Hardware help; Columbia SC

AkreFamily

As long as I've been geocaching, I've used the app on my iPhone. Trying to guide my Girls Scout thru Geocache badge & need to teach them to use a handheld GPS. I bought a used Magellan Triton 200.  I have gotten the manual online. But, I've been fiddling with it all day and cannot figure out how to put in coordinates (It won't let me insert a (.) where I want, I can't find out to place the degree symbol, etc.  Is there a local (Columbia SC) who knows this little unit who can walk me thru?  Or meet me in person and I'll buy you a beer as compensation for a little tutoring :-)

13 hours ago, AkreFamily said:

As long as I've been geocaching, I've used the app on my iPhone. Trying to guide my Girls Scout thru Geocache badge & need to teach them to use a handheld GPS. I bought a used Magellan Triton 200.  I have gotten the manual online. But, I've been fiddling with it all day and cannot figure out how to put in coordinates (It won't let me insert a (.) where I want, I can't find out to place the degree symbol, etc.  Is there a local (Columbia SC) who knows this little unit who can walk me thru?  Or meet me in person and I'll buy you a beer as compensation for a little tutoring :-)

I can't really provide specific help, but when entering coordinates into a GPS (or on the web site) you don't need to enter the degree symbol.  It's implied when using the coordinate format.  The format should look something like this:  N 34 00.070 W 081 02.010

Although you can enter coordinates directly to a GPS, it's far more common to "download" geocache waypoint data (from the web site)  to the GPS.  One of the things that using the app on a smart phone has done is to make it unnecessary to understand what Lat/Long coordinates actually mean.  The coordinate format described above is in Degrees Decimal Minutes format with the hemisphere (N/S/E/W) specified as a alphanumeric character.  One can certainly geocache (and obtain the badge) without knowing anything about coordinates but I think it would be more educational to explain what those coordinates mean and how they can be used to find a location.