Cancel NM entry on cache

AchillesKW

I accidentally placed a Needs Maintenance on a cache intended for a different one I found today. I have archived it but it still appears as an NM on the list of entries for the cache which seems to bother the CO.

Is there anything I can do to get that record of an NM removed from his cache for him?

cheers,

AchillesKW

7 minutes ago, dprovan said:

No, but you can file a note clearly explaining your mistake. Even if the CO never files an OM to clear the maintenance flag, anyone reading the logs will see that there's not really a problem.

nd those not reading logs might just see the "NM attribute", as will a reviewer. 1 month later that means TA, another month without OM means Archived (at least that's how it is around here).

13 hours ago, on4bam said:

And those not reading logs might just see the "NM attribute", as will a reviewer. 1 month later that means TA, another month without OM means Archived (at least that's how it is around here).

I'm not sure why you're bringing that up. Those are certainly unfortunate problems, but the OP doesn't need to worry about them and couldn't do anything about it even if they were worried about them.

13 hours ago, on4bam said:

nd those not reading logs might just see the "NM attribute", as will a reviewer. 1 month later that means TA, another month without OM means Archived (at least that's how it is around here).

Not if the owner posts an OM explaining the mistake. I very much doubt a reviewer would temporarily disable the cache without reading recent logs, including the deleted NM and the follow-up note from the OP saying it was a mistake. What reviewer is going to TD an active cache over one mistaken NM? I've never seen it  happen.

• Upvote 2

While it's possible that a misplaced "Needs Maintenance" log may contribute to a low cache health score, perhaps ultimately leading to an automated reminder email being sent to the cache owner, the trained eye of a Community Volunteer Reviewer adds a human element.*  The Reviewer would read the logs, learn that the NM was placed in error, and take that fact into account when deciding whether any action against the cache was warranted.  The same is true for "Needs Archived" logs.  I have a standard response template for "Needs Archived" logs that should have been either a "DNF" or "Needs Maintenance" log.  I use it weekly. 

*Many Reviewers are Dogs.

• Upvote 2
On 10/10/2017 at 1:57 AM, dprovan said:

No, but you can file a note clearly explaining your mistake. Even if the CO never files an OM to clear the maintenance flag, anyone reading the logs will see that there's not really a problem.

On 10/10/2017 at 2:02 AM, on4bam said:

On 10/10/2017 at 3:11 PM, dprovan said:

I'm not sure why you're bringing that up. Those are certainly unfortunate problems, but the OP doesn't need to worry about them and couldn't do anything about it even if they were worried about them.

I'm sure this thread will somehow become a long debate :P.

The OP has done what he can and can move on. It's now up to the CO to do the rest, which consists of,,,GASP,,, taking a whole minute to file the OM log. ;)

Don't worry about it at all! From what I am seeing is the CO is active and probably doesn't want it at the top of the list that there was a "needs maintenance"  Logged on his cache.  You are new and we all made mistakes when we started...and sometimes still do. Part of being a CO is dealing with stuff like this.  It seems more of the CO's problem then yours.  You have done everything that you can do.  Now just go out and find caches and have fun while doing it!  The fact that you came here wanting to help shows how great of a cacher you are. 

• Upvote 2