ISS Sighting, Nov 29. Need players

vulture1957

On 9/29/2017 at 8:25 PM, vulture1957 said:

There is a pass just before 7pm local going from south Texas to the Chicago area. I'm in Oklahoma city, need players SW of Austin TX and/or up to Chicago.

Here is a link to the ground track at Heavens Above

http://heavens-above.com/gtrack.aspx?satid=25544&mjd=58086.9936116411&lat=35.5187&lng=-97.6323&loc=Bethany&alt=400&tz=CST

With that ISS Pass being two months in the future, you will have to keep checking it. My experience says the track will probably drift to the NW as time passes. It may even be lower than the required 45 ° for you by the time Nov 29 gets here. The scheduled time will also drift.

You may also want to keep an eye on the pass on Nov 27. It is currently SE of you and may drift up and be overhead by then, or even to your NW. I know it passes into the Earths shadow near Chicago.

I haven't watched an ISS path for more than a month in advance. That was a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, the ground path shifted to the NW almost 150 miles. I don't remember how much the Altitude changed or how the time changed.

On 9/30/2017 at 6:44 PM, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Nice win today in Lawrence Tom :) Beat the hell outta the Bears

(Wrong location - that was Kansas State in Manhattan)  Kansas University in Lawrence couldn't beat a decent high school team in football, basketball on the other hand....

On 9/29/2017 at 8:25 PM, vulture1957 said:

There is a pass just before 7pm local going from south Texas to the Chicago area. I'm in Oklahoma city, need players SW of Austin TX and/or up to Chicago.

Here is a link to the ground track at Heavens Above

http://heavens-above.com/gtrack.aspx?satid=25544&mjd=58086.9936116411&lat=35.5187&lng=-97.6323&loc=Bethany&alt=400&tz=CST

Vulture1957, It looks like your ISS pass for November 29 has moved too far Northwest. Your Max Alt is now only 42° and still moving away.

Do not despair. The ISS Pass for November 27 is still moving toward you and will be close to overhead when it arrives. And iconion, if he still lives in Olatha, KS, is also in the path and 1 minute and 3 seconds along the path from you. That makes him qualified as a partner. Also, I just contacted a friend in Illinois near my old home town of Clinton, Iowa. It's too soon for a response from her yet. She is 1 minute and 6 seconds along the path from iconion. Her Max Alt is also where the ISS goes into the Earths shadow.

I am posting a picture of the pass if it is directly over Bethany. It might be a little off in either direction.

Edit addition: Since the time for the pass is still changing, the times listed on the photo are the flight time from Bethany along the path.

ISS 11-27-17.jpg

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
Add extra Info.
16 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

OK, if anyone knows some other players from Missouri and SW Illinois, we should be able to get a good multiple sighting.

Thanks for the info, Mother Goose

Have you contacted iconion? If he is a partner, then anyone else from Missouri or western Illinois is less than 1 minute of flight time from him and can't be one of your partners. Clinton, IA and Peoria, IL are just over 1 minute from him. I have not received any response from my Clinton friend. If Clinton doesn't play you might try finding someone from Peoria, Bloomington, Rockford, or Chicago, IL.

Others could partner with Benchmark Blasterz as a separate team.

bluesnote, You are too far north. On that pass the ISS will be passing over the Baja Peninsula near N25.00000 W111.00000.

BUT: 90 minutes later, after it has gone around the Earth, it will make another pass and go almost directly over you. Then it will disappear into the Earths shadow just before it gets to Salt Lake City. If you can find a partner in/near Salt Lake City, it will work. Las Vegas is a bit too close to you.

OK everyone. The track for Nov 27 still looks great for a sighting. The ground track in the US goes from Del Rio, TX over Oklahoma City, OK and it goes into shadow right over Springfield IL. Anyone close to a line between these cities could get a sighting. If we can get "players" from Del Rio and Springfield, anyone in between should be 1 minute from someone. Can anyone else do this? Do you know any other waymarkers in the areas that could do the sighting?