Let's Speculate on the Next Groundspeak Reward

simpjkee

So we all know that recently Groundspeak gifted virtuals to some cachers as a reward. The criteria for getting a reward seemed to be based on cache health (maintaining owned caches) and favorite points on owned caches. This has gotten me thinking about future Groundspeak rewards and what kind of criteria they will use to determine who gets the rewards. What good caching karma behaviors would you like to see Groundspeak reward cachers for and what would you like that reward to be?

I've got two ideas so far...

1) I'd like to see Groundspeak reward cachers who place trackables quickly. Like if they can determine how quickly someone places a TB or GC after retrieving it. Maybe the reward could be a special trackable number of some kind or a free 'special' trackable item.

2) I'd like to see Groundspeak reward cachers who write more than TFTC in their logs. Like if they create an average word count per log and reward those cachers with high average word count. Perhaps they could mix in an average pictures posted per log score as well in to that formula. Perhaps they could also somehow take in to account whether cachers log DNF's as well.  I'm not sure what the reward would be for that however.

So what behaviors would you like to see Groundspeak reward cachers for and what rewards would you like to see?

6 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

That will just lead to some people doing copy & paste logs with loads of meaningless drivel in order to try and gain the reward so ultimately it would be a bad thing.

No it won't unless Groundspeak were to announce ahead of time that they were going to give a reward for this. If one day they just gave the reward no one would have know to boost their word count ahead of time.

1 hour ago, rosebud55112 said:

After all the complaining and whining about who got the rewards this time, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to never do any project like this again. 

No, the whining comes with the territory, Groundspeak knows that it doesn't matter if a person is hung with a new rope, they'll still complain. Just look at all the changes, all the promotions GS has initiated over the years. The complaints and whining rear their ugly heads each and every time.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, simpjkee said:

No it won't unless Groundspeak were to announce ahead of time that they were going to give a reward for this. If one day they just gave the reward no one would have know to boost their word count ahead of time.

I've seen very wordy cut n paste logs about how the team got together (sometimes listing each member of the team) at the parking lot where the host provided coffee then they were on there way to break their last record of xx number of caches and had a great day achieving a new all time record. Thanking the host for the coffee and all the cache owners for the smileys they accumulated. Word count 50-150. Then the note gets pasted to 55 other caches that day (and probably 1/3 of those caches were never seen by the "finder"). Hardly deserving of a reward. 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Michaelcycle said:

I'm not sanguine about GS issuing rewards for log length but if it were a possibility and "copy and paste" becomes a concern project-gc has a "log similarity" score on their stats page that could be used to discount that tactic.

Yeah the ability to create a formula to decide who is deserving of the reward is there.

3 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

I've seen very wordy cut n paste logs about how the team got together (sometimes listing each member of the team) at the parking lot where the host provided coffee then they were on there way to break their last record of xx number of caches and had a great day achieving a new all time record. Thanking the host for the coffee and all the cache owners for the smileys they accumulated. Word count 50-150. Then the note gets pasted to 55 other caches that day (and probably 1/3 of those caches were never seen by the "finder"). Hardly deserving of a reward. 

What kind of rewards would you like to see?

3 minutes ago, simpjkee said:

What kind of rewards would you like to see?

Thanks for asking. I'd like to see rewards continue to go to cache owners who follow the guidelines and strive to provide an all-round good caching experience for the majority of finders:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/guidelines#ownerresponsibility

Cache owner responsibilities

Maintain cache page online

To keep the online cache page up-to-date, the cache owner must

Maintain geocache container

To keep the geocache in proper working order, the cache owner must

• Visit the geocache regularly.
  • Fix reported problems (such as replace full or wet logbook, replace broken or missing container).
  • Make sure the location is appropriate and change it if necessary.
  • Remove the geocache container and any physical stages within 60 days after the cache page is archived.

Cache owners who do not maintain their existing caches in a timely manner may temporarily or permanently lose the right to list new caches on Geocaching.com.

• Upvote 3
12 hours ago, simpjkee said:

So what behaviors would you like to see Groundspeak reward cachers for and what rewards would you like to see?

I feel "rewards" are getting outta hand, and think it's odd that someone feels a need to be rewarded  for something many still consider a hobby.

You either enjoy the hobby, or you find another...

I'm often "rewarded" with awesome views and unique areas.  I'm fine with that, thanks.   :)

• Upvote 7
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I feel "rewards" are getting outta hand, and think it's odd that someone feels a need to be rewarded  for something many still consider a hobby.

I'm often "rewarded" with awesome views and unique areas.  I'm fine with that, thanks.   :)

Yeah... I think 'rewards' is heading in the wrong direction. Bringing back virtuals wasn't primarily a "reward" for those who could place them - it was to bring back a much desired cache type/experience for the entire community. It so happened that had to choose a very very limited number of people to actually place them, so it came across as a sort of 'prize' for being an algorithmically 'good owner'.

I don't think it's a good idea to start providing rewards, for the sake of rewarding peopole for activity that's a hobby you can enjoy or not. Good behaviour and etiquette is reward itself, to others who also enjoy the hobby.

I think the question should be more like - what other grandfathered or historic idea would you like to see Groundspeak return on a limited or trial basis?  And then discussion about who should have the privilege of creating/maintaining/participating would spawn from that.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Cache owners who do not maintain their existing caches in a timely manner may temporarily or permanently lose the right to list new caches on Geocaching.com.

I totally agree with that. I mean if you don't follow the posting guidelines in the forums they take away your right to post for a while. Seems only right they do that with cache ownership as well.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

Yeah... I think 'rewards' is heading in the wrong direction. Bringing back virtuals wasn't primarily a "reward" for those who could place them - it was to bring back a much desired cache type/experience for the entire community. It so happened that had to choose a very very limited number of people to actually place them, so it came across as a sort of 'prize' for being an algorithmically 'good owner'.

I don't think it's a good idea to start providing rewards, for the sake of rewarding peopole for activity that's a hobby you can enjoy or not. Good behaviour and etiquette is reward itself, to others who also enjoy the hobby.

I think the question should be more like - what other grandfathered or historic idea would you like to see Groundspeak return on a limited or trial basis?  And then discussion about who should have the privilege of creating/maintaining/participating would spawn from that.

Sounds like a good question. Do you want speculate on an answer?

19 minutes ago, simpjkee said:

Sounds like a good question. Do you want speculate on an answer?

Based on the forum discussions, I would say webcams are the next most asked for cache type. 

Probably those who've created good functioning webcams and maintained their listing properly should be chosen to produce more. 

19 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

9 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

Yes, it's happened once so it's "out of hand."  Right.

Generally, however, carrots are superior to sticks in modifying behavior.  I guess they don't feel as good to others though.

Not positive but maybe cerberus feels souvenirs are a type or reward. Myself, there's nothing special about them,, but i'd bet many others think the opposite and see them as a reward. They're handed out for every little instance imaginable so yes, i can see some people believing they're a bit out of hand.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Based on the forum discussions, I would say webcams are the next most asked for cache type. 

Probably those who've created good functioning webcams and maintained their listing properly should be chosen to produce more. 

Thanks, but I don't think I'd be interested in having another Webcam Cache.  Mine takes quite a bit of effort to maintain,and I don't where I would find a new one.

• Upvote 1

I’m not a fan of giving out rewards. In the case of virtual caches, either bring them back or don’t. I miss the days when geocaching was about the journey and finding that ammo can and sitting back and reading the logbook and leaving your comments about the cache. Geocaching had a vibe to it that I rarely feel anymore. The website feels more like a social media site with rewards and the encouraged trend to compete against each other for points. I think you take away from geocaching when you try to target as many people as possible instead of sticking to the original concept. I applaud little tweaks now and then to improve the experience, but somewhere along the way I think geocaching took a wrong turn. I love to golf, but if all golf courses became miniature golf courses I would find a new sport. Change doesn’t always equate to better. 

Edited by TahoeJoe
  • Upvote 5
37 minutes ago, TahoeJoe said:

I miss the days when geocaching was about the journey and finding that ammo can and sitting back and reading the logbook and leaving your comments about the cache.

I remember also those days, but what has happened? Has someone archived those ammo can caches or are they no longer interesting? Maybe they just wait for the finder?

Many things has happened but I am sure that no ammo box has been archived with the changes on the website. Go searching them and enjoy the way you are used to. Do not base your own actions on what others are doing.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, arisoft said:

I remember also those days, but what has happened? Has someone archived those ammo can caches or are they no longer interesting? Maybe they just wait for the finder?

Many things has happened but I am sure that no ammo box has been archived with the changes on the website. Go searching them and enjoy the way you are used to. Do not base your own actions on what others are doing.

I see that you joined in 2010 so you only have a frame of reference from that point on. The game was very different before you started when power trails didn't exist and micros and throw downs weren't the norm. Many of the traditional size caches in my area are relics from geocachers no longer in the game with very few traditional size caches being placed anywhere interesting anymore. Geocaching today is very different than it was back when I started. The rules in 2002 were:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

I still enjoy the occasional interesting cache that pops up now and then when I'm out hiking or riding my mountain bike, but the reality of the game in my area is that the actions of others over the years with no interest of placing quality caches and even less interest in maintaining them has led to nothing more than geotrash littering the landscape. There are some responsible caches in the area but they are more the exception than the norm. I believe that virtual rewards was an attempt to get geocachers to place better caches with the hope of getting a reward. If it works, it's great for the community but I miss the days when caches were placed for the enjoyment of others and not in the hope of getting a reward. 

Edited by TahoeJoe
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, TahoeJoe said:

The game was very different before you started when power trails didn't exist and micros and throw downs weren't the norm.

When I started there was absolutely no power trails in my country. Now there are some, but I am not going after them. Power trails are so easy to ignore that you should not have any problems if someone is placing or finding them. If we continue with the same logic, you will find that micros are also extremely easy to ignore.

Have you already tried these? Maybe your hobby is not completely exhausted yet?

1 hour ago, TahoeJoe said:

I believe that virtual rewards was an attempt to get geocachers to place better caches with the hope of getting a reward.

Well, I do not see how this surprise prize could create new good caches afterwards. Favorite point system was a nice try, but it has failed at the mid range. The most favorited caches in many times are actually not real caches at all and caches with zero or few favorites may be excellent hides but too ordinary to get precious favorites.

Edited by arisoft
2 hours ago, arisoft said:

Ammocans, as well as other decent size caches, are interesting. Unfortunately, pretty much everything getting placed these days is micro in size. I honestly cannot remember the last time an ammocan was placed in our area. I have a feeling it was probably by me and if so, that was back in 2013.

As TahoeJoe mentioned, there used be a "vibe" to our hobby. Unlike today, there wasn't a bunch of stats that people used to compare to one another. And yes, there have always been people using questionable practices to up find count but we didn't have near as many doing silly things to get count, souvenirs, and such 10 years ago. I can only imagine the silly things people would do if they knew a reward was involved. Events used to be real events where people socialized and had a good time. Now, they're a dime a dozen with most of them being made to get a souvenir or up find count. It used to be that more caches were placed creatively or in nicer places. Today, it doesn't matter, just as long as the smiley can be obtained.

Geocaching has changed, and not for the better.

• Upvote 4
11 hours ago, arisoft said:

When I started there was absolutely no power trails in my country. Now there are some, but I am not going after them. Power trails are so easy to ignore that you should not have any problems if someone is placing or finding them.

I have a cache that I placed 10 years ago along what is now a completed 8 me long rail trail.  At the time it was the only cache on the trail.  In the last year someone has created "a series" that pretty much saturates the trail from end to end.  Every one of those caches is a pill bottle hidden in the same manner.  Look at the map it would be pretty easy to ignore the series.  Unfortunately, there are a few interesting spots along that trail so anyone ignoring the series wouldn't see those spots and they would be ignoring my cache as well, or those that do choose to do the trail will most likely treat it like all the other caches on the trail.

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

...the only cache on the trail.  In the last year someone has created "a series"....

Many of my old caches have been eaten by powertrails.  I thought I could outlast them, but powertrails are immortal as seekers will throwdown.  

I gave up and archived the first cache I ever hid, tired of powertrail logs.  I'm trying to decide now about another, eaten up by string of micros, placed so tight to mine that I have to put it back exactly where it was. Irma rearranged that landscape, but there's not much I can do about my need to shift my cache.  (You know, the nice one in the lovely spot, with explicit permission from the trail manager...)  Half a dozen of the powertrail caches nearest mine  are missing too, all I bothered to look for as I headed to mine,  but you know, those don't need to be replaced or checked by owner. In a sense, neither does mine. Someone will come along and toss out something sort of resembling a cache somewhere around the coords, eventually, when things dry out...   

• Upvote 2
44 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I have a cache that I placed 10 years ago along what is now a completed 8 me long rail trail.  At the time it was the only cache on the trail.  In the last year someone has created "a series" that pretty much saturates the trail from end to end.  Every one of those caches is a pill bottle hidden in the same manner.  Look at the map it would be pretty easy to ignore the series.  Unfortunately, there are a few interesting spots along that trail so anyone ignoring the series wouldn't see those spots and they would be ignoring my cache as well, or those that do choose to do the trail will most likely treat it like all the other caches on the trail.

I see your problem. Today I was in a situation where I had to decide which cache to find. I saw a trail in one area and immetiatelly turned to another less saturated area. Finding suitable caches would require their selection in advance from the map.

I am sorry for those who start a hobby and do not know the system so well, that would know how to reject the "statistical" caches out of the more interesting. At least zero favorite micro caches should be displayed with a very tiny icon on the map to separate them bigger and more preferable caches.

Maybe the next surprise reward could be a bigger cache icon on the map. :lol:

1 hour ago, arisoft said:

I see your problem. Today I was in a situation where I had to decide which cache to find. I saw a trail in one area and immetiatelly turned to another less saturated area. Finding suitable caches would require their selection in advance from the map.

I am sorry for those who start a hobby and do not know the system so well, that would know how to reject the "statistical" caches out of the more interesting. At least zero favorite micro caches should be displayed with a very tiny icon on the map to separate them bigger and more preferable caches.

Maybe the next surprise reward could be a bigger cache icon on the map. :lol:

Although not a reward, that would be a great feature. It would also be really nice if the icon included the number of favorite points its cache had received.

19 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

This post pretty much sums up my feeling about the modern game. I placed a cache or two back then that have been engulfed by many other caches. I used to want to tell those people who began placing caches along the trail after mine that they we encroaching on my trail and should go find their own. Now it's as if my cache is encroaching on their trail. I would be more than satisfied finding that one cache along that trail. I don't need a 'series'. I don't even really like the idea of stopping 528 feet while on a hike to stop and look for a geocache. "Then why do it?" you ask. Honestly I have no idea. I just can't walk within a couple feet of a geocache and not try to find it. It would be much nicer IMO if that 528 feet rule was widened to like 1,000 feet or 1,500 feet or more.

• Upvote 2
On 30/09/2017 at 1:35 PM, rosebud55112 said:

After all the complaining and whining about who got the rewards this time, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to never do any project like this again. 

I propose a special reward for people who like to refer to others as complaining or whining as frequently as possible for no particularly useful or productive reason.

• Upvote 1
On 9/30/2017 at 1:29 PM, Great Scott! said:

I'd like to see Goundspeak reward the Charter Members with a special trackable (not just a code)

That seems quite unfair. I've been a premium member since I started, but I didn't find out about geocaching until 2014. Why should you get a special reward just because you found out about geocaching before I did?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Sherminator18 said:

Why should you get a special reward just because you found out about geocaching before I did?

Well for a start he's paid close to $400 more than you into the Groundspeak coffers, and if it wasn't for those who originally contributed to the startup company in the early days then  GS might not have made it to 2014 for you to find out about it.

• Upvote 1
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, Mudfrog said:

Not positive but maybe cerberus feels souvenirs are a type or reward. Myself, there's nothing special about them,, but i'd bet many others think the opposite and see them as a reward. They're handed out for every little instance imaginable so yes, i can see some people believing they're a bit out of hand.

Yep - and  I feel the same as you.    I simply consider them a marketing thing.

The other 2/3rds is so picky though  about them, that we didn't cache an entire month some time ago (these days nothing new...), because we would have been "awarded"  souvenirs for each day, whether we were caching for them or not.  Those didn't fit into whatever she's interested in...

I'm sure many have seen that CITOs get more showing up when it's "that" weekend than the one a week before/after ...   Sometimes I'm the only one there with the CO,  and then it's actual work.  A plus.

How many threads are started over  "why didn't I get my souvenir"?  :D

A fun event is going on tomorrow, yet few are attending.  It just happens that it's Intl. Earthcache day tomorrow and Sunday.  :)

- Though I was in a mood, referring to "rewards" in a general sense too, sorta like local volunteer fire companies looking for tax incentives to get new members interested, to something as simple as getting the kid to clean their room.  Having to be rewarded...

50 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Yep - and  I feel the same as you.    I simply consider them a marketing thing.

The other 2/3rds is so picky though  about them, that we didn't cache an entire month some time ago (these days nothing new...), because we would have been "awarded"  souvenirs for each day, whether we were caching for them or not.  Those didn't fit into whatever she's interested in...

I'm sure many have seen that CITOs get more showing up when it's "that" weekend than the one a week before/after ...   Sometimes I'm the only one there with the CO,  and then it's actual work.  A plus.

How many threads are started over  "why didn't I get my souvenir"?  :D

A fun event is going on tomorrow, yet few are attending.  It just happens that it's Intl. Earthcache day tomorrow and Sunday.  :)

- Though I was in a mood, referring to "rewards" in a general sense too, sorta like local volunteer fire companies looking for tax incentives to get new members interested, to something as simple as getting the kid to clean their room.  Having to be rewarded...

I agree with you that rewards are a marketing tool.  My reward is getting outside and finding the types of caches I enjoy or reading the logs when people enjoy the caches I have placed. All these rewards and badges seem alien to what geocaching has always represented to me. I guess it's no longer about the journey anymore. :(

• Upvote 2
On 10/6/2017 at 2:20 PM, MartyBartfast said:

Well for a start he's paid close to $400 more than you into the Groundspeak coffers, and if it wasn't for those who originally contributed to the startup company in the early days then  GS might not have made it to 2014 for you to find out about it.

That's great for him. But I probably would have paid that too but I just flat out didn't know about geocaching.

What type of 'reward' would I like to see?  Webcams would be cool, but I'm not sure how enthused GS would be about doing something similar to what they did with the Virtual Reward, considering all the backlash they received.  It might take some time for them to get their flame suit back from the cleaners.

On 10/4/2017 at 2:31 PM, TahoeJoe said:

I see that you joined in 2010 so you only have a frame of reference from that point on. The game was very different before you started when power trails didn't exist and micros and throw downs weren't the norm. Many of the traditional size caches in my area are relics from geocachers no longer in the game with very few traditional size caches being placed anywhere interesting anymore. Geocaching today is very different than it was back when I started.

I enjoy the types of caches that you've mentioned. There are a lot of caches I'd like to go for, but they are a bit beyond my current hiking/backpacking abilities.

I bolded part of your statement that struck a chord with me.  It's exactly why I don't agree with the idea of archiving caches solely because the CO is inactive. Some of the 'best' (in my opinion) cache adventures are caches that were placed by CO's that are no longer in the game. Whether those CO's just lost interest or physical capability to cache.  If those caches are in good shape, then I see no reason to archive them just because their owner is no longer around.  If there are problems with the cache that aren't being addressed, then that's a different matter. There are not as many 'remote' caches being placed nowadays.

If "CO must be active or else their perfectly fine cache will be archived" ever became a rule, then this game will lose many 'classic' caches and I suspect hope that TPTB recognize that.

I enjoy searching for lonely caches.  I've found several good-sized caches, that were in good shape, that hadn't been found for 6-45 months.  Most of them seem to be lonely because they are a bit 'remote' and might require 1+ miles of hiking or an OHV/4x4 to get to.  There was one that hadn't been found for almost 4 years. It was an ammo can in great shape. It was visited regularly until the forest road leading up to it was closed to vehicles, which meant it was a 2 mile hike/bike with ~1000 feet of elevation gain along an easily passable forest road. Presumably that's too much effort for just one smiley for many cachers.

There were a couple spots along the way that I thought would be good for a cache, but I'm discouraged from hiding there because of the idea that I have to make an annual visit in the absence of any reported problems and/or that infrequent visits will negatively affect the CHS.  If I'm up for a hike, then I'd rather hit a new trail than visit the cache when there's no reason to think it has any problems.  The more I hear about cache maintenance expectations (in the absence of reported problems) in these forums, the less enthused I am about placing even slightly 'remote' caches.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, noncentric said:

I bolded part of your statement that struck a chord with me.  It's exactly why I don't agree with the idea of archiving caches solely because the CO is inactive. Some of the 'best' (in my opinion) cache adventures are caches that were placed by CO's that are no longer in the game. Whether those CO's just lost interest or physical capability to cache.  If those caches are in good shape, then I see no reason to archive them just because their owner is no longer around.  If there are problems with the cache that aren't being addressed, then that's a different matter. There are not as many 'remote' caches being placed nowadays.

I agree on this point. I have been amazed for the instructions I have seen here, how to write a maintenance request rather than fix the detected problem. In the discussion then it turns out that the purpose of the guide is to get the cache archived.

3 hours ago, noncentric said:

...  There were a couple spots along the way that I thought would be good for a cache, but I'm discouraged from hiding there because of the idea that I have to make an annual visit in the absence of any reported problems and/or that infrequent visits will negatively affect the CHS.  If I'm up for a hike, then I'd rather hit a new trail than visit the cache when there's no reason to think it has any problems.  The more I hear about cache maintenance expectations (in the absence of reported problems) in these forums, the less enthused I am about placing even slightly 'remote' caches.

I'm kinda there too.    Found a few places, most need rope, but not in too much of a hurry.  Folks don't naturally head there these days anyway.:)

Changes we experienced sorta creating issues and archived hides have us wondering "what's next ?", and would rather take a wait-and-see attitude/approach right now.

4 hours ago, noncentric said:

It's exactly why I don't agree with the idea of archiving caches solely because the CO is inactive. Some of the 'best' (in my opinion) cache adventures are caches that were placed by CO's that are no longer in the game. Whether those CO's just lost interest or physical capability to cache.  If those caches are in good shape, then I see no reason to archive them just because their owner is no longer around.  If there are problems with the cache that aren't being addressed, then that's a different matter.

Fully agreed on this point... and I would also say a cacher who finds a sufficient problem with a cache shouldn't retreat from logging a NM just because the CO is inactive - but I also wouldn't say it's such a bad thing if, knowing the CO is inactive (and depending on some other case by case factors) they fix it up a bit when they find it.  However, if a NM is logged on a cache that actually needs maintenance, it really doesn't and shouldn't matter whether the CO is active or not. If they're not, then it's unfortunate that it'll inevitably get archived.

Just don't be a cache cop and start posting NM on all caches by an inactive owner, fi they don't actually need maintenance :P  Let them last as long as they can (even if it's through community help), to a degree.

I know if I find an old cache, and it's not in the best shape, but still quite findable and a great experience overall, I'm less likely to log a NM then if it were close to the city with an owner I know to be active. But it really does depend on the situation.  If I can't do a little good deed and clean it up a bit, and I think it really needs maintenance, especially if it has a recent history of repeated community upkeep, I'm more likely to consider the NM and let destiny take its course. It's a tough judgement call to make; sometimes yes, sometimes no.

But definitely not 'just because' the CO is inactive!

Edited by thebruce0
On 10/6/2017 at 10:10 AM, Sherminator18 said:
On 9/30/2017 at 10:29 AM, Great Scott! said:

I'd like to see Goundspeak reward the Charter Members with a special trackable (not just a code)

That seems quite unfair. I've been a premium member since I started, but I didn't find out about geocaching until 2014. Why should you get a special reward just because you found out about geocaching before I did?

What about -- A 'loyalty' reward, awarded to cachers that are currently Premium Members and have been PM's for 5 consecutive years.  Maybe they get a Souvenir, or better (IMO) 3-months of Premium Membership added to their accounts.  Cachers that have been PM's for 10 consecutive years could get 6 months added.  Charter members could get 9 months added, since they've been PM's for 15 consecutive years.

The awarding of 6-month and 9-month rewards would only happen in the initial rollout. Ongoing rewards would be 3-months only.

• Someone currently at 12 years would get 6-months now and then another 3-months in 3 years.
  • Someone currently at 8 years would get 3-months now and then another 3-months in 2 years. 
  • Cachers that don't yet have 5 consecutive years (like me) would get 3-months free when we reach the 5-year mark, and another 3-months for each 5-year mark thereafter.

This would be a reward that isn't based on any subjective algorithm or health score, so it's unlikely to result in the types of discussions that happened after the Virtual Cache Rewards. Actually, this is the Forums, so there will still be complaints.  Someone that was PM for 3 years, then went Basic for 2 years, then back to PM for 4 years will say that they should get 3-months free because s/he paid for 7 years of Premium Membership. But they'll just have to wait a year.  At least they aren't completely locked out of a reward and at least they know what needs to be done to get a reward. Two big distinctions from the one-time Virtual Cache Reward.

26 minutes ago, noncentric said:

This would be a reward that isn't based on any subjective algorithm or health score

26 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Two big distinctions from the one-time Virtual Cache Reward

If you combine these ideas logically, you actually may see the brutal truth behind virtual rewards. Business-mindedly, the algorithm should identify those users who are at risk of dropping out from premium membership soon or later and could be reactivated with little attention. In order for a campaign to work, its goals must not be revealed. What a coincidence!

9 hours ago, arisoft said:
10 hours ago, noncentric said:

This would be a reward that isn't based on any subjective algorithm or health score

Two big distinctions from the one-time Virtual Cache Reward

If you combine these ideas logically, you actually may see the brutal truth behind virtual rewards. Business-mindedly, the algorithm should identify those users who are at risk of dropping out from premium membership soon or later and could be reactivated with little attention. In order for a campaign to work, its goals must not be revealed. What a coincidence!

I'm not following your logic.  Maybe I just need to read it over a few times.

Just to clarify though, but "subjective algorithm or health score" were not the "two big distinctions" in my post that you quoted.  Just wanted to make that clear, because the way you quoted out separate sentences from my post seems a bit confusing.

At least they aren't completely locked out of a reward and at least they know what needs to be done to get a reward. Two big distinctions from the one-time Virtual Cache Reward.