Age of Geocachers

TwistedCube

32 minutes ago, The Jester said:

My brain says I'm 18, but my body keeps say 'oh, no you're not!'

Yeah, every now and then my body responds to ancient reflexes that I honed through sports and martial arts when I was in my teens and early twenties. And then I become acutely aware that I am no longer in my teens or early twenties.

• Upvote 1

To go back to the question: from what I've seen at events, 45, or maybe even a little older, is the norm. But I think that's a little skewed because going to events -- and the other places I run into geocachers -- is probably more common for the older crowd, so the age of geocachers as a whole could be significantly younger.

3 hours ago, TwistedCube said:

When I went to an event I assumed most Geocachers were 20-30 years old. But to my surprise a large group of them were over 45.

So that made me thinking, what is the most common age of Geocachers?

Seems to be areas here, and we have noticed who the cacher is may play a role on attendee's age.

My immediate area,  at 62 I'm in the middle for age at events, yet one two counties away I'm usually the old fart there.

One monthy event has the same old folks as always it seems.  Another event, folks go on long hikes/climbs afterwards, and though they have some older folks attend, the norm is a younger crowd.  :)

I'm 62, almost 63, but we have a good spread of ages around here. A few years back there was a very active group of teenagers who produced many excellent high-terrain caches, although most of them have now found other interests (work, studies, women, etc.). The majority of cachers would be in the 30-50 bracket, some with kids who enjoy going out caching with them, then there are some even older than me!

On 10/17/2017 at 10:46 AM, TwistedCube said:

When I went to an event I assumed most Geocachers were 20-30 years old. But to my surprise a large group of them were over 45.

While I expect FL being a popular retirement state skews the numbers, my experience is cacher demographics are at least half 55+. Cachers under 30 are rare, except for children that cache with their parents. And in my experience family cachers tend to be very casual cachers who rarely attend events.

I'm 35 and really wish I met more people my age at geo-events.

On 10/17/2017 at 7:46 AM, TwistedCube said:

My son started geocaching in 2005 at the age of 20; his wife (that he met at a CITO event!) started at age 21 in 2009. My husband and I are retired, 61, and just began this journey.  Our local group of geocachers has a variety of ages, many retired folks, but younger ones also.  It's wonderful we can all share this hobby!

At 42, I'm one of the younger people who attend the monthly breakfasts in my area.  There are others younger than me, but most of that particular bunch are retired-- and constantly inviting me to go caching on weekdays.  I think they do that just to make me jealous.

But on the other hand, one of my caches is very easy, and a block away from my town's school.  It gets found a lot by kids, often so new to caching that they think the logbook is swag (I have to replace that every few months, after someone has once again taken it with them.)  So there's a huge age range, but  I suspect the largest group that stays involved for the long run would be 40 and up.  And the really prolific cachers?  Those would be the retired folks, with lots of free time.  

And ever notice that the retiree cachers are NEVER seen without their GPSr?  Even when we're in the diner having breakfast, as if someone's going to suddenly point out that there's a cache over in the window booth...

1 hour ago, cheech gang said:

I am currently 71,  but I have found that it seems to change every year.

I remember that when I was a kid, I was always very aware of how old I was, including the half years:
"I'm nine and a half!"

As an adult, on the rare occasions when someone asks my age, I need to do the math before answering:
"Let's see, it's 2017, it's after my birthday, and I was born in..."

• Upvote 4

Hubs and I are both 62 and purchased our lifetime senior passes this year for $10 before the cost went up to $80.  We broke even on that deal the same day because we were at a national monument and saved half of the camping fee.  FYI, it's an interagency pass so we get half-price camping at national parks, national forests, BLM, and Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds - an awesome deal!

I'm 57 but the local group seems to be a good mix of ages. I often cache with my daughter in her 30s and her daughter, 16. When we go out together, we use the handle Team3Gen. The 16 yo usually makes the grab, she moves so fast! We have discussed making her wait 5 min in the car while we get a head start.