What makes a cache special

14 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Often it's the amount of effort the CO put into creating it, be it finding that magical hiding place, a themed container, a well-thought-out description, multi or puzzle, etc.

I was going to say the same thing, except instead of "amount of effort", I'd say it's being successful at achieving that kind of thing. For example, sometimes that magical hiding place falls with into the CO's lap with no effort at all, but that doesn't make it any less special.

But on second thought, is that answer any more useful that just saying, "Well, all kinds of things can make a cache special"? Even if it does, that's still my answer.

1 hour ago, dprovan said:

I was going to say the same thing, except instead of "amount of effort", I'd say it's being successful at achieving that kind of thing. For example, sometimes that magical hiding place falls with into the CO's lap with no effort at all, but that doesn't make it any less special.

But on second thought, is that answer any more useful that just saying, "Well, all kinds of things can make a cache special"? Even if it does, that's still my answer.

Yes, all kinds of things make a cache special but I was hoping that the thread might give some potential new hiders some ideas.  

2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Often it's the amount of effort the CO put into creating it

For me, it's often the other way around. Perhaps the ones that stand out as special required more effort from the CO while creating them, but what makes them stand out to me is the effort required of me and other seekers. These are the caches that you plan several hours for, the caches that become the main activity on your calendar for the day.

A cache where I feel my visit matters to the owner. She or he creates a good experience from beginning to end, for the majority of finders. When you read the cache description, the hint, and see the location and cache you can tell that the cache owner does their best to continue to provide an ongoing good experience. 

Edited by Auntie Quated
Spelling

"Special" can mean many things, and different things at different times.

I found a few "special" caches on my trip to the East coast this summer; special to me because they were placed in my (very small, rural) hometown, and the CO was my brother's best friend growing up (we're all now in our 50's and 60's).  Only half a dozen or so caches in the whole town, and the CO replaced one gone missing so I could find it before I headed out, and gave me an extra hint on a multi that I was having trouble with.

I found some "special" caches in Florida with my son and his wife; special because of their company and the caches themselves were unique, gadget caches and very well done.

I've found "special" caches right here at home, placed by my son years ago that I had no clue they were there, until I started geocaching and found them.  And I've found a cache placed in honor of my son and his wife (who met at a CITO event) by local cachers to celebrate their wedding.  That was pretty special to my husband and ME, but not as special to an average geocacher coming through the area and finding it.

Caches can be special for a number of reasons - who placed them, where they are placed, WHEN they were placed, how and why they were placed, and a variety of other reasons that will be different for every person.

4 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

"Special" can mean many things, and different things at different times.

[.....]

Caches can be special for a number of reasons - who placed them, where they are placed, WHEN they were placed, how and why they were placed, and a variety of other reasons that will be different for every person.

That's the key. 

For me a cache is special depending on the overall experience I have lived in looking for it. And for this there are many factors that the owner can not control, so there is not always a correlation between the effort of the owner and the satisfaction that I find. Some of the caches that I consider "special" are mere eppendorf in urban environment that do not catch the attention of other geocachers. It's all so subjective!

But if we talk about what makes a special container (considering only the physical aspect of the cache), then I would be prone to answer that one that facilitates signing the logbook and is designed to last. There are too many containers that try to be original and / or "special" but that are very fragile, last little and only maintain their charm if you find them in their first weeks of life.

9 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Yes, all kinds of things make a cache special but I was hoping that the thread might give some potential new hiders some ideas.  

If the goal is to give ideas to those who hide to make their caches special, then the only thing I can say them is to think about what kind of caches they like to find themselves. If a cache does not satisfy the owner, it will hardly satisfy others.

Yes there can be lots of factors, though thinking about it, I think it mainly comes down to 3 main areas:

1.  The location (including the journey, and physical challenges encountered).

2.  The physical container(s) (and any other physical stages).     Including field puzzles etc.

3.  The cache page:   Including theme, puzzles, etc

A cache can be special to me based on one or more of these "areas".      If the location is amazing and somewhere I never would have found without geocaching, that is special.   A clever "gadget cache" can be special, wherever it is.   And some caches I love the puzzle so much that makes it special, regardless of the location and container.

But when I think of my favorite caches, they tend to excel in all 3 areas.     A nicely themed cache with a story and a puzzle, which continues out into the field with physical and/or virtual stages matching the theme, leading to a special final container, and all in a special location... that is the most special.

My bar for "special" is actually pretty low.  All it takes is getting me out the door when otherwise I might be bored at home.  It helps if it takes me to a part of town I've never been (or have been to but never really noticed).  

I know I come off to a lot of people as my nickname might suggest, but when it comes to caching, I never have any real disdain for even the lowliest LPC. I don't mind that stuff.  Never have.  

Yes, some are more "special" than others...but it's all by degrees.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, J Grouchy said:

My bar for "special" is actually pretty low.  All it takes is getting me out the door when otherwise I might be bored at home.  It helps if it takes me to a part of town I've never been (or have been to but never really noticed).  

I know I come off to a lot of people as my nickname might suggest, but when it comes to caching, I never have any real disdain for even the lowliest LPC. I don't mind that stuff.  Never have.  

Yes, some are more "special" than others...but it's all by degrees.  

I can handle the Grouchy Mr. Grouchy but the soft hearted Mr. Grouchy?????

I must admit I feel just about the same way about it.   

I like the hard challenges. No I dont have the view some of you have and I don't log all of my finds online. I thank the person when I sign the paper. The person that got me into this sport and I were speaking earlier. Heck he's found them underwater. I've had to deal with situations that I'm glad I carry a gun. No not in an urban environment, some of the ones I've found have been in places that.....for lack of a better term suck. Great finds though and loved every one. Coyotes aren't that mean anyway right? :)

13 hours ago, justintim1999 said:

I can handle the Grouchy Mr. Grouchy but the soft hearted Mr. Grouchy?????

I must admit I feel just about the same way about it.   

Likewise. I like being active and I think its 'the hunt' for me regardless of cache type. I must confess that I've found caches in very scenic locations and, at the time, was so absorbed by 'the hunt' that I have completely forgotten to pause for a moment and take in the view. Chevy Chase, Grand Canyon, ring a bell?

Edited by colleda
typo
1 hour ago, colleda said:

Likewise. I like being active and I think its 'he hunt' for me regardless of cache type. I must confess that I've found caches in very scenic locations and, at the time, was so absorbed by 'the hunt' that I have completely forgotten to pause for a moment and take in the view. Chevy Chase, Grand Canyon, ring a bell?

And weather can have a big impact on the view.  Around here (the Great Pacific NorthWet) a view may be great but only seen a few times a year (I remember a LPC in a micro park that if you turned around you had a great view of Mt Rainer - when it was showing).  In Ireland we did a nice Earthcache at the Cliffs of Moher, but couldn't see thirty feet in the fog - barely saw the top of the cliffs from the trail.