Washington DC caching

pantadeusz

The Smithsonian Natural History Museum Geotour has some great physical caches around the Museum of Natural History.  They are being phased out soon, so  get them while they're hot.

If you're interested in mostly virtuals, keep in mind that the multi caches that are on the map inside Arlington National Military Cemetery are actually virtual caches with multiple stages.

If you like old caches, there are several apart from (and older than) the virtuals that are in the area.   For example, Virginia's oldest, Burke Lake Park (GC175) , hidden December 2000, is just outside the beltway.

I think you'll find that you'll have more caches to find than time to find them!  Have fun.

Thank you for the helpful advice.

Why are these multi-virtuals there? I have never seen this allowed in any other place? In my stats would they count as multis or virtuals?

By the way if you have any other info about particular virtuals in DC that I should know before I go, I will be very interested to find out.

23 hours ago, pantadeusz said:

Why are these multi-virtuals there? I have never seen this allowed in any other place? In my stats would they count as multis or virtuals?

Because they're old.  You run across these from time to time; I've found one here in southeast Virginia and another in Oklahoma.  They are multicaches, so that's what they show up as -- you have to read the description to see that they are multis.

23 hours ago, pantadeusz said:

By the way if you have any other info about particular virtuals in DC that I should know before I go, I will be very interested to find out.

Hmm.  There's an 8-year gap in my time in Virginia -- lived here in 2009-10 and then moved back last summer -- so I don't remember all the DC virtuals I found back then as well.  For the most part, many correspond with existing monuments that one would visit anyway, but others take you to lesser monuments that you would otherwise overlook.  For example, GCD03B was a surprising find I'd never have seen otherwise, a beautiful brick structure designed by renowned landscape designer Frederick Law Olmsted to add a little extra to the Capitol grounds.