Alert sound is gone??

1 hour ago, Manville Possum said:

I found an option to turn it on or off.

Yep,   Possible that Sneakercat61 inadvertently turned it off ?

in May in Release Notes there was a message saying,  "Also, a new Settings screen is now available to set your preferred distance units and turn off the 30 foot warning".    :)

3 hours ago, Sneakercat61 said:

The notification sound and pop up that says “you’re close!” no longer works when I get near a cache I’m looking for. Is this a recent change in the gc app, or is my phone glitching?

Having the ability to switch off the proximity alert is a feature asked for, for quite a while.  I always thought the alert was mostly a training tool for new folks, letting them know when to put that phone in their pocket and start looking.   :)

IIRC, you can see the option when opening the app by  going into Settings, and the only two settings are  use metric system and close to cache warning.

4 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

Hm, I found a cache earlier this week, using the app. It was sitting on my passenger seat, and when I got close to the cache it made a notification sound. :unsure:

I don't hear anything because my app is sitting in the passenger seat and I'm using a GPS

14 minutes ago, jellis said:
4 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

Hm, I found a cache earlier this week, using the app. It was sitting on my passenger seat, and when I got close to the cache it made a notification sound. :unsure:

I don't hear anything because my app is sitting in the passenger seat and I'm using a GPS

:P Yeah, I use a gps if I'm actually going out caching. I had just been to the dentist and wanted a stress reliever so I used the app to find the closest cache. It was just a drive by, but it was a tribute to someone I had known when I was younger and it made me nostalgic. Anyways, I use both app and gps depending on the situation.

5 hours ago, Sneakercat61 said:

The notification sound and pop up that says “you’re close!” no longer works when I get near a cache I’m looking for. Is this a recent change in the gc app, or is my phone glitching?

My "You're getting close" still works, sound and pop up.  I use the app (Android) on my Google Pixel phone running Oreo Android 8.0.0, Geocaching app v. 5.7.2

1 hour ago, Ambrosia said:

:P Yeah, I use a gps if I'm actually going out caching. I had just been to the dentist and wanted a stress reliever so I used the app to find the closest cache. It was just a drive by, but it was a tribute to someone I had known when I was younger and it made me nostalgic. Anyways, I use both app and gps depending on the situation.

I sometimes use my iphone but when I get down to about 30ft it just jumps around. Without a hint it makes it harder. So I will grab my gps and enter the coords.

9 hours ago, jellis said:
10 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

I sometimes use my iphone but when I get down to about 30ft it just jumps around. Without a hint it makes it harder. So I will grab my gps and enter the coords.

Yeah, I do that sometimes when I want to search better. Usually, the phone will eventually settle down, but it can take a while and be quite frustrating, especially when you don't have a lot of time.

12 hours ago, jellis said:

My 60cxs still has a working proximity alert, though I usually have it off.  Yours doesn't?

There's (supposedly) no difference now that one can switch the alert off on the app now too.    :)