Suddenly after ~4 years I'm not validated?

JessicasDaddy

This evening I noticed that my profile says 'The "Send Email" feature is disabled because this email address has not been validated by the user.'  I've had the same email address ever since I signed up here, it was validated at that time, and I still get all geocaching-related emails (pocket queries, notifications, etc).

When I go to the "Send Validation Email" page to re-validate, I'm told 'Your username/password combination does not match. Make sure you entered your information correctly.'  But I'm already logged in and everything is working normally.

What gives?

UPDATE: Even though I got that error message from the "Send Validation Email" page, it appears that the validation emails DID get sent. I didn't realize this until after I logged out and tried to log back in again; the site required me to send a validation email (after entering my username/password). I was able to do that successfully via the link provided, and when I checked my mailbox I found several validation emails from geocaching.com. My account now appears to be in working order again.

HOWEVER...

1. Why was my email address suddenly invalidated?
  2. Why was I given an error message when I went through the "Send Validation Email" page?  https://www.geocaching.com/v/send.aspx

I am not a lackey, but I have heard of situations where email from Groundspeak to a member bounced, and the server invalidated that member's email address. If the servers continue to send email to addresses that bounce (as they have done in the past), then the servers get flagged as sources of spam by some systems.