How to respond to reviewers note

mikemtn

Per the instructions, post a note to the page explaining the extenuating circumstances.  Something like this: 

Trail maintenance continues, and the trail will be closed until [DATE], per the sign posted at the trailhead.  I will check on the cache when it's legal to access the trail.

• Upvote 3

From the sounds of the previous note to yours, the closure is going to be several months. I would probably opt to Archive for that type of time frame. 

I've had similar situations with my caches in burn areas. The NFS typically closes these areas for a year to let the area recover and to assess trail damage and rebuild if necessary. 

• Upvote 1

One of my caches is in a reserve that was closed for a couple of months while workers were upgrading the electricity cables that pass through it. I just disabled it for the duration and posted regular notes updating on the situation - here the reviewers are happy with this sort of thing, even if it drags on for a long time, as long as you post a monthly update.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

One of my caches is in a reserve that was closed for a couple of months while workers were upgrading the electricity cables that pass through it. I just disabled it for the duration and posted regular notes updating on the situation - here the reviewers are happy with this sort of thing, even if it drags on for a long time, as long as you post a monthly update.

I had two caches that were disable for six months each, while the parks they were in were being rebuilt.  Checked on the parks whenever the reviewer asked.  When the parks were done being rebuilt, I reactivated the caches.  Seems to me to be the proper way to handle the situation.

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, captnemo said:

I would archive the cache and then if I wanted to bring it back after the trail is open would reserve it with a pending listing.

Writing up a new cache page accomplishes the same thing the disabled cache does, they both hold the area. I'd opt for the disablement if the cache was a nice older one with some history to it, Let your reviewer know what's going on, make periodic checks on the area, and then post those results as notes on the cache page to keep those who are interested informed. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

... I'd opt for the disablement if the cache was a nice older one with some history to it, Let your reviewer know what's going on, make periodic checks on the area, and then post those results as notes on the cache page to keep those who are interested informed. 

I agree.  An ammo can hide, still around since '01, with no NMs and 12 favorites...

I'd keep the Temp Disable until the trail work's done, leaving occasional Write Notes on the trail crew's progress so the Reviewer can see that the CO is still keeping track, and Enable it when completed.   Simple.    :)

- Though curious if /why the Reviewer overlooked or disregarded the Temp Disable log of "Disabled due to trail maintenance. Will enable when trail work is finished." in the first place.  Looked cut and dry to me...

31 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Though curious if /why the Reviewer overlooked or disregarded the Temp Disable log of "Disabled due to trail maintenance. Will enable when trail work is finished." in the first place.  Looked cut and dry to me...

" I have been looking over caches disabled for more than thirty days "

What the heck? I wouldn't disable missing caches if this is the result.

From the Help Center:

Community volunteer reviewers may archive cache pages that are disabled for an extended time with no explanation.

Link for reference:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=38&pgid=235

Of course, you could take the option of not Disabling a cache, but wondering at what point do people feel that a cache has been Disabled or unavailable for too long?

20 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

what point do people feel that a cache has been Disabled or unavailable for too long?

If the cache is disabled they should feel nothing special. Most probably they are going to an another cache instead.

However, if someone is concerned about the matter, he can certainly offer to help with maintenance.

The important question is, why is it so urgent?

• Upvote 1
On 10/14/2017 at 3:58 PM, Touchstone said:

I would probably opt to Archive for that type of time frame.

On 10/14/2017 at 4:14 PM, captnemo said:

I would archive the cache and then if I wanted to bring it back after the trail is open would reserve it with a pending listing.

I disagree.  Nothing's wrong with the cache, it's just in an area that can't be accessed.  Temporarily disabling it, and keeping the reviewer apprised of status updates, would be my way to go, rather than archiving, then going back through the review process for a cache that didn't go anywhere. 

That's how I handled it when one of our earthcaches was unavailable for seven months during rest area remodeling -- disabled it with an explanation, kept in touch with AZDOT and posted progress, and re-enabled it when the rest area opened again.  (AZDOT didn't announce it, so I found out when another cacher let me know.)

14 hours ago, Touchstone said:

Of course, you could take the option of not Disabling a cache, but wondering at what point do people feel that a cache has been Disabled or unavailable for too long?

I think 11 years is at the longer end, and yeah, you can detect some angst in the logs for GC600.

The similarly situated GC877 was finally archived after seven years of being disabled.

Six months doesn't seem too bad in comparison, but yeah, if it drags on, at some point enough is enough.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, hzoi said:

I disagree.  Nothing's wrong with the cache, it's just in an area that can't be accessed.  Temporarily disabling it, and keeping the reviewer apprised of status updates, would be my way to go, rather than archiving, then going back through the review process for a cache that didn't go anywhere. 

That's how I handled it when one of our earthcaches was unavailable for seven months during rest area remodeling -- disabled it with an explanation, kept in touch with AZDOT and posted progress, and re-enabled it when the rest area opened again.  (AZDOT didn't announce it, so I found out when another cacher let me know.)

I think 11 years is at the longer end, and yeah, you can detect some angst in the logs for GC600.

The similarly situated GC877 was finally archived after seven years of being disabled.

Six months doesn't seem too bad in comparison, but yeah, if it drags on, at some point enough is enough.

There was a cache about a 1/2 mile form me in a gorge with a really nice stone walkway that goes down through the gorge along side a creek.  The walkway passes several really nice waterfalls (one is about 70' high) and crosses a stone bridge at one point.  Every winter, the city closes the trail around late November or Early December.  There are signs posted at the lower and upper entrances to the trail indicating that the area is closed.  Depending on the severity of the winter, it usually doesn't reopen until April or so.  Every winter that cache, which was placed in 2001, was disabled for 4-5 months while the trail was closed, up until three years ago or so when the trail was closed for almost two years for reconstruction.  Geocaches can be disabled for a fairly long time, as long as the reviewer is kept informed about it's status.  

13 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There was a cache about a 1/2 mile form me in a gorge with a really nice stone walkway that goes down through the gorge along side a creek.  The walkway passes several really nice waterfalls (one is about 70' high) and crosses a stone bridge at one point.  Every winter, the city closes the trail around late November or Early December.  There are signs posted at the lower and upper entrances to the trail indicating that the area is closed.  Depending on the severity of the winter, it usually doesn't reopen until April or so.  Every winter that cache, which was placed in 2001, was disabled for 4-5 months while the trail was closed, up until three years ago or so when the trail was closed for almost two years for reconstruction.  Geocaches can be disabled for a fairly long time, as long as the reviewer is kept informed about it's status.  

I adopted an older cache that is now disabled due to construction in the area. I have no doubt the cache is in place but the construction blocks access to the area it's hidden in. Just now checked and to my surprise, see that i disabled it back in September,   2015. I didn't realize it had been that long ago. :o  Anyway, the reviewer has been very understanding. Of course, he does want updates, which i do try to remember to provide,, before he asks. I sometimes let time slip up on me and forget. :unsure: 

And having said that, i'm glad this thread came up. Reminded me that it's about time for me to run back over there to see if any progress has been made. ;)

Edited by Mudfrog
  • Upvote 1

I've mentioned this before, but I had a cache disabled for almost four years. It was in a spot where there was a lot of construction for that whole time. It was part of our most used bridge in town, re-doing a clover. Imagine having to deal with that construction as a town for that many years, yeesh (although, to be fair, the road was finished earlier than the cache spot). They just added a roundabout to that same area that is giving the town fits now. Never ends. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I wasn't as communicative as I could be, looking back on it. I didn't have any issues with reviewers, but I'd get a note on it every so often from locals who wanted to know when it would be back up. It was a multi and I didn't want to be to upfront about the final spot, so people weren't aware of where it was to know that the construction was obviously still ongoing. Although at that point, it should have been obvious since it was the only place in town with that much construction.

If I did it over again I would have made updates on the page more often. I felt like it was becoming too cluttered and forum-like as it was, however.

• Upvote 1