Garmin 20x, Downloading caches to

Does anyone know the maximum number of coordinates that this machine will hold and the best way to load them?

I seem to remember that many moons ago I used to load caches on a gpi format but the machine doesnt seem to accept these now. My usual way of filling up my old GPS was with a gpx file but this machine doesnt seem to like that many files loaded in this way.

eTrex 20/30/20x/30x

• 2,000 GPX files
  • 2,000 waypoints
  • 5,000 geocaches
  • 200 routes, 250 points per route
  • 200 saved tracks
  • 2,000 archive tracks
  • 10,000 points per track
  • 100 custom map tiles
  • 250 BirdsEye Imagery files
  • Approximately 3,000 mapping segments

Thanks for the list but could I ask what exactly it means? I assume that it is an either /or list.

I am interested purely from a Geocaching point of view and getting as many cache coordinates onto my 20x as I can

When you talk about 2000 gpx files, does that mean 2000 caches listed on one GPX file? What does 5000 Geocaches mean? I tried to load 5000 caches on a gpx file from my GSAK to the 20x and I got a message that the maximum number of caches has been exceeded but it didnt tell me what it was.

In what format can I get 5000 geocaches on?

5000 Geocaches means: No GPX file should hold more than 5000 Geocaches. It also means that there should not more than 5000 Geocaches despite on how many GPX files they are spreaded. 2000 GPX files means: there should not more than 2000 single GPX on the unit.

53 minutes ago, Weary Banker & Bookworm said:

[...] I tried to load 5000 caches on a gpx file from my GSAK to the 20x and I got a message that the maximum number of caches has been exceeded but it didnt tell me what it was.[...]

Where does the message come from? GSAK or the Garmin unit? Please have in mind that exporting 5000 geocaches in one file could also mean that this file contains additional waypoints (Children in GSAK lingo: parking area, physical stations, reference points, ...). These waypoints may exceed the 2000 waypoint limit, hence the message. You can avoid hitting this waypoint limit by exporting the children as Pois.

Hans

Edited by HHL

Thank you Hans. I will give it another try tomorrow. I think that the message came from the Garmin unit . Following on from your possible explanation, does that imply that the 2000 waypoints could be in addition to 5000 caches from the GPX?

I tried to load the caches as a gpi file which I used a long time ago . I still had a 'POI Loader' program which I used to use. Now , however, it only recognises csv or gpx files. How would you load POIs ?

18 minutes ago, Weary Banker & Bookworm said:

Thank you Hans. I will give it another try tomorrow. I think that the message came from the Garmin unit . Following on from your possible explanation, does that imply that the 2000 waypoints could be in addition to 5000 caches from the GPX? [...]

Yes, it could be. As a GSAK user you may try the GarminExport.gsk macro. It gives you the opportunity to load the geocaches as caches via a GPX file and load the children as a GPI file in one go. This macro is highly recommended and a quasi standard in exporting to Garmin units.

Hans

Edited by HHL
typo

Good evening Hans.

I tried a download using the macro and I thought everything was going Ok. With the Etrex connected to the PC,  I can see the new file that has been created. Then after disconnecting and restarting the etrex, the 'Geocache' folder is empty. Must be doing something wrong but as yet havent been able to find out what. 

John

Edited by Weary Banker & Bookworm
22 minutes ago, Weary Banker & Bookworm said:

Good evening Hans.

I tried a download using the macro and I thought everything was going Ok. With the Etrex connected to the PC,  I can see the new file that has been created. Then after disconnecting and restarting the etrex, the 'Geocache' folder is empty. Must be doing something wrong but as yet havent been able to find out what. 

John

It would be very helpful to see screenshots of your export settings and your Garmin unit's Garmin/GPX folder.

Hans

Good afternoon Hans

I think that I have spotted the problem. I had been experimenting with the differences between GPX and GGZ. It looks as if I had a GGZ folder in the GPX file.

I corrected that and it now seems to work fine.

As the download starts I get a message to say that it exceeds 2000 and gives me the option to either grab just the first 2000 or the lot which in my case was 4871. I went for the full larger.

I have attached the two pictures requested ( now it is working) in case you see anything in the settings of the Garmin Export that I should consider changing.

Thanks for the continued interest.................................. John

Garmin export.JPG

GPX folder.JPG

OK, that looks pretty good. The caches are exported and actually listed on your unit. The settings are ok. You should save the settings for future use. Also some macros rely on "saved" settings. Some macros even alter the export settings, that means the settings "... last active" might not do what you intended them to do.
Tip: You'll find te additional waypoints under "Find > Extras".
Tip2: Personally I'd check the box "Export Attribute POIs". Infos on these kind of Pois are there: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=7745&st=20&#entry97225 > Item #2

Hans