Unarchive Statute of Limitations?

simpjkee

Yes.  The details will depend on the reasons for the original archival and is somewhat a matter for the reviewer's judgment.

If someone "geocides" by archiving all their caches, and then asks me to unarchive all 87 of them, the statute of limitations is one minute.

If I archive a cache after there was no response to a maintenance reminder, and the owner writes back several months later to explain they've just successfully completed cancer treatment, I'd be happy to unarchive their cache if it met current guidelines.

There are many other cases in between these extremes.

• Upvote 6
On 10/4/2017 at 7:10 AM, Manville Possum said:

To the OP. Is it a case where a new cache could not be recreated why the cache needs unarchived? I was once told 90 days was the limit by my reviewer.

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Basically, I've always been a responsible cache owner (I think thats why I got a new virtual). I've never had a reviewer disable of archive one of my caches. I've always maintained them when I owned them and if there was ever a time in which I wasn't willing to maintain it, I'd archive it. There are a couple of my caches that I'd like to unarchive and maintain, but I think placing a "Cache Name Version 2" or "Cache Name 2.0" is kinda cheesy. I'd much rather have the cache unarchived and continue on where I left off. These caches have been archived anywhere between 3 and 6 years or so.

2 hours ago, simpjkee said:

... These caches have been archived anywhere between 3 and 6 years or so.

It sounds like from Keystone's answer up above that several years is far beyond the possibility of unarchiving.  He gave the example of an upper limit of several *months* in the case of inability to maintain a cache due to a serious medical condition.

It sounds like you should create new caches.  No need to use the exact same locations or the same name and "2.0."

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, simpjkee said:

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Basically, I've always been a responsible cache owner (I think thats why I got a new virtual). I've never had a reviewer disable of archive one of my caches. I've always maintained them when I owned them and if there was ever a time in which I wasn't willing to maintain it, I'd archive it. There are a couple of my caches that I'd like to unarchive and maintain, but I think placing a "Cache Name Version 2" or "Cache Name 2.0" is kinda cheesy. I'd much rather have the cache unarchived and continue on where I left off. These caches have been archived anywhere between 3 and 6 years or so.

Well, it was an answer to your question, not another question. My reviewer told me that after 90 days a archived geocache can NOT be unarchived. 

I have always been a responsible cache owner too but was not selected for one of the new virtuals. You were just lucky.