Seattle Event in May?

Guest jeremy

Guest jeremy

I was thinking on planning a Geocaching get-together cache in the Seattle area. I have two potential venues - One is a bowling alley and another is a bar in Ballard. Bowling would be a bit more family-friendly but the bar is also a restaurant.

Any other ideas?

Jeremy

Guest Moun10Bike

I know the that the Ram Bar & Grill in the U District has a good-sized room set off from the rest of the restaurant that could be reserved -- kids would be welcome, yet there would be a good selection of beers and drinks for those who wanted to partake. Another option might be something like Illusions in Issaquah. I haven't been there myself, but I've heard it described as a Chuck E. Cheese's for an older crowd. There are video games, miniature golf, etc.

Count me in for the event! icon_smile.gif

Guest Moun10Bike

I know the that the Ram Bar & Grill in the U District has a good-sized room set off from the rest of the restaurant that could be reserved -- kids would be welcome, yet there would be a good selection of beers and drinks for those who wanted to partake. Another option might be something like Illusions in Issaquah. I haven't been there myself, but I've heard it described as a Chuck E. Cheese's for an older crowd. There are video games, miniature golf, etc.

Count me in for the event! icon_smile.gif

Guest GreginVancouver

Hey Vancouver, BC is in! We've been eyeing up the 500,000 caches in Seattle and figure that we've got a shot at being the busiest cachers in Canada! We just need a better reason to drive to Seattle. This suits the bill just fine!

Guest jeremy

How about an overnight camping trip (or day trip for those who just want to hang out and not camp)? We could do some temporary caches and stage an "event." I doubt we'll have a $5k prize but it'd be fun nonetheless.

I could reserve a location and give out the GPS coordinates a day before the event. I'd give a radius where it might be so folks can figure whether it would be reachable by most.

(We're talking car camping here)

Jeremy

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

How about an overnight camping trip (or day trip for those who just want to hang out and not camp)?

I'd be up for it! The only problem might be the time -- work is super busy right now (we are shipping a product in May), and I'm getting married in June. An evening get-together at a pub would probably be better for me until July.

Guest Silver

I wouldn't mind a Saturday event in the near mountains. Hide some temporary caches for the locals, have a meeting place for everyone to get to know each other, and still leave time for the out-of-towners to seek some of the local caches. I know our northern friends said they wanted a crack at our bonanza of treasures.

Silver

Guest Byron

I really like the idea of a camping trip. May probably isn't the best month for camping in PNW. Might try mid July. Sounds like it would be great fun to have to find the camping spot then a cach or two. Most likely I would join in on such an activity.

Byron

Guest Mike_Teague

set up a date, a sunday would work best for me, but a saturday could work, if it was in the evening....

(comin' up from portland area also)

Guest Exocet

I'd attend, too. Saturday or Sunday works. If this is for real, it should be planned out about a month in advance to get the word our to the NW geocachers.

Camping, just hanging out for an evening or both (somehow) are cool either way.

Guest Steveonne

I am interested too. Just give me the date, time and coordinates and I'll probably show up. I've been wanting to meet some of the cachers I've been following around.

Steveonne

Guest papinooo

Great idea! Either event or location would be fun. I would suggest a small gathering before the camping trip though.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Guest Silver

Jeremy,

Any new information about a date for the get-together? Since you live here, nobody else would DARE to suggest a date unless you can make it.

Silver

Guest Silver

To give some of the out-of-town geocachers a chance to get down here, how about a weekend in June?

Since Father's Day is June 17th, does anyone have a preference for either the 9-10th or the 23-24th weekend?

Silver

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Silver:

To give some of the out-of-town geocachers a chance to get down here, how about a weekend in June?

Since Father's Day is June 17th, does anyone have a preference for either the 9-10th or the 23-24th weekend?

D'oh! I'm getting married June 23rd, and have a bachelor party scheduled for the 9th. Any chance of having the event later?

Sorry, I guess that sounds a bit like whining! I was just looking forward to meeting everyone and putting some faces and names with the aliases! icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 30 May 2001).]

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Silver:

D'oh! I'm getting married June 23rd, and have a bachelor party scheduled for the 9th. Any chance of having the event later?

Sorry, I guess that sounds a bit like whining! I was just looking forward to meeting everyone and putting some faces and names with the aliases! icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 30 May 2001).]

Guest Eradicator

Okay, those PDX people were able to organize a get-together, so how about us Seattle-ites? Maybe just an impromptu gathering somewhere for a few beers?

Guest EraSeek

Being the imaginary friend of a little girl, I don't think I'm allowed to drink beer even if I could! (It can be very confusing being imaginary.)

Guest makaio

As the one who organized the PDX meeting, I just abided by the 'post it and they will come' creedo. I took the initiative, picked a spot, planned a small hunt for whomever wanted to show and posted it. Sure enough, 13 folks showed up.

I'd say someone just do the same for Seattle and have at it. If everyone waits for someone else to do it, it'll never get done. And Jeremy is so busy it's probably better for someone else to pick up the ball and run with it. If I can, I'll make the drive up from Portland.

Guest bigkid

I'll take a stab at it...

How about July 21st at Magnusson Park? It's a very kid friendly park with water, kite flying, picnic tables, incredible views and most of all, a HUGE amount of space to geocache in!

Guest makaio

DOH! You're not supposed to tell people where it is - just provide the coords and let them find it (like a cache hunt) icon_smile.gif

Once you have the coords of your chosen location, add the get together as you would any other normal type cache via the geocaching website. Give it a name, provide a short blurb and or any hints you think may be necessary. You can even add some pictures if you like.

In my case (PDX), I included coords for a mini cache hunt to be done prior to heading to the meeting spot coords. Those who were successful in the pre-hunt presented the item from the cache (a golden railroad spike) for a free drink on me (and they got to keep the spikes).

Use your imagination and plan away. Looking forward to seeing the post. I may even come up from Portland icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 21 June 2001).]

Guest makaio

DOH! You're not supposed to tell people where it is - just provide the coords and let them find it (like a cache hunt) icon_smile.gif

Once you have the coords of your chosen location, add the get together as you would any other normal type cache via the geocaching website. Give it a name, provide a short blurb and or any hints you think may be necessary. You can even add some pictures if you like.

In my case (PDX), I included coords for a mini cache hunt to be done prior to heading to the meeting spot coords. Those who were successful in the pre-hunt presented the item from the cache (a golden railroad spike) for a free drink on me (and they got to keep the spikes).

Use your imagination and plan away. Looking forward to seeing the post. I may even come up from Portland icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 21 June 2001).]

Guest bigkid

Doh, feel like such a rookie, I'm gathering some co-ords as well as latch on to some existing caches and will what other devious things my mind will create, more to come, hope to see you there!

-bigkid

Guest bigkid

The 1st Annual Summer GeoCaching Picnic is On!

Please reserve July 21st on your calendar, clues to be posted here most likely on July 16th (since I'm vacation until then)...

It will most likely be bbq/picnic style, it will be family oriented (as I'm bringing my kids) where the final site should have something for everyone, and a few Seattle cachers are schemeing innovative caches for day.

We will take donations as I think it will cost $40 to reserve the picnic area.

If you'd like to design a cache for the day or help volunteer for the picnic mailto:bigkid@playtimeinc.com.

-John

Guest bigkid

up before you get here are:

Magnusson Park Cache - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3282

The Winds of Time - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2573

Ravenna Cache - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=640

As well as others near the 98115 zip code.

We'll have a prize for the most caches in a the day collected before arriving at the picnic.

RSVP here if you're planning to make it and I look forward to meeting you all there!

-bigkid

Guest jeremy

Would you mind changing your Kalakala cache to an event cache? I'll send an email out to everyone in a 100 mile radius to let them know it's going on. The forums don't get as many visitors and it's very close to the actual event now.

Jeremy

Guest lee p

If the weather's nice, I should be able to swing by. Is the location easy to find for people on bikes? ('ve been to the nearby cache, but not the virtual one).

Guest EraSeek

I'll be there, with one of my kids and one of his friends. Be sure to bring along things of interest to keep the conversation going (ie. all your GPS's, unique cache boxes and such).

Guest Moun10Bike

Count me in, too! I'm still trying to convince my wife to join us. (She doesn't quite understand the appeal of geocaching, and thinks we are all a bunch of geeks. Hmmm, she might be right! icon_smile.gif)

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

26H/65F/3C/2S/2X

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Moun10Bike

Count me in, too! I'm still trying to convince my wife to join us. (She doesn't quite understand the appeal of geocaching, and thinks we are all a bunch of geeks. Hmmm, she might be right! icon_smile.gif)

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

26H/65F/3C/2S/2X

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest bigkid

I just want to say I had a blast and really enjoyed the picnic day. I'm glad the weather held and most of all, it was fun meeting all of you.

I hope to post a lunch cache in the future, so I (sans kids) can talk more about cool caches that I'm working on and other silly topics.

Glad I could help, hope you all had fun, and we'll definitely do it bigger and better next year!

What ideas would you like to see next year? What would you like to contribute to next year's annual picnic?

[This message has been edited by bigkid (edited 21 July 2001).]