Member finding Premium Caches

Mrs Hazzer

1 hour ago, Mrs Hazzer said:

How does someone who isn't a Premium member find Premium caches & manages to get first to find on them?

That a cache is PMO means that only the premium members can see it listed or seen on the map. There are several ways for a Basic member to be able to view the listing of a PMO cache and fetch it. The simplest is that a Premium member has passed the coordinates (or the GPX), or even that they have gone together but the PM has not logged in yet. Then to log in, you need only the GC code and the logbook URL that comes from that GC. The login of PMO caches is not restricted to premium users. If the Basic user has signed the physical logbook, he has every right to log online.

I believe you need a premium account to view premium cache icons on the map and to access the premium cache pages.

I know of families that have one paid premium account for the household and the rest of the cachers use basic accounts, i.e. Dad has the premium account and the kids have basic accounts. I have seen this with husband & wife teams too.

For this example, the kids use Dad's account to access the premium cache pages, notifications, coords etc...and go find the cache. In this instance it's a FTF.

Now to log the premium cache as a basic member, type or copy this into your URL window. (NOTE you will need to fill in the CGcode)

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=GCXXXXX

This should take you directly to the "Post a new log" page. From there, you can post your log as a basic member and you will receive credit for the premium find.

I have seen this same exact task accoplished using GSAK as well!

Edited by boisestate
Clarification, punctuation and spelling...it's an OCD thing
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, boisestate said:

I believe you need a premium account to be able to see premium cache icons on the map and to access the premium cache pages.

I know of families that have one paid premium account for the household and the rest of the cachers use basic accounts, i.e. Dad has the premium account and the kids have basic accounts. I have seen this with husband & wife teams too.

For this example...the kids use dads account to access the premium cache pages and notifications etc...and go find the cache.

To log the premium cache as a basic member..type or copy this into your URL window: (NOTE you will need to fill in the CGcode)

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=GCXXXXX

This should take you directly to the "Post a new log" page:
From there, you can post your log as a basic member and you will receive credit for the premium find.

I have seen this same exact task accoplished using GSAK as well!

The few times we've seen a basic member get ftf on a cache, it was similar.  A relative either passing the info, husband/wife teams, or someone "borrowing" their account.  Our own, I always had the pm, the other 2/3rds has her basic account, yet she's the one with the most ftfs in our team.   :)

We offer new, basic folks a different, simpler method than above, but agree it's easy for a basic member to log pmo caches.