Cache Name Ideas

Sometimes when I place a cache, I really have trouble figuring out the name. I know the basics, like: Name it after location. Name it after container. etc. However, finding the PERFECT name is a true challenge that I (and probably other cachers) have a hard time with. Suggestions are helpful as I place caches on a monthly basis! 

There are people around here who look to (grandfathered) challenge caches that require caches with certain words in their names. For example, if they find a challenge cache that requires color names, then they might look up a list of all the Crayola crayon colors, and start using those color names in their cache names.

Listening to music is my #1 passion. I've named a lot of my caches after some of my favorite songs that seemed apropos to the cache location or the hide itself. For example, I had one placed by a really nice fountain so I called it Aqueous Transmission after the song by Incubus.

On 10/7/2017 at 3:09 PM, TwistedCube said:

Sometimes when I place a cache, I really have trouble figuring out the name.

Well, IMVHO having difficulties to find a good name for a cache is a good hint to think about if there a cache should be hidden in the first place. Just saying....

18 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I like titles with puns.   

It says (to me) that the CO has a sense of humor, and now I'm tempted to go,  possibly to see if I "get it" too.   :)

For Instance:

His GRATE-est Discovery (A cache under a fake circular grate)

Cole's Cache (A cache in a park called Cole Creek Park, hidden pun there)

Sometimes, names just come to me, but half the time it takes quite awhile to find the right one.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:43 AM, simpjkee said:

I've named a lot of my caches after some of my favorite songs that seemed apropos to the cache location or the hide itself.

I love this idea of naming a cache after your favorite songs. I've often thought that when I'm finally ready to go out and hide some caches, I would like to name some of them using memorable quotes from my favorite movies or books. Not so much the title of the film or book itself, but a quote from it. Ideally it should have something to do with the hide or the cache container; but I suppose it doesn't have to.

For example, I want to hide a really clever and difficult cache and name it "From Hell's heart I stab at thee". (A quote spoken by Captain Ahab in the book Moby Dick - The White Whale). (It was also re-quoted by Khan in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Or maybe if I hide a cache near an observatory, I'd name it "That's no moon. It's a space station!" (Spoken by Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars Episode IV)

Hide one near a race track and call it "I feel the need - the need for speed!" (Spoken in unison by Maverick and Goose in the movie Top Gun)

The names usually just come to me. I am not sure others get it sometimes and that is fine.  One I can think of off hand is a morning radio show I listen to often says "were just keeping it 100. "  The Wherigo we were making was around a white house and the address was 100!  I named it "Keeping it 100"  One of the FTFers said they didn't understand the name.  Ha Ha. 

Another we had found a challenge cache that had to have the word "camp" in it.  We hid a cache at a marsh.  Somehow my daughter came up with this name.  WarNinjas- Smarsh a Camp Shmabitshmat  I don't know why but that was the name!

I like hides where the name contains a clue that you almost don't understand or you might not catch until after you find the cache. One of our caches uses this idea...if you pick up on the clue in the name it's like a 30second grab.  If you fall for the bait well then you might be searching for a while. :)

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, TriciaG said:

"Good" or "perfect" cache names are relative to the individual. I like punny names, but I never can come up with such myself. I'm pretty happy as long as the CO doesn't name them "Cache along this trail #1"..."Cache along this trail #X". X-->infinity. Bo-ring!

How about he name them #1 Cache along this trail, #2 Cache along this trail so they can be read on the GPSr.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:48 AM, hzoi said:

Just hid one called "Catasstrophy."  The cache page is dedicated to our two kitties.  The container and contents are appropriately themed to the title...

I read that cache title as three separate words and imagined what the themed container and contents would be.   :ph34r:

On 10/9/2017 at 5:38 PM, CascadeHandmade said:

I love this idea of naming a cache after your favorite songs. I've often thought that when I'm finally ready to go out and hide some caches, I would like to name some of them using memorable quotes from my favorite movies or books. Not so much the title of the film or book itself, but a quote from it. Ideally it should have something to do with the hide or the cache container; but I suppose it doesn't have to.

I wanted to hide a cache on a shark-head buoy, but that didn't work out. The cache title I had planned to use was "You're (Not) Gonna Need a Bigger Boat".

On 10/20/2017 at 8:15 PM, noncentric said:
On 10/11/2017 at 0:48 PM, hzoi said:

Just hid one called "Catasstrophy."  The cache page is dedicated to our two kitties.  The container and contents are appropriately themed to the title...

I read that cache title as three separate words and imagined what the themed container and contents would be.   :ph34r:

I think you're on to something.  But you'll have to come log it to be sure.