Current.gpx auto-deleted, F/W v3.40

jimlarkey

New to v3.40....

When the OR700 is OFF, then connected to USB port (Win 10), the file F:\Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx is automatically deleted after the "Saving all waypoints, routes, and trip log info in GPX format" GPSr screen popup.

When the  OR700 is ON, then connected to USB port, F:\Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx is preserved.

Have not observed this feature of automatically deleting user data without the user's consent in previous versions of F/W.  Garmin tech support confirmed this behavior today with their own unit.

So if you have a valuable triplog which you want to preserve with transfer to PC, be sure to turn on the GPSr first before attempting transfer.

I can't say if what I've experienced is produced by the sequence you mentioned, but am beginning to think there may be a problem in the saving of track logs.

I've lost 2 tracks on my Oregon 700. First time I thought it was me and passed it off. The next time it happened, I had cleared the track before the hike to start fresh, then at the end of the hike I hit STOP, gave it a name then hit SAVE. Got home, connected the 700 (it was off) to the computer, and my saved file was there but only contained summary information like TotalElapsedTime, MovingSpeed, AvgAscentRate, etc., no breadcrumb data.

Is it related to the problem you mentioned? I don't know, but I'm going to pay closer attention to my workflow next time. I've saved many tracks before without issue. Something appears to be inconsistent.

Were having issues as well with the tracks... we lost some while trying to save them. And wouldn't save them as well. I did find the setting in tracking setup for export wasn't set to gpx.. Still not sure until tomorrow when I have time to run record some tracking and try to save them. now I know..it's v3.40    How do you roll back?

Garmin tech support lost his track in his OR750, as well.

For rollback, see the F/W section under the following:

http://www.gpsrchive.com/Oregon 7x0/index.htm

GCD Update Procedure

• Use the links in Firmware History to download the zipped file for the desired version
  • Unzip the downloaded archive and extract the gcd file
  • Rename the gcd file to gupdate.gcd
  • Remove µSD card from the Oregon 7x0, if present
  • Connect the Oregon 7x0 to your computer and enter Mass Storage Mode
  • Copy the gupdate.gcd file to [GPSr]\Garmin\gupdate.gcd
  • Disconnect and reboot the GPSr
  • Once the update is completed, the GPSr will delete the gupdate.gcd file

13 hours ago, jimlarkey said:

Garmin tech support lost his track in his OR750, as well.

For rollback, see the F/W section under the following:

http://www.gpsrchive.com/Oregon 7x0/index.htm

GCD Update Procedure

• Use the links in Firmware History to download the zipped file for the desired version
  • Unzip the downloaded archive and extract the gcd file
  • Rename the gcd file to gupdate.gcd
  • Remove µSD card from the Oregon 7x0, if present
  • Connect the Oregon 7x0 to your computer and enter Mass Storage Mode
  • Copy the gupdate.gcd file to [GPSr]\Garmin\gupdate.gcd
  • Disconnect and reboot the GPSr
  • Once the update is completed, the GPSr will delete the gupdate.gcd file

Thanks... so this beta was ok?  I'm downloading now

I've found that performing a battery swap will clear a track (Oregon 700, v3.4). This is the sequence I encountered:
- I began a fresh track at the trailhead.
- Near the end of the hike, the Batteries Low message showed.
- I turn off the unit, swap out the AA's with a fresh set, and power back on.
- When I displayed the map page, my entire track was gone! It did however, begin a new track at the point where I inserted the fresh batteries. How thoughtful of them to clear out my current track to make room for the new track. :huh:
I'd rather not rollback as they did fix some bugs that I encountered. Trying to patiently wait for the next version...

My apologies to Garmin...they did listen, F/W 3.5 issued....

Hello James,

Want to let you know that our engineers fixed your issue with Oregon loosing track data when plugging the device into your computer. We release a software update of 3.5 that should resolve your issue. Below are the steps on how to update the software on the Oregon.

The software update may erase user data that has been saved to the device. Before performing the software update, back up all user data (waypoints, routes, and tracks). For instruction on backing up user data from the device, please see related content.

To update your device's software a program called Garmin Express will need to be downloaded and installed*. Once the program has been installed, please follow the prompts to add your device and then install any available updates.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

[Tech Rep]

• Upvote 1
Installed v3.5. Same scenario as my previous comment, performed a battery swap in the field and my track was preserved! :)

One more bug to go and I'd be super happy. If the Dashboard is set to AUTOMOTIVE and Routing/Calculation Method set to PROMPTED, it'll draw a straight line to the destination rather than give turn-by-turn directions. I can live with that one for the time being.
On 10/24/2017 at 11:38 AM, wwjd7 said:
Installed v3.5. Same scenario as my previous comment, performed a battery swap in the field and my track was preserved! :)

One more bug to go and I'd be super happy. If the Dashboard is set to AUTOMOTIVE and Routing/Calculation Method set to PROMPTED, it'll draw a straight line to the destination rather than give turn-by-turn directions. I can live with that one for the time being.

There is no Automotive dashboard in the Oregon 7x0. Please post an accurate explanation of how to recreate your issue.

5 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

There is no Automotive dashboard in the Oregon 7x0. Please post an accurate explanation of how to recreate your issue.

The problem appears related to switching activities. Screen shots attached.

First, the  preparation:
You have two Activities, a Geocaching activity and another activity (we'll call it Driving).
The Geocaching Activity has Map/Dashboard set to Geocache, and Routing/Activity set to Direct Routing.
The Driving Activity has Map/Dashboard set to Automotive, Routing/Activity set to Automobile Driving, and Calculation Method set to Prompted.

This shows the problem...
1) On the Geocaching activity, search for any Geocache and pick Go. The point is to get the GPS to do a Direct Routing calculation. It draws a direct line to the cache. Perfect. Hit Stop Navigation.
2) Now return to the Activity selection page and swipe to select the Driving activity.
3) Now search for any destination to drive to.
4) You'll be prompted for Minimize Time, Minimize Distance, or Minimize Ascent. Select either Minimize Time or Minimize Distance.
5) It will draw a direct line to the destination, no turn-by-turn directions!

calculation method - prompted.png

dashboard-automotive.png

drive to service road.png

1 hour ago, HHL said:

You'll need to have installed routable maps as well.
The nüvi like dashboard will then look similar to this:

Screen_Oregon7x0_Navigation.jpg

Hans

Of course, the maps I'm using are routable. They are openstreetmap by the way.

If the Calculation Method is set to Minimize Time or Minimize Distance, it does give turn-by-turn directions. Problem only shows up when Calculation Method is set to Prompted then it draws a straight line to my destination.
11 hours ago, wwjd7 said:

The problem appears related to switching activities. Screen shots attached.

First, the  preparation:
You have two Activities, a Geocaching activity and another activity (we'll call it Driving).
The Geocaching Activity has Map/Dashboard set to Geocache, and Routing/Activity set to Direct Routing.
The Driving Activity has Map/Dashboard set to Automotive, Routing/Activity set to Automobile Driving, and Calculation Method set to Prompted.

This shows the problem...
1) On the Geocaching activity, search for any Geocache and pick Go. The point is to get the GPS to do a Direct Routing calculation. It draws a direct line to the cache. Perfect. Hit Stop Navigation.
2) Now return to the Activity selection page and swipe to select the Driving activity.
3) Now search for any destination to drive to.
4) You'll be prompted for Minimize Time, Minimize Distance, or Minimize Ascent. Select either Minimize Time or Minimize Distance.
5) It will draw a direct line to the destination, no turn-by-turn directions!

calculation method - prompted.png

dashboard-automotive.png

drive to service road.png

Thank you, I have been able to duplicate this error. It has been added to the Oregon 7x0 Common Issues page at GPSrChive.com and I have reported the issue to Garmin software engineers.

7 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Thank you, I have been able to duplicate this error. It has been added to the Oregon 7x0 Common Issues page at GPSrChive.com and I have reported the issue to Garmin software engineers.

Thank you Atlas Cached.

It was challenging to find the specific sequence of steps that recreated the issue, particularly to be in the, apparently unrelated, Geocaching activity first. Glad you were able to duplicate it. Garmin should be able to do as well then. :)

An updated v3.6 has been released that's fixed the auto-routing bug mentioned above. Auto-routing now calculates turn-by-turn directions when Calculation Method is set to Prompted.
Thanks for everyone's contribution and assistance. Have to give Garmin credit as well... it was less than a week from them being made aware of the bug to a released fix. That's good service. :)