Problems with connecting my Garmin Etrex 20x

DeniseHGW

Hello!

I am pretty new here, my parents started geocaching. I bought my own GPS (Garmin Etrex 20x) but I have problems with sending the caches to my GPS. I have a Windows 10 64bit with Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. I also have an Macbook Air with Safari. Everything is up to date. But nothing is compatible! Here is my story:

I started at my Mac, I downloaded the Garmin Communicator Plugin as requested, and succeded... But only on the Gamin website. When I go to the geocaching website, it says it cant find the Plugin... Somewhere in my system, it is jammed. I went to my settings, and put every plugin of Garmin at on, as the website said so (at the help desk). But still no good luck.

And so I went to my Microsoft PC with Windows 10, but NOTHING is compatible... Firefox sent me to Internet Explorer, and Internet Explorer said it does not support in combination with Windows 10 64bit. Chrome and the Edge are also not supported...

HELP. I tried everything I could... I even tried with EasyGPS on my Microsoft PC to transfer the Waypoints to my GPS, but even that fails.

If you're OK with copying files manually, click "GPX File" on any cache page, and save it into the Garmin, in the folder "Garmin/GPX".  That's a simple way to get one cache file.  You can do that in a similar way on either a PC or Mac.

For real freedom in Geocaching, use Pocket Queries.  You can save hundreds of caches at a time, again save the GPX files into the Garmin's "Garmin/GPX" folder.  Or look into making and saving "Lists", or combinations of things as you like.  Use the software called "Garmin Express" to save Lists.  Garmin Express is handy, since that's what keeps your GPSr system files up to date.

But the old "Garmin Communicator" plugin and its "Send To My GPS" button aren't working anymore.  Some people can still use it, but if you can't, don't try to work on that, unless you simply enjoy the challenge of messing with computer settings. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2

I'm using both the eTrex 20x and Windows 10 as well as my MacBook Pro and I haven't had any problems whatsoever connecting the eTrex 20x to either computer. Did you download and install Garmin Express? It's the key to connectivity between devices. Also, is your eTrex 20x in USB Mass Storage mode? I believe the Garmin Communicator plugin is an old plugin and you should go to Garmins website and download all the software for your device from there to ensure you're getting the newest plugins and software available. 

Edited by canadiandude
  • Upvote 1

I recently acuired a Garmin GPSMAP 64st. Garmin says for this to use Garmin express to send caches to the unit.

But it says first to creat a list then send that list. The communicator is not used at all here. Will this work for you? Unknown! But if it does then any geocaching list currently in your unit may be overwritten and replaced by the new list. This method works with all browsers.

On 10/17/2017 at 5:10 PM, kunarion said:

If you're OK with copying files manually, click "GPX File" on any cache page, and save it into the Garmin, in the folder "Garmin/GPX".  That's a simple way to get one cache file.  You can do that in a similar way on either a PC or Mac.

For real freedom in Geocaching, use Pocket Queries.  You can save hundreds of caches at a time, again save the GPX files into the Garmin's "Garmin/GPX" folder.  Or look into making and saving "Lists", or combinations of things as you like.  Use the software called "Garmin Express" to save Lists.  Garmin Express is handy, since that's what keeps your GPSr system files up to date.

But the old "Garmin Communicator" plugin and its "Send To My GPS" button aren't working anymore.  Some people can still use it, but if you can't, don't try to work on that, unless you simply enjoy the challenge of messing with computer settings. :anicute:

Many thanks for this simple solution, my "Send to GPS" worked until the last windows update, I spent the whole of last night trying to get it working across all browsers to no avail.

Edited by badgerboy1951