Is Geocaching Declining?

º

Hi there :)

Yes I know - there's already a thread (Is Geocaching Dead?) however I only quickly scooped over it and didn't read the 404 posts. A year ago I wrote two blog posts about 

There's also a follow up post to revisit the numbers if you're really keen on stats - http://www.hiking.melbourne/2017/10/the-nosedive.html - but I'm interested what everyone else is thinking:

Do you agree with this assessment and if yes what's your theory why this is happening?

That is, you do not want to waste your time in full reading the 404 posts, but the others should invest our time in reading your blog and re-discuss the same thread but in this new one?

Why not just add your vision to the ongoing discussion thread, since you know where it is?

• Upvote 7
8 hours ago, º said:

Yes I know - there's already a thread (Is Geocaching Dead?) however I only quickly scooped over it and didn't read the 404 posts. A year ago I wrote two blog posts about 

There's also a follow up post to revisit the numbers if you're really keen on stats - http://www.hiking.melbourne/2017/10/the-nosedive.html - but I'm interested what everyone else is thinking:

Do you agree with this assessment and if yes what's your theory why this is happening?

I'm reading its-going-downhill and segued to Geocaching Stickiness. I found this part enlightening and think it can be said for most areas:

3/4 of all people who’ve cached in Australia stopped logging caches at or before 224 days! 1/2 of them (55,000 or so) stopped caching within two weeks!

P.S. Maybe the original post could be added to the Is Geocaching Dead thread. I have a feeling this thread will be closed soon.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, º said:

Are those your blog sites? :D Yes, geocaching has peaked and is declining. Why? It has became a game of hide and seek low quality urban micro hides of poorly maintained geocaches with throwdowns being the normal. Players like myself that were active 10 years ago placed and maintained better listings and throwdowns were rare.

For me, the quality of the game declined.

• Upvote 3

Rather, people discovered that they can have fun hiding caches that aren't always hikes in the woods, and so geocaching grew beyond, without being limited to, such hides. It has become what it is as a natural evolution. Original types of caching experiences still exist, but there are many more now also available. That also means the original types of cachers still exist, though surrounded by many more who've only experienced the 'new' types of caching, and so when the two meet, there are bound to be clashes. Woods-cachers don't prefer urban caching. Urban cachers don't prefer woods-caching. (and yes, that is extreme generalization and stereotyping)

It is what it is. Is it declining? Depends on who you ask and what they prefer. Raw numbers? Could be a matter of interpretation. Quantity (numbers alone, declining) vs quality (subjective judgement).  Not very conclusive, imo.

And yes, whether it's "Is geocaching declining?" or "Is geocaching dead?" the discussion will end up the same, and the two threads imo will become redundant if not merged.

Edited by thebruce0
8 hours ago, anpefi said:

That is, you do not want to waste your time in full reading the 404 posts, but the others should invest our time in reading your blog and re-discuss the same thread but in this new one?

Why not just add your vision to the ongoing discussion thread, since you know where it is?

+1  Thanks.  :)

I think geocaching is on the downswing after the app craze hit but like most things it will rebound and gain popularity again when people come to the realization that there is more to the world than tweets and likes.   In fact I think we'll see an uptick in all outdoor activities and geocaching is a great one.