GPS Device

HappyHiker140

Hey.  My name is Chris, aka, "HappyHiker140".  I am searching for a new GPS device as my Magellan eXplorist GC is not working properly.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a device suitable for a novice geocacher with 280 finds and 2 hides in Oak Mountain State Park, Pellham, Alabama?  After I figured out how to use the eXplorist GC I was happy with the way it functioned and had loads of fun searching for caches.  I'm not looking forward to figuring out a new device but need to purchase a reliable and computer friendly GPS.  Thanks for you comments and happy geocaching.  My email address is:  oldspice35124@yahoo.com

Hi HappyHiker140,

your question is not easy to answer since there are many parameters which need to be taken into consideration.

Just a few examples:  Do you prefer touchscreen or buttons, do you need very long battery life or high resolution display, would you like to connect to the Internet with your device or is it OK to load all required info you need prior your trip, and so on.

My recommendation is the following:

Go to a few Geocaching events close by and get in contact with the cacher there.  They will be more than happy to show you there devices and you have an great variation of GPSr right there.  You can see the difference in size and handling and I'm sure, they will explain you the pro and cons of each device.  Maybe you can test it right there, go outside and have a look.

I think this will give you much more ideas of the GPSr which will fit your needs than and answer here.

Also you might take into consideration, that Smart Phones are well capable of performing GPS and Geocaching tasks as well.

Good luck and have a lot of fun

MB

• Upvote 1

Agreed with Mausebiber, if you're gonna use another hand-held GPSr again, an event is a good way to see what you feel comfortable with.

For example I prefer a GPSr with buttons, as (for me) rain, snow , and old hands wasn't working well with touchscreens (Gpsr or phone), where my other 2/3rds is happier just using her iPhone.  :)

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, HappyHiker140 said:

Thanks MB.  I really appreciate the advice.

If you can go to an Event, bring your Magellan eXplorist GC.  Someone may have a suggestion on either how to fix it, or how to replace it.  If you can find an eXplorist in about as good a condition as yours, but working fine, for cheap, or if you could get yours working well, you'd be all set for a while.