The Great Ridgewood View Trash Out!

Kyle S

Hi all,

Spurred by the encouragement of local Geocachers (and the 'Trash Out' ethic of the Geocaching community) Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District is sponsoring a clean-up of Ridgewood View Park on May 10th, 2003. I have received numerous questions about all those curious square, metal plates strewn about the wooded area, as well as about the trash all along the numerous dirt trails criss-crossing the woods.

Our goal will be to pick up the trash and encourage neighborhood stewardship of the park. And, if we have enough people there, we will also remove some of the ivy which is climbing the trees and out-competing the native plants. I will be providing all the necessary tools and supplies (garbage bags, loppers, water, bagels) and will have a truck to fill with the garbage we haul out. Please bring heavy (leather) gloves and wear clothing appropriate to the work and our famous Oregon weather.

If you have any questions, please contact me at 503-645-3539 or kspinks@thprd.com.

Thanks and I hope to see all of you there!

Kyle S (THPRD guy)

Cool! I'm there.

It might also be a good idea to post this on geocaching.com as an event cache. That way, people that don't read the forums will be there, too.

Are we going to level out the bicycle jumps too?

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Wow! It's only been about an hour and I've received a couple calls about this clean-up.

We'll be meeting at 9:00 AM the main entrance to Ridgewood View Park at the end of SW Ardenwood Street.

Hope to see y'all there.

Kyle S (THPRD guy)

As always, we'll try to contribute how we can. I inadvertantly started another thread about this. Have we given any thought to making this our local effort to contribut to the Cache In, Trash Out day? We were thinking about ordering the T-Shirts (I'm a sucker for marketing gimmicks) & figured if anyone else wanted them we could save on shipping. The T-shirts are $3 each.

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

quote:
Originally posted by Team JOYSON:

We were thinking about ordering the T-Shirts (I'm a sucker for marketing gimmicks) & figured if anyone else wanted them we could save on shipping. The T-shirts are $3 each.

Gofindit and myself are interested in purchasing the T-Shirts. Maybe we can get a list of interested persons at the gathering tonight.

Charlie Trail Duster -

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Cache in, Trash out T-shirts

Ok, I spaced it last night having too much fun talking with everyone. Anyone else want to go in on some of these t-shirts for the clean up? They're $3 each, but we'll be paying more in shipping if we only do 1 at a time. Make a post if you're interested, or send me an e-mail through the site.

Jason of JOYSON

I was thinking I'd order a few extras (8-10) and place a card in a cache before the cleanup and the cards could be redeemed at the cleanup for a free shirt.

When going through the ordering process the S/H came to $8.50. When I reduced the order to 1 shirt it was $6.50. I thought it was supposed to be $5 S/H.

I am waiting to order until I know what I am spending.

Jason, you know where I work icon_smile.gif so we could coordinate the ordering soon.

I used to work with CharlieTD and 1Pilot has done work for a family member (is this a small world or what?) so I think they can be trusted icon_biggrin.gif I only met Jeeplife yesterday, but he found and returned a plundered cache of mine! I trust him too.

I've got an e-mail in to the people at Groundspeak. S&H was my biggest concern when we first started looking at this. The other downside is that the site doesn't let you specify different sizes for bulk orders. Hopefully we'll be able to coordinate everything through them directly & avoid any misunderstandings. We'll take a final count here by the end of the week to make sure everyone's had enough time to respond, but also so the shirts have enough time to get here. Thanks for the response so far!

We're good for one 2XL tee and one 3XL tee, esp. since they are 100% cotton and will likely shrink a bit. Plus, better too big than too small in our opinion, and how can you lose at that price?

Where is this Ridgewood View Park? At this writing, only 2 of our May weekends are not already booked (mostly with geocaching stuff), and one of those 2 weekends soon will be booked with an out-of-town family birthday celebration (to celebrate several family May birthdays). If by chance May 10th turns out to be our only open weekend, the 2 of us will plan to make an appearance.

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

Allright, here's the count that I have so far...

Gofindit L

Charlie Trail Duster L

Team Joyson XL

1Pilot M S

jeeplife XL XL

Grandpa & Grandma XXL XXL

Kiwimonster XL XXL

Quantum Mechanic XXL

Dasein XXL XXXL

PDXMarathonman lots

just post here if there's any changes. Getting together ahead of time to coordinate the exchange of funds would be great. We'll give it through the end of the week to let anyone else post a request, then process the order this weekend.

I will be there. In addition, my daughters Girl Scout Troop is always looking for community service projects. I have contacted their leader and she will be announcing it at the next meeting...

I am also trying to figure a way to have a caching activity for them. Any ideas?

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said,

... but they will always remember how you made them feel.

Hey Kyle, have you done the work of actually registering a cache event? You don't wanna lose the folks who DON'T read the forums all the time! icon_smile.gif

ALSO... it would be cool to salt the park with "easter egg" mini-caches as prizes!

Maybe have the "easter egg caches" give clues for a major uber-cache someplace - or something. icon_smile.gif

Can we bring a barbecue?

-Elana

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

no offense intended, but I think the focus should stay on the clean up instead of this becoming a caching party. It'd be cool to get together somewhere, or do something afterwards. Those are great ideas for an easter get together though... possibly another event?

no offense intended, but I think the focus should stay on the clean up instead of this becoming a caching party. It'd be cool to get together somewhere, or do something afterwards. Those are great ideas for an easter get together though... possibly another event?

This cache event - the big inspiration for everyone, it seems, combined a chili cookoff and party with serious cache-and-trash. They had one heck of a successful event. If they can do it with a party/celebration element added, and they proved it to be good, I don't see why we can't do it that way either.

The party part keeps our spirits up for what is not the most fun task, really... eww... trash city! But it's worth it for the fun aspects and helps us to keep on task that way. icon_smile.gif

Just IHMO... icon_smile.gif

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

quote:

It's work! It's not supposed to be fun! <emoticon>

_

SAYS WHO??? icon_eek.gif Where is that written??? If I don't see it in writing I will never believe it... icon_razz.gif

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

OK. I have had a little offline communique with Team Joyson and I am going to be placing the order for T-Shirts (I get a better kick back from the credit card company).

I have a tally that I think is accurate, so if you want to get in on the group order please do so before noon Thursday (4/10/03).

Gofindit had suggested getting together at IHOP so that folks could pay up sooner rather than later. So, if I were there on Sunday morning pounding down Tequila Sunrises starting at 8:30am would I be all alone?

I could stagger the mile and a half home around 10:00am if nobody else shows up (and if S.M.C. gets back online you could grab that cache!)

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

Gofindit had suggested getting together at IHOP so that folks could pay up sooner rather than later. So, if I were there on Sunday morning pounding down Tequila Sunrises starting at 8:30am would I be all alone?

We certainly won't be there. Weekends are when we catch up on our sleep. We'd be happy to send you a check...

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

I placed the order for the shirts.

The following have orders in as communicated above:

1pilot

jeeplife

GG&GR

Quantum Mechanic

dasein

gofindit

Charlie TD

Team Joyson

Kiwimonster

1 for Kyle S

Some for a cache to be placed soon...

The shipping is almost exactly $0.50 per shirt, so I'll round it to be $0.50. Remember $1 extra for each extra X above size XL.

Anyone who prefers to send me a check please email me and I'll give you my mailing address.

We'll figure out a shirt distribution method (I am sure you don't want to wait until May 10th to get them).

I will be trying to start a group private topic, so check that section to see if it works.

Hi all,

Great to see the response! Just this morning I posted an Event Cache, as recommended by the sage amongst you. If you have any suggestions as to improving the page (this is my first posting so I'm learning all this as I go along) send me an email at kspinks@thprd.com and I'll edit the page.

Thanks for all your support and hope to see you there!

Kyle S

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

To answer my own question: Very Lonely.

We'll have to figure out a better plan.

I don't want you to feel uneasy regarding the money issue and I would certainly be glad to mail you a check now if you prefer. An alternative might be to wait until the shirts arrive then set up a distribution/collection meeting at the Beaverton IHop location. A Saturday evening time may allow folks to complete their scheduled activities and have some dinner first. Thanks to you and Team JOYSON for helping us save some cash.

Charlie Trail Duster -

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Looks like the Cap'n's not the only one who's flying solo for this event. Joy will be on a retreat at the beach this weekend, so I guess it's up to me to represent! We've bumped into the cap'n's crew more times out and about than any other geocachers to date (at least 3 or 4 times now I believe). Save one of those nifty stickers for me!

Jason of JOYSON