Submit reviewer note

Gill & Tony

I'm setting up a new cache, but don't yet have the container.  I have created the listing and have submitted a reviewer note stating that I won't have the container available for a couple of weeks.  I have not yet submitted the listing for review.  Do I need to submit it for review before the reviewer can see my note or have I done enough already?

Thanks

Tony

31 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

I'm setting up a new cache, but don't yet have the container.  I have created the listing and have submitted a reviewer note stating that I won't have the container available for a couple of weeks.  I have not yet submitted the listing for review.  Do I need to submit it for review before the reviewer can see my note or have I done enough already?

Thanks

Tony

You should not send any cache for review without a container already on place.

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

Thanks

Tony

I just create a bare bones reviewer note when setting up the cache page, then progressively edit it, fleshing it out with land zoning information, permissions if required and adding details and photos of the container and its placement as work progresses. I presume the note the reviewer ultimately gets is the final edited version that exists at the point when I click on submit.

40 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

I have seen advice elsewhere that folk can submit a cache for a coordinate check, before going to the trouble of placing the container.  I had assumed that this was acceptable if the submission specifically said that the container was not in place and the cache should not be published.  I guess that assumption was wrong.

So, does this mean that my reviewer note is visible to my reviewer?

It should be, but they probably won't notice it until you submit it for publishing unless you email them first.  Wait until your container is in place before submitting it for review.  If someone else attempts to place a cache within your .10 area, the reviewer will send you a note (assuming your placed date is earlier) asking if your cache is ready to go.  You had first claim (again, assuming you have an earlier placed date) so it "should" be your spot.  I've had that happen but the location wasn't important enough for me to claim as mine so I gave it up for another cacher to place something instead.  I had first right of refusal.  As to your coordinate check, you should be fine doing that, even without the cache container in place.  You're not asking for publication, you're asking for verification that the spot is indeed available for you to eventually submit one.

You should be fine.  Making the listing should hold the spot for you.  I don't see why the reviewer would need to see your note unless you are wanting to check the coords to see if they are good before placing it. If that is the case make sure to make it clear in the note that the cache is not in place and hit submit.  If you think the spot is clear then just wait until the cache is in place and then hit submit.  Just remember that the reviewer notes you make I don't think are editable after you make them.  I don't make to many notes until right before I hit submit otherwise it might confuse the revewer once he/she takes a look at it.

Do I need to submit it for review before the reviewer can see my note

If you're wanting some reviewer input, YES, submit for review, or, email your local reviewer with the GC CODE of the cache.  Some reviewers prefer one, some the other. If you don't know which, I'd go with Submit, possibly titling the cache Not Ready to Publish, or Coords Checking, or something so that it doesn't accidentally get published. Ask your question(s) in your reviewer note.

If you're wondering if the cache holds the spot, yes, even unpublished, it will be seen by a reviewer IF another cache is submitted near it, and you'll be given "dibs", provided yours is the older cache page, and the reviewer note offers info about when you're going forward, and it hasn't been many months since you last posted something to the page.

I'd modify this as, you should not send any cache for PUBLICATION without a container in place.  You can submit to ask questions, making it clear that the cache is NOT ready. ( I expect we've all seen the novice hider who writes up page, submits, and then finds out that it got published and people are out hunting it before they actually placed it.)

(Is it visible to a reviewer?  In a sense,  any unpublished cache on the site is visible to a reviewer, if they go look for it. .Reviewer notes are NOT forwarded to reviewers. They're just sitting on the page, waiting to be read by whichever reviewer opens the page on submit.  During review,  if a reviewer asks a question,  they may put the cache on watch, so that logs to it come as email.)

Edited by palmetto
  • Upvote 4
38 minutes ago, palmetto said:

If you're wanting some reviewer input, YES, submit for review, or, email your local reviewer with the GC CODE of the cache.  Some reviewers prefer one, some the other. If you don't know which, I'd go with Submit, possibly titling the cache Not Ready to Publish, or Coords Checking, or something so that it doesn't accidentally get published. Ask your question(s) in your reviewer note.

If you're wondering if the cache holds the spot, yes, even unpublished, it will be seen by a reviewer IF another cache is submitted near it, and you'll be given "dibs", provided yours is the older cache page, and the reviewer note offers info about when you're going forward, and it hasn't been many months since you last posted something to the page.

I'd modify this as, you should not send any cache for PUBLICATION without a container in place.  You can submit to ask questions, making it clear that the cache is NOT ready. ( I expect we've all seen the novice hider who writes up page, submits, and then finds out that it got published and people are out hunting it before they actually placed it.)

(Is it visible to a reviewer?  In a sense,  any unpublished cache on the site is visible to a reviewer, if they go look for it. .Reviewer notes are NOT forwarded to reviewers. They're just sitting on the page, waiting to be read by whichever reviewer opens the page on submit.  During review,  if a reviewer asks a question,  they may put the cache on watch, so that logs to it come as email.)

Thank you very much for that clear explanation.   

As it happens I've just been told that the container is on the way and I may be able to complete everything before I go away on the weekend.

• Upvote 1