Geocaching Live returning few NEW caches when lots of FOUNDs

wwjd7

Just got into using Geocaching Live on my Oregon 700. 

In principle it works, it retrieves 25 caches, however... it retrieves few NEW caches because my FOUNDS make up the majority in the area I’m searching. I can see this becoming more of a problem as more finds are made, then it’ll return 25 FOUNDS and 0 NEW caches.

Is there a way to give NEW caches a higher download priority over FOUND? If I’m geocaching live in the field, I want NEW caches, I don’t care about the ones I’ve already found. Is it a Garmin or a Geocaching.com issue? Is there a solution?

the Oregon 7x0 is not giving priority to found or unfound, it is simply loading the 25 nearest geocaches to the current location. If you simply press 'refresh' again, it will load additional geocaches near the current location. Panning the map and pressing 'refresh' will continue to load additional geocaches by proximity to the center of the map.

See Applications > Geocaching > Geocache Map.

Thank you for the replies.

The PQ method would be a weak solution in my case as the PQ would have to already exist, or else build it from scratch in the field. Doable? Absolutely, in a pinch, but tedious on a small cell screen. Sort of takes away from the spontaneity of simply hitting refresh on a page anytime, anywhere.

However, if it’s as simple as hitting refresh more than once, a simple thing like that I never tried. Will try that, thanks. :)

11 hours ago, wwjd7 said:

Thank you for the replies.

The PQ method would be a weak solution in my case as the PQ would have to already exist, or else build it from scratch in the field. Doable? Absolutely, in a pinch, but tedious on a small cell screen. Sort of takes away from the spontaneity of simply hitting refresh on a page anytime, anywhere.

However, if it’s as simple as hitting refresh more than once, a simple thing like that I never tried. Will try that, thanks. :)

If you're in an area where most of the hides are finds, then it's safe to assume you're caching in an area that you visit regularly. A PQ is the perfect solution for that as you can keep the entire area updated on a regular basis. If it's your home city you've encountered this issue with, then create a pocket query (or more if needed) and have them run weekly. If it's another place that you visit regularly (parent's city, etc.), run it just before you leave. And for places that I don't visit often, even with the Live feature, I would still pre-plan and make and run pocket queries, using the live search to fill in any gaps on demand. Do not underestimate the value of the PQ, especially since you can download them directly to your Oregon 700 without th need to connect to a computer.

Unfortunately, filtering only works AFTER a download, not before. My filter is set to display all and to hide my finds. That was when I noticed the problem. Geocaching Live returned 10 unfound caches when I knew it should be closer to 20. Turns out 15 of the results returned were FOUNDs, making a total of 25.

I've been using PQ's for years and saving to my GPS before I head out. I was kind of hoping Geocaching Live would replace that workflow. Apparently not. Going forward, I'll try the downloading of PQ's live in the field and see how that works for me.

Thanks for al the replies.

I don't use PQs on my Oregon 700. I either use Live if I randomly end up some place (and I have my GPS vs my phone) or more often than not, I'm planning an outing and create a bookmark list (vs a PQ) of the caches and load the bookmark list over the air before leaving the house.

I use Cachly on my phone as well as having an Oregon 700 and haven't used PQs there either, though it's supported. I either use live or download a bookmark list. Not sure I would look to go back to PQs but maybe I'd hit some use case for it.