Grave caches?

RummelClan

What are the guidelines for caches placed in vases attached to memorials/ graves? I am very interested in placing a cache inside vase that is attached to my grandfathers memorial. The surviving family is all aware of my intentions and fine with its possible placement. I am just curious if there are restrictions that I am unaware of. The vase on the grave is allowed to be handled and bouquets are permitted to be placed in it at families discretion. Thanks! 

We have found caches placed on graves by the family (and that is made clear in the description).  Does the cemetery have any restrictions?  If they are OK with it, and your family is OK with it, it should be fine.  One very nicely done was inside a figurine placed as part of the little flower garden beneath the headstone.  (GC11CNB)

Be very clear, both in your cache description and in your private reviewer note, that the cache is on your own relative's memorial.  Other than that, the cemetery's rules apply.  Readers in other states/countries should check the Regional Geocaching Policies wiki to see if there are special considerations there.  (For example, no cemetery caches are allowed in Tennessee.)

Visiting geocachers will enjoy their visit more if they know exactly which grave to look near, and that the cache is hidden with permission.  This is a good cache for offering a dead giveaway hint.  (Pardon the pun.)

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Keystone said:

Be very clear, both in your cache description and in your private reviewer note, that the cache is on your own relative's memorial.  Other than that, the cemetery's rules apply.  Readers in other states/countries should check the Regional Geocaching Policies wiki to see if there are special considerations there.  (For example, no cemetery caches are allowed in Tennessee.)

Visiting geocachers will enjoy their visit more if they know exactly which grave to look near, and that the cache is hidden with permission.  This is a good cache for offering a dead giveaway hint.  (Pardon the pun.)

Yeah, I've found a cache like that. It was hidden by a family member, and was one of the "memorial objects" permitted by the cemetery policy. The cache description provided the name of the deceased (and some interesting historical information relevant to her life), and the cache container was obvious as I walked up, and I suspect that it would be obvious to even the newest geocachers.

But as Keystone pointed out, YMMV. Check your local laws, policies, etc.

3 hours ago, RummelClan said:

What are the guidelines for caches placed in vases attached to memorials/ graves? I am very interested in placing a cache inside vase that is attached to my grandfathers memorial. The surviving family is all aware of my intentions and fine with its possible placement. I am just curious if there are restrictions that I am unaware of. The vase on the grave is allowed to be handled and bouquets are permitted to be placed in it at families discretion. Thanks! 

I've only found one cache in a headstone vase.  It was a stage of a multi-cache, a clam shell with coordinates written on it.  The shell was green with algae, in the green algae fluid in the vase.  Fortunately, it was archived.  Wait. I mean unfortunately.  B)

3 hours ago, RummelClan said:

I have found a couple of caches like this, one in a local cemetery with permission.  I think it's a wonderful way to honor someone.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Keystone said:

This is really important.   Even if the land manager of the cemetery allows it, and the family is fine with it,  it would not be cool if geocachers started searching the wrong grave.  Keep in mind that if the cache goes missing people are going to broaden their search and a lot of geocachers don't read cache descriptions or hints.