Adopting my way marks

Webfoot

On 10/21/2017 at 4:59 AM, fi67 said:

Simply, no. Adopting has never been intended and there are no procedures for it, neither anything similar.

Is there then a way to archive or delete my way marks?  I've found that many of my way marks are being logged years in the past, before the way mark was even created.  I can delete bogus logs on geocaches, but I can't delete, what I see as bogus logs on way marks.  I've lost all interest in way marking and would just love to get rid of them all.

Webfoot -- You have many interesting waymarks and so I would hope that you would not delete them. :)

For myself, I think of earlier-than-waymark-creation visits as acceptable, as long as a photo is uploaded.  After all, they WERE there, and maybe they learned something about the place from your waymark.  :)

I have even been able to give a pre-creation-of-waymark picture to a waymarker who waymarked a missing historic marker. I invited him to use my photo as the default photo, since when I had visited years earlier the marker was still there.  http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMF8Q1_The_Two_Battles_of_Pyramid_Lake_Missing

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Webfoot said:

Is there then a way to archive or delete my way marks?  I've found that many of my way marks are being logged years in the past, before the way mark was even created.  I can delete bogus logs on geocaches, but I can't delete, what I see as bogus logs on way marks.  I've lost all interest in way marking and would just love to get rid of them all.

Retro visits are perfectly valid and welcome. You should not delete them, when the visit requirements of the category are met.

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Webfoot said:

Keep in mind that geocaches are made by geocachers for the purpose of finding them, while waymark locations existed often long time before the waymark was created. People visited these places before and after the waymark was created. The purpose of waymarks is to draw attention to these locations (not the waymark as itself) and the great advantage of the retro visits is, that we maybe get information and hopefully photos about the past. I wish there were lots of people who dig through their photos of the past and post photos of my waymarks that were taken decades before I posted them. This way we would learn a lot about the history of that waymark and that's also one reason why I love the category Photos Then and Now.

So, please keep your waymarks.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

And with them, presumably  all the visits that waymarkers posted.

:(

no, those visits still count. The waymarks were archived, not deleted. Recall the experiment that I conducted with the help of Elyob some time ago. Visits to waymarks still count even after they have been archived. The archived waymarks will not appear in any lists, but they are counted. for example, if you visit seven different Grand Opening waymarks, and one is later archived, your profile will still show a seven for the number of Grand opening waymarks you visited. However if you click on that "7", you will only see a list of the (six) active listings

Here's a prime example, a user with a single visit which was to one of Webfoots now-archived listings:

The waymark: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMEB

And the category grid for the user Mandy'sMom: http://www.Waymarking.com/users/profile.aspx?f=1&guid=5eb47dcf-5892-4997-ab11-e5e92f8641af&gid=3&mypage=2&gt=1&dt1=1/1/2005&dt2=11/1/2017

Too bad they were archived. Now some waymarked in California has a bunch of new opportunities to relist them

https://www.google.com/search?q=webfoot+site%3Awaymarking.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• Upvote 1