Redemption Code and Trackable's Cache Page

AnyaLyssa

I have a few unique custom items that I want to turn into a trackable, but not enough to warrant the purchase of 50 codes! I also want several of the geocoins for sale, but I don't want to risk losing them by sending them out. 

I thought maybe I could use the coin codes for my unique items, but I'm worried that will cause confusion. 

My question is, when I redeem a code, and the cache page for my trackable is created, does the name for item on the page show that it's the item I bought, or is there an option to rename the item?

Like say for example I buy the CITO coin, would the cache page say "CITO Coin (item ID number)", or could I rename it? 

I just don't want people looking for the coin itself, and overlooking my home made item, or thinking the coin has gone missing, separating it from the tag, and keeping my home made trackable. 

41 minutes ago, AnyaLyssa said:

I have a few unique custom items that I want to turn into a trackable, but not enough to warrant the purchase of 50 codes! I also want several of the geocoins for sale, but I don't want to risk losing them by sending them out. 

I thought maybe I could use the coin codes for my unique items, but I'm worried that will cause confusion. 

My question is, when I redeem a code, and the cache page for my trackable is created, does the name for item on the page show that it's the item I bought, or is there an option to rename the item?

Like say for example I buy the CITO coin, would the cache page say "CITO Coin (item ID number)", or could I rename it? 

I just don't want people looking for the coin itself, and overlooking my home made item, or thinking the coin has gone missing, separating it from the tag, and keeping my home made trackable. 

In most cases, you can change the name of the coin. But you can't change the icon, nor the type of coin it is, which will be shown in certain lists on the site. For example, I have a coin I named “Kunavagen - Chirp Enabled GeoCar”, which is what people see when they type the coin code and view its page. But in the Trackables Owned list in my profile, the coin's real name is shown, “Cachekinz - GeoWoodstock VIII – Salmon”, and its Alaskan salmon icon is shown in any case.

For the Kunavagen, I typed info about exactly what people should expect to find. I also had the actual coin in the car so people could see that. But if this were a coin placed into a cache, anyone running out to pocket a coveted valuable coin would instead find a “Proxy”. Too bad, so sad. B)

In order for your plan to work, you need very clear info on the coin's page, and probably photos of what the proxy looks like.  Also, you have to set up the proxy so that when it's found in most any circumstance, the finders can easily figure out what it is.

Edited by kunarion
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, AnyaLyssa said:

Should I also put a card with the proxy explaining some of this? Like "*name of proxy item*, proxy of/for *name of item code is for*"?

When you set up your TB's page, there's a menu item to "Print Info Sheet".  You could include that.  But there's a balance.  The more compact and solid a TB is, the better it may fare in caches.  Extra sheets of paper in a baggie, they don't travel well. B)