Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin Of Terrytown

drinks

But what do you recommend drinking when you are hiking or after you are hiking?  

I know to always bring plenty of water with me when I am hiking or backpacking.  I am just looking for other recommendations to go along with water. 

I stash a mesh bag containing canned beverages in the first creek we encounter at the start of a hike, so we'll have something ice-cold waiting for us on the way back.

e529587c-93ff-41b7-b83b-883931b03e08.jpg

On our last backpacking trip, various people brought instant coffee, instant hot chocolate, and instant spiced cider. Other than that, we drank water.

For car-camping trips, I've sometimes made sekanjebin syrup in advance. Then, when I want something besides water to drink, I add a little sekanjebin syrup to a bottle, then fill it with water to get a sweet-tart minty beverage.

While hiking, we both only drink water, but I might chug a 5hr energy somewhere along the way up/back.   :)

After hiking (or at a meal) , I'm a coffee drinker (starbucks via, or tasters choice in a pinch), while the other 2/3rds prefers tea. 

If staying over, the other 2/3rds may bring a couple of those cutesy pour-in sweet tube things, but it's still water.

Usually UL, so not gonna add much more to pack weight than the already heaviest item there.

Instead of bringing "plenty of water," when I know I'll be hiking in an area with streams, springs or other water sources, I bring my Sawyer Squeeze water filter.  Weight of water filter: 3 ounces.  Weight of water:  2.2 pounds per liter.  Carry one or two liters and just fill up whenever you're running low.

Like cerberus1, for me nothing beats a good cup of coffee out in the woods.  I prefer the single-serve packets sold by Trader Joe's (and available on Amazon).  The coffee's a bit smoother than Starbucks Via, and there is powdered cream and sugar right in the same packet. Total weight: just under half an ounce per serving.

The only time I carry anything else is when it's a very hot, humid day.  A bottle of Gatorade or other sports drink is a good idea for electrolytes.

Edited by The Leprechauns
  • Upvote 1

Water.  And we take a filter, too, so that we can drink anywhere there is a local source.  On longer trips,. we may also take a airline mini bottle of something interesting to sip after dinner....but I don't think that's really what you are asking...!

On 9/30/2017 at 2:36 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

I stash a mesh bag containing canned beverages in the first creek we encounter at the start of a hike, so we'll have something ice-cold waiting for us on the way back.

Clearly I've chosen the wrong hiking partner in life.  She never brings beer, and even though she can walk now, I usually end up having to give her a ride back to the car.

gloss4.jpg

(On the other hand, she's cuter than you.)

198ded4a-c9c8-41a6-a3f5-4f1c8407e217.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's my DNF face, so yeah, no contest.  :P  But I'll bet even her DNF face is cuter.

I was probably dehydrated too - wasting it all on sweat - so that didn't help.  (Keeping it on topic, just barely...)

• Upvote 1

Water.

Sometimes I'll add some juice (Grape/Cranberry/CranGrape/CranCherry/etc) to the water to provide additional flavor. I rarely drink any juices at full strength anymore. They're just too sweet for me if they're not diluted with water.

In the past, I've added powdered Gatorade to water for additional electrolytes, but I've been trying to avoid additional sugar and there's quite a bit in many sports drinks.

If doing an overnight where water can be heated, then hot chocolate and coffee are staples.

On 9/30/2017 at 11:36 AM, Viajero Perdido said:

Smart man...