Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fi67

VOR Ground Stations?

75 posts in this topic

I tend to disagree with the choice of Technology / Communication as that subdepartment is, so far, dedicated solely to interpersonal communication. Navaids would be an outlier, at best, in that subdepartment. I would vote for just "Technology".

As well, the area of Marine Navigation has occurred to me. More on that later, after I've had time to check it out.

Keith

0

Share this post


Link to post

Because of Radio and Television Transmitter Towers, I think of structures.  However, I do not think it is important.

0

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, elyob said:

Because of Radio and Television Transmitter Towers, I think of structures.  However, I do not think it is important.

I also think it is not important for experienced users. For beginners, the best place is there, where they probably would expect it; but then, a beginner would probably not even expect the existence of such a category.

Keith's observation is correct, navaids have not very much in common with the existing categories under Communications. But these are only the first four, this sub-department could have a much wider scope than today without getting messy, something the Structures already are a bit.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Please vote.

0

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not sure exactly what your category is about, and not sure what these 2 images are.  Found these two Google images  taken in the vicinity of 2 different airports, are they what you are wanting us to waymark in this category?  Or are they just UFOs?

 

59f3e374f3a79_UFORotoruaAirport.jpg.66677e8317b143b871eade4dedbc3f26.jpg59f3e33243185_UFOnearNapierAirport.jpg.bc470f2911ea82c2cca657c08b19934e.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post

Those look like VORs to me.  Can you get close enough to photograph them?  You also need a URL as proof.  What are the airports?

0

Share this post


Link to post

See that round thing out in the grass.....Can't get really close, this pic is off the banner on the Rotorua Airport website.     http://www.rotorua-airport.co.nz/

cropped-Airport_04_2011_Aerial-1231.jpg.c5eec5277963d4ac57c41a72c82c28fe.jpg

The other one is just north of Napier Airport, not publicly accessible in the marshland.

Edited by Punga and Paua
0

Share this post


Link to post

So if I can get close enough, is this what I need to waymark? There's a walking track over in the trees so might be able to zoom in on it! Thanks.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Two days ago I took photos of an NDB

514692dc-3d8b-4f62-913f-aad899cb4a68_l.j

Fortunately it's on public ground.

Approved waymark. Thanks a lot.

Edited by PISA-caching
2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Punga and Paua said:

So if I can get close enough, is this what I need to waymark? There's a walking track over in the trees so might be able to zoom in on it! Thanks.

Yes, that navaid could be a waymark.

0

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

Are drone photos accepted to this category?

What a great question.

0

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, elyob said:
1 hour ago, Manville Possum said:

Are drone photos accepted to this category?

What a great question.

Good question, indeed. I am not against drone photos, as long as you took them personally. For me they are just as valid as any other camera.

But in this special case, I would be extra cautious. I can imagine that the operators of those stations have a different point of view.

BTW: The category has passed and I just activated it. It is supposed to become visible soon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, fi67 said:

Good question, indeed. I am not against drone photos, as long as you took them personally. For me they are just as valid as any other camera.

But in this special case, I would be extra cautious. I can imagine that the operators of those stations have a different point of view.

BTW: The category has passed and I just activated it. It is supposed to become visible soon.

 

Yes, I would advise following all laws. Drones near Airports. Drones are becoming more popular and less expensive. Our local news uses them for filming and taking photos.

I'm thinking about using one for Waymarking.

I'm glad to see this new category. It's interesting.

0

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

So we are Waymarking something like this thing ? Correct?

Correct. These and others. We already have two VORs, two NDBs, and - especially great - a concrete arrow and a lit beacon.

1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

So we are Waymarking something like this thing ? Correct?

That's exactly correct, good luck.

0

Share this post


Link to post

I was not fully understand the category until elyob posted that link. There are a few in my region and photo access is not a problem. 

So using that link has confirmed two sites, but there is another FAA something site locally I'm not seeing listed. I'll try to learn more about the subject.

0

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Are drone photos accepted to this category?

Heckuvan idea!!! If you use one and post some photos it'll make you a pioneer! In the not too distant future we will almost certainly have Waymarkers using drones regularly. They've gotten to be cheaper than a good camera. We might as well keep current, technologically...

EDIT - after a few moments thought I get why you asked that question here. VORs and NDBs are often on private land, well out in the country, well off the road. Drones are the perfect tool for the job as long as their picture quality is up to the task.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
0

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Heckuvan idea!!! If you use one and post some photos it'll make you a pioneer! In the not too distant future we will almost certainly have Waymarkers using drones regularly. They've gotten to be cheaper than a good camera. We might as well keep current, technologically...

EDIT - after a few moments thought I get why you asked that question here. VORs and NDBs are often on private land, well out in the country, well off the road. Drones are the perfect tool for the job as long as their picture quality is up to the task.

Keith

 

Remember when no cell phone photos were allowed in Waymarking because of poor quality? B) It's all about the angle and sometimes tree top is better than ground level.

So if I can launch a drone from my vehicle and take photos, it is still Drive-By Waymarking and counts as another craft type. :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

it is still Drive-By Waymarking and counts as another craft type. :D

Don't ya mean Armchair Waymarking from your front porch swing? :D

Keith

0

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

Don't ya mean Armchair Waymarking from your front porch swing? :D

Keith

No, I mean my style of Waymarking from a vehicle. Windshield shots, shots that include my GeoMobile in the background, my style of a proof of visit photo.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

No, I mean my style of Waymarking from a vehicle. Windshield shots, shots that include my GeoMobile in the background, my style of a proof of visit photo.

 

I get that, but you could still branch out into "Armchair Waymarking", launching from your front porch swing. :D

Keith

0

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0