How do I switch off found function in etrex10 via GSAK

secretforest

Hello GeoCachers.

My problem is this. I have a set course of my own caches I use for a game. It is intended for ongoing use.

Some guests for the game record my caches as Found on the eTrex 10, instead of going to Find Another, as instructed.

Then of course the unit has to be hooked up to the comp and the found Geocache manually deleted.

I was wondering if GSAK can be used to shut down the Found function?

The attached screen shot seems to offer up some possibilities but I'm reluctant to click anything without some authoritative advice.

(Guess why I now only use this approach...).

The Database update option and the Found status update options look like they might contain the solution to my problem.

Or is there another approach?

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this.

Cheers.

Brendan

Daylesford. Australia

GSAK snip.JPG

The 'found' status of a cache is stored in the internal memory of your eTrex. GSAK can't change that.

To clear it, back-up and remove the appropriate GPX file(s) from your eTrex, reboot it, copy the GPX file(s) back and reboot it again.
Changing the name of the GPX file(s) on the unit will also do the trick.

For administration purpose you can also delete or alter the geocache_visits.txt file in the \Garmin\ map.

13 minutes ago, StefandD said:

[...]

For administration purpose you can also delete or alter the geocache_visits.txt file in the \Garmin\ map.

Actually deleting this file does not change the caches' found status. The found status is written by the unit into the unit's internal index. It might be resetted by doing a unit hard reset. This will also force a reload of the current gpx file. All caches are now unfound.
How to reset an eTrex 10 (click here)

Hans

Edited by HHL

Hans,

I didn't suggest clearing this file resets the found status. It's just for administration purpose.

The method I mentioned above (deleting the GPX files, reboot, put the GPX files back on) works for the units I'm familiar with (eTrex 20, Oregon, Monterra). Is this different from the eTrex 10?

5 hours ago, secretforest said:

Some guests for the game record my caches as Found on the eTrex 10, instead of going to Find Another, as instructed.

Then of course the unit has to be hooked up to the comp and the found Geocache manually deleted.

I'm having a tough time understanding the user scenario in the OP, especially since the OP's account doesn't show any hides.

It sounds like the core issue is that caches are inadvertently marked as Found on the eTrex, when the OP prefers that they show as unfound.  If so, then I think that can be resolved by selecting that cache on the eTrex and marking it as "Unattempted".  The cache would then appear on the eTrex as unfound. If that is the main issue, then no need to connect to computer and use GSAK.

26 minutes ago, StefandD said:

[...] The method I mentioned above (deleting the GPX files, reboot, put the GPX files back on) works for the units I'm familiar with (eTrex 20, Oregon, Monterra). Is this different from the eTrex 10?

No. But the OP wants to avoid connecting all his team units from the PC. That way the reset method seems to be more reliable for me when in the field.

Hans

If I understand it right, you are using a set of caches, and lending non-cachers your etrex10 to navigate around them in a non-caching game.

If that's what you are doing, I'd suggest you make a set of waypoints for each location instead ( I think you'd probably have to do this on the gps screen itself,  not through gsak), name them appropriately  and get your users to navigate by waypoint, not geocache. You don't mark waypoints 'found' , so they stay visible on the 'find another'   ' waypoint' screen.

Download your waypoints (they are saved by the day) and back them up in their own gsak database so you can load them back onto the Garmin if there is a problem or you need them on another device.