WhereYouGo app issues - QR code

CWillyPngn

Has anyone had issues recently with the WhereYouGo app on the Android phone automatic prompting the user to scan the QR codes?   I had a couple of recent finders on my Wherigos that were struggling with this issue and were led to believe that they had to look for QR codes in several of the stages in my Wherigo.  I don’t use QR codes in any of my Wherigos.  I know the Wherigo app for the iPhone doesn't have the QR code scan capability so there's no issue there.   Thanks in advance!

There is already a thread discussing this: 

In general I think it is a nice idea to be able to add QR codes (and other new possibilities) to the gameplay but the problem today is indeed that other playes (iOS and/or Geooh Live) do not currently support it and ideally the activation of this feature should be controlable by the cartridge as to not to confuse the users (novice users mistake the player feature for the QR scanning as a part of the specific cartridge...). Of course that will not be possible from the current state of the Wherigo system as it is in practice declared dead by GS (and the revival process by the Wherigo Foundation is a very long and hard road to travel).

In our local Belgian/Dutch Wherigo Facebook group there was also recently a confused user asking the same questions: where did I have to look for a QR? 

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to remember to search first before posting a topic.  :)

I'm all for adding QR codes to gameplay, but I would prefer that the feature be controllable by the cartridge, not the player.  It's causing some confusion with some of the novice users in my area unfortunately.

Dit deel van het forum spreekt geen Nederlands. Om in het Nederlands vragen te stellen kan je beter naar https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/122-dutch-speaking-forum-nederlandstalig-forum/ gaan.
(This part of the forum is not speaking Dutch. For questions in Dutch, please go to https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/122-dutch-speaking-forum-nederlandstalig-forum/.)

Antwoord op je vraag: op http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/ kan je offline kaarten downloaden. Zet ze ergens op je telefoon (intern of mSD-kaart maakt niet uit) en stel in WhereYouGo in waar de app ze kan vinden.
(To answer your question: on http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/ you can download offline maps. Put them on your phone's internal or mSD memory and adjust WhereYouGo's setting where to find them.)

My Samsung Galaxy 8 Active with the latest 2020.08.21 WhereYouGo program keeps asking me to QR 'SCAN' something whenever I try to do a WhereYouGo cartridge  so I can NEVER complete a cache becuase it needs that info to continue. 

That last two caches were "You Auto Know Novi' and Oakwood Cemetery Tour'.  I am friends with the writer of the second cartridge, and he said there was nothing in his cartidge asking for a scan.

Help!

• Upvote 1

I had this pop up on me over the summer and while the app asked for a QR code, it still allowed me to answer the question at the zone I was at in order to advance to the next one.  It happened twice but neither time prevented me from moving on.  Like you, the cartridge creator didn't have any QR code written into the program so was a bit confused.  I've not had that issue since but have only done one or two since.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, findertwo said:

WhereYouGo program keeps asking me to QR 'SCAN' something whenever I try to do a WhereYouGo cartridge  so I can NEVER complete a cache becuase it needs that info to continue. 

1 hour ago, coachstahly said:

while the app asked for a QR code, it still allowed me to answer the question at the zone I was at in order to advance to the next one.

We just completed a WIGO yesterday, with WhereYouGo, and the QR Scan option came up at every stage.  The CO did not put it there, there is no QR code to scan, and we were able to answer the question and proceed, ignoring the QR code request.

My Samsung Galaxy 8 Active with the latest 2020.08.21 WhereYouGo program keeps asking me to QR 'SCAN' something whenever I try to do a WhereYouGo cartridge  so I can NEVER complete a cache becuase it needs that info to continue. 

That last two caches were "You Auto Know Novi' and Oakwood Cemetery Tour'.  I am friends with the writer of the second cartridge, and he said there was nothing in his cartidge asking for a scan.

Help!

I don't ever get an option to input anything EXCEPT that stupid scan. It locks me out from progressing.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:23 AM, findertwo said:

I don't ever get an option to input anything EXCEPT that stupid scan. It locks me out from progressing.

Could you please provide a screenshot of this? (Most Android phones can do that by pressing power button and volume down button simultaneously).

This QR code prompt is one of the last "not thought about it enough" idea the former developer of WhereYouGo added to his app before he gave up. Anyway, this prompt doesn't prevent players to input their answers the old way....

By any chance... Did you try to swipe the screen up? Maybe the input field is just below your screen height limit!

Edited by Tungstène
Typo
4 hours ago, Tungstène said:

By any chance... Did you try to swipe the screen up? Maybe the input field is just below your screen height limit!

Yes, this. Another problem I've had with whereyougo is having the prompt field on the screen staring me in the face, but nothing made it obvious it was a field that I had to select in order to enter a value. So I had the same "I know, I know, how do I tell you??" feeling findertwo is talking about before noticing the almost imperceptible line suggesting a place to enter an answer.

Having said that, I'm not that confident with whereyougo, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility that something really is broken. The one thing I can says is that the QR code "prompt" has never had anything to with anything I've done, so try to ignore it as noise and focus on finding another way to enter the information.

The top of my screen shows words and a pic about that stage of the cache.  About 2/3 way down the word SCAN QR in a circle. There is NO keypad like yours; no where to make any entries except the request to scan. When I do try it, it comes up that it was an incorrect scan.

I will try to take a screen shot to send to you (not sure how'; maybe you could refresh the steps for my Samsung Galaxy) We have two phones, so maybe we couild take an actual picture of my screen.

Thanks

On 10/23/2020 at 4:29 PM, findertwo said:

The top of my screen shows words and a pic about that stage of the cache.  About 2/3 way down the word SCAN QR in a circle. There is NO keypad like yours; no where to make any entries except the request to scan.

I'm guessing Tungstène is right on the money. Is there a line in the middle of your screen? It looks like a decorative dividing line between top and bottom, but it's actually a place to enter text. If you select the blank space immediately above it, your keyboard will likely come up and you'll find yourself entering text in that blank line. Tungstène's pictures show it pretty well, both before it's selected when it looks like a line, and after it's selected and he's inputting text on it.

I certainly appreciate the help, but there is no line at all.  You can rub your thumb from top to botton and side to side and nothing happens; just that darn request for a scan.  I covered every inch of the Samsung screen jambing the metal case edge to case edge and zero; nada, nothing. 

9 hours ago, findertwo said:

I certainly appreciate the help, but there is no line at all.  You can rub your thumb from top to botton and side to side and nothing happens; just that darn request for a scan.  I covered every inch of the Samsung screen jambing the metal case edge to case edge and zero; nada, nothing. 

Bummer. Well, at least next time that happens to me, I have a fighting chance of remembering about that line myself....

On 10/24/2020 at 1:29 AM, findertwo said:

SCAN QR in a circle

Written in a circle? I can't remember seeing that with any release of WhereYouGo. You're using last version (2020.08.21), the same as I do. We should have the same design. :blink:

I will try to take a screen shot to send to you (not sure how'; maybe you could refresh the steps for my Samsung Galaxy)

According to this page from Samsung's website named "take a screenshot on your Galaxy phone", you should be able to do it the way I told you at the beginning. If it doesn't work, there are other options listed on the web page.

It appears, at least to me, that the line above the "Scan QR" is where you would input the answer needed to advance to the next zone. While not exactly the same as my previous examples, it's close enough.  It appears that you aren't able to tap on the screen at the line to enter your answer.  Is that what you're telling us?

Edited by coachstahly
  • Upvote 2
On 11/11/2020 at 2:56 PM, findertwo said:

Finally . . .

Hooray!

On 11/11/2020 at 2:56 PM, findertwo said:

What do you think now that you see what I saw?

Well... I see the grey line above the "Scan QR" button. By tapping a little bit above this grey line, you should trigger your smartphone's virtual keyboard.

But...

About 2/3 way down the word SCAN QR in a circle.

I can't see that circle you talked about on your screenshot.