VOR Ground Stations?

fi67

13 hours ago, elyob said:

Because of Radio and Television Transmitter Towers, I think of structures.  However, I do not think it is important.

I also think it is not important for experienced users. For beginners, the best place is there, where they probably would expect it; but then, a beginner would probably not even expect the existence of such a category.

Keith's observation is correct, navaids have not very much in common with the existing categories under Communications. But these are only the first four, this sub-department could have a much wider scope than today without getting messy, something the Structures already are a bit.

27 minutes ago, elyob said:
1 hour ago, Manville Possum said:

Are drone photos accepted to this category?

What a great question.

Good question, indeed. I am not against drone photos, as long as you took them personally. For me they are just as valid as any other camera.

But in this special case, I would be extra cautious. I can imagine that the operators of those stations have a different point of view.

BTW: The category has passed and I just activated it. It is supposed to become visible soon.

38 minutes ago, fi67 said:

Good question, indeed. I am not against drone photos, as long as you took them personally. For me they are just as valid as any other camera.

But in this special case, I would be extra cautious. I can imagine that the operators of those stations have a different point of view.

BTW: The category has passed and I just activated it. It is supposed to become visible soon.

Yes, I would advise following all laws. Drones near Airports. Drones are becoming more popular and less expensive. Our local news uses them for filming and taking photos.

I'm thinking about using one for Waymarking.

I'm glad to see this new category. It's interesting.

18 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Are drone photos accepted to this category?

Heckuvan idea!!! If you use one and post some photos it'll make you a pioneer! In the not too distant future we will almost certainly have Waymarkers using drones regularly. They've gotten to be cheaper than a good camera. We might as well keep current, technologically...

EDIT - after a few moments thought I get why you asked that question here. VORs and NDBs are often on private land, well out in the country, well off the road. Drones are the perfect tool for the job as long as their picture quality is up to the task.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
9 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Heckuvan idea!!! If you use one and post some photos it'll make you a pioneer! In the not too distant future we will almost certainly have Waymarkers using drones regularly. They've gotten to be cheaper than a good camera. We might as well keep current, technologically...

EDIT - after a few moments thought I get why you asked that question here. VORs and NDBs are often on private land, well out in the country, well off the road. Drones are the perfect tool for the job as long as their picture quality is up to the task.

Keith

Remember when no cell phone photos were allowed in Waymarking because of poor quality? B) It's all about the angle and sometimes tree top is better than ground level.

So if I can launch a drone from my vehicle and take photos, it is still Drive-By Waymarking and counts as another craft type. :D

5 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

No, I mean my style of Waymarking from a vehicle. Windshield shots, shots that include my GeoMobile in the background, my style of a proof of visit photo.

I get that, but you could still branch out into "Armchair Waymarking", launching from your front porch swing. :D

Keith