging without that, and just at a later date, you can specifiy the date for the log (and trackables visting, dropped, retrieved, etc).

OH!  That's a good idea.  Thanks for the great information.  On a side note, we lost power here Sunday night due to a bad storm and only got it back today.  Sorry for the late response.  I use my phone for the app but don't really use my phone for internet otherwise.  Of course, power or no power, I had to keep my short streak going. ;)