Why smiles disappear from map when cache is archived?

I liked this trick of using the radio button for 'caches I found' to get all the archived ones included, and then mapping it.  Problem is you can only map 1000 at a time, so at a bit over 2700 finds, I can't see everything.  I did notice that if you choose the 'disabled' radio button, it does include archived caches, and excludes active caches.  Since my total archived finds in 509, I am able to map this entire search currently.  Kind of interesting to see a record of all those caches I have chased down that I am not reminded of since they are no longer represented on the map.  I don't think it totally satisfies the OP's desire to see all of ones finds in one map view, whether active or archived, but at least it's something. 

56 minutes ago, m0bean said:

I liked this trick of using the radio button for 'caches I found' to get all the archived ones included, and then mapping it.  Problem is you can only map 1000 at a time, so at a bit over 2700 finds, I can't see everything.  I did notice that if you choose the 'disabled' radio button, it does include archived caches, and excludes active caches.  Since my total archived finds in 509, I am able to map this entire search currently.  Kind of interesting to see a record of all those caches I have chased down that I am not reminded of since they are no longer represented on the map.  I don't think it totally satisfies the OP's desire to see all of ones finds in one map view, whether active or archived, but at least it's something. 

For GSAK users, this can be done with a My Finds PQ and the Google Map macro, not limited to 1000 finds.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, hzoi said:

For GSAK users, this can be done with a My Finds PQ and the Google Map macro, not limited to 1000 finds.

While this is true and helpful for people not familiar with GSAK I support this feature request.

It would definitely be nice to see the location of all founds (or maybe even all DNFs) on the GC-Map independent of the status and number and without the need for any third party software.

1 hour ago, Hynz said:
18 hours ago, hzoi said:

While this is true and helpful for people not familiar with GSAK I support this feature request.

It would definitely be nice to see the location of all founds (or maybe even all DNFs) on the GC-Map independent of the status and number and without the need for any third party software.

I agree; I wouldn't mind seeing this as a feature here on geocaching.com.  Just pointing out that there's a way to do it now.

On 10/18/2017 at 0:25 PM, hzoi said:
On 10/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, m0bean said:

Another option is GPS Visualizer     This doesn't require downloading/installing any programs, like GSAK.  It does require Premium Membership to get a My Finds PQ though.

• Run the My Finds PQ
  • Download the resulting .zip file
  • Upload that .zip file in the "upload your GPS data files here" section on the right-hand side of the GPS Visualizer page
  • Click the "Draw the map" button

This will open a new browser window with the map and open treasure chest icons representing your found caches.  You can change the map layer by using the drop-down window at the upper right of the map. There are some other options too.

FYI:  The page allows uploading multiple files (both as .zip and .gpx), so can be handy for mapping other PQ's too.  Treasure chest icons on the map show as closed for unfound and open for found.

• Upvote 1
On 10/20/2017 at 0:10 AM, noncentric said:
On 10/18/2017 at 3:25 PM, hzoi said:
On 10/18/2017 at 2:33 PM, m0bean said:

Another option is GPS Visualizer     This doesn't require downloading/installing any programs, like GSAK.

I like this.  Better option for those who aren't familiar with, or just don't like or want to use, GSAK.

5 hours ago, hzoi said:
On 10/19/2017 at 11:10 PM, noncentric said:

Another option is GPS Visualizer     This doesn't require downloading/installing any programs, like GSAK.

I like this.  Better option for those who aren't familiar with, or just don't like or want to use, GSAK.

I'd like to see a bunch of geocachers that are also software developers get together to create a community open source project that provide the functionality of GSAK, but runs as a web application (with companion mobile apps that run on Android or IOS.) 

I like GSAK and want to use it but my primary computer is a Mac.  A couple of weeks ago I finally decided to take the least intrusive option (using the Wine application) to get it running on my mac.  The installation was buggy, not very straightforward, and after I finally got GSAK to run I tried to shut it down (and the Wine application) and no matter what I tried I couldn't get GSAK to close.  I ended up rebooting my computer to close the application.  Sure, it functions on a Mac but it's a big headache.

Finally I got the hint at the Polish discussion group and now we can see the map with location of all our founds on the https://project-gc.com/ website. Go to Tools/Map Compare, check "One found", add and check "Show disabled/archived" filter. The map is fantastic as it shows type of cache found (on GC map one has to click on smiley to see the cache type)!

:D

Edited by Magda_M_team
  • Upvote 1
On 10/23/2017 at 3:23 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

I like GSAK and want to use it but my primary computer is a Mac.  A couple of weeks ago I finally decided to take the least intrusive option (using the Wine application) to get it running on my mac.  The installation was buggy, not very straightforward, and after I finally got GSAK to run I tried to shut it down (and the Wine application) and no matter what I tried I couldn't get GSAK to close.  I ended up rebooting my computer to close the application.  Sure, it functions on a Mac but it's a big headache.

That's the price you pay for being a Mac user.

22 hours ago, Joshism said:
On 10/23/2017 at 3:23 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

That's the price you pay for being a Mac user.

Go to pretty much any technical related conference (except perhaps a Windows related conference or one based on a MS product) and you'll notice that Mac users far outnumber those that are using a PC laptop.  I used a PC laptop for many years for software development.  I switched a Mac several years ago and would never go back.  

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Go to pretty much any technical related conference (except perhaps a Windows related conference or one based on a MS product) and you'll notice that Mac users far outnumber those that are using a PC laptop.  I used a PC laptop for many years for software development.  I switched a Mac several years ago and would never go back.  

I didn't say whether PC or Mac was better (trick question: the real answer is Linux). Regardless of whether it's the best OS, Windows is by far the most widely used OS and as a result most things are designed first and foremost for Windows.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Joshism said:

I didn't say whether PC or Mac was better (trick question: the real answer is Linux). Regardless of whether it's the best OS, Windows is by far the most widely used OS and as a result most things are designed first and foremost for Windows.

Yeah, including viruses.

3 hours ago, Rebore said:

Cool, a religious OS war in the Groundspeak forums. For reference, Joshism is right, Linux is the best. :D

I would have used a virtual machine instead of an emulator (wine), Microsoft offers free images for private use.

What was the topic again?

I'm well versed in Linux (I've been using Unix based operating systems for over 30 years) and all of the systems I develop for run Linux.  As a development system, however, I prefer a Mac.  It basically has a version of Linux under the hood and except for an IDE called Eclipse and a browser I spend most of my time on the command line.  Any shell scripts I write on the Mac just work on a Linux box.  Although windows command line batch can be written they only run on a PC.

I wasn't aware that Microsoft offered free images for private use.  I might have to try one in VirtualBox and may even look at creating a Docker image with Windows/GSAK.  However, isn't pretty much every PC used in the home for "private use".  Last I heard,  one had to have a Windows license to run it on a PC.

WIne isn't really an emulator, per se.  It doesn't emulate Windows, but basically rewrites a windows excecutable by replacing Windows specific system calls with code hat runs on a mac.