My Hide Keeps Getting Disabled for Location

TheMrCollin

I have tried many times to submit a Geocache, but it keeps getting disabled because it is within 528 feet of other Geocaches. I understand why this rule exists, I think it's a good one, but shouldn't the map where you go to submit your Geocache reflect the disabled areas? I have attached a screen shot of the map, and my proposed Geocache is obviously outside of any red area.

TL; DR:

Are there any maps that correctly reflect all the areas where Geocaches cannot be placed?

Messages Image(212008170).png

Your latest cache hide is too close to the actual location of a mystery/puzzle cache.  If the locations of those hidden waypoints were disclosed on the planning map, they wouldn't be very much of a mystery, would they?  People would use the map to "brute force" difficult puzzles, long multicaches, etc.

It's just an inherent risk when hiding caches in a cache-dense area, such as you've illustrated in the above screenshot.

• Upvote 2

It looks like this area is already well served by geocaches. Maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board and find a hiding spot somewhere else, or wait a year or two until a space clears up. It's great that you want to guve back to the community by hiding a geocache, but it looks like other geocachers have this particular area covered for now!

• Upvote 5
25 minutes ago, TheMrCollin said:

Ok, thanks guys! I know that would spoil the surprise, but I guess I'm just so frustrated with the fact that this has happened every other time I've tried. :P Looks like I'll have to find a different, less-concentrated area. :)

The cache that i believe is holding you up is premium so i'm not sure if you even see it listed. It's a puzzle cache that's solved in the field and not from home, therefore not positive where its final's precise hiding spot may be. I have a feeling it has put the quietus on new cache placement in the general area. 

You'll come up with a good place for the cache,, Good luck!

Edited to add,, I can see the cache although i'm not premium. Forget what i said about you not being able to see it. ;)

Edited by Mudfrog
2 hours ago, TheMrCollin said:

Ok, thanks guys! I know that would spoil the surprise, but I guess I'm just so frustrated with the fact that this has happened every other time I've tried. :P Looks like I'll have to find a different, less-concentrated area. :)

Once upon a time, the guidelines actually stated that one of the purposes of the saturation guideline was to encourage people to find new places to hide caches, rather than hiding more caches in areas that already have plenty of caches.

But you may also find the following Help Center article useful: Check for minimum distance

4 hours ago, TheMrCollin said:

I have tried many times to submit a Geocache, but it keeps getting disabled because it is within 528 feet of other Geocaches. I understand why this rule exists, I think it's a good one, but shouldn't the map where you go to submit your Geocache reflect the disabled areas?

Like Keystone explained on "brute force",  happens more than some realize.

We  archived a bike trail series when we found folks could easily find all our mystery hides, by simply looking for "empty spots" left from a cacher that placed a power trail in-between. 

21 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We  archived a bike trail series when we found folks could easily find all our mystery hides, by simply looking for "empty spots" left from a cacher that placed a power trail in-between. 

Well, that's not cool.  I mean, clearly they knew where yours were, because they found them all when they were out hiding their caches.  Unfortunate that they didn't recognize the potential impact of their caches beforehand.

Did they realize what they'd done?  (Did they care?)

5 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Well, that's not cool.  I mean, clearly they knew where yours were, because they found them all when they were out hiding their caches.  Unfortunate that they didn't recognize the potential impact of their caches beforehand.

Did they realize what they'd done?  (Did they care?)

Oh sure.   We got emails from others saying they told others that they just wanted a PT.  

It came out in stages as they were finding ours, and passed to the end of the trail.  One of the reason's we archived them though was the log from them of, "Great coordinates for this one!", and realizing we helped by having good cords...