Save 7 Realms! (GC211D5)

Tandem07

I am starting this thread on request of Backwoods_Reviewer concerning 7 Realms Of Darkness(https://coord.info/GC211D5)

This cache is in danger of being archived and there is a large group of people that do not want to see that happen and have written notes on the cache log discussing that. The Reviewer has asked that the conversation be taken to the forums and that is the purpose of this post.

26 minutes ago, Tandem07 said:

I am starting this thread on request of Backwoods_Reviewer concerning 7 Realms Of Darkness(https://coord.info/GC211D5)

This cache is in danger of being archived and there is a large group of people that do not want to see that happen and have written notes on the cache log discussing that. The Reviewer has asked that the conversation be taken to the forums and that is the purpose of this post.

I understand that the cache page is being used as a forums and your reviewer pointed that out. The owner is active, so why is the cache in danger of being archived?

It is a rather massive cache with a lot of work that was all torn down by muggles. Very disappointing. The cache is also not reasonably accessible when the sun is up so late... It's really an autumn through early spring cache. I'd like to see the reviewer give it a little more time than the two weeks he put on the cache page.

6 minutes ago, simpjkee said:

It's been disabled for 7 months. Seems the owner is unwilling or unable to maintain it.

It doesn't sound like the CO is "unwilling or unable to maintain it".  The CO has clearly explained the issues and has given a timeline of when they expect to have it back up and running.  The CO posted monthly OM logs in April, May, June noting their progress towards restoring things. Then no logs for 3 months. The Reviewer then posted a Note, the CO said it would be back by a certain date, the Reviewer then posted another 'last call' after that date had passed without any update.  The CO then posted another log stating a new timeline.  My guess is that the CO will have until that new timeline to get the cache back up.

I don't see what the big uproar is about. If cachers in the area are so concerned with the cache, then their best recourse is to reach out to the CO to offer assistance - as it appears some have done via WN logs on the cache page.

• Upvote 2

I disagree with the characterization that the Reviewer has given the CO just two weeks.  As stated above, the cache has been "temporarily" disabled since February.  The reviewer posted a reminder on September 6th -- twenty days ago.  The CO said she would be able to make repairs after September 15th.  The reviewer checked back to make sure that this plan was carried out, and saw no progress.  So, he posted another reminder.  The extra two weeks is on top of the schedule that the CO already committed to earlier in the month.

The power to "Save 7 Realms" has been in the hands of the cache owner since February, and there it remains.  If the CO cannot carry out their maintenance plan, then caches get archived. That's true whether it's a great cache or a so-so cache.

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 8

The CO (myself) has had many personal injuries including a torn ACL which took MONTHS and MONTHS to heal to where I could trust my knee to walk, let alone go up and down steep hills (4 terrain rating here).   Then by the time it did heal it was too light at night to work on this.. As KBLAST stated, this cache is a beast, and well over 2 miles of twists and turns...  Please remember that every year prior to this year the cache is disabled the entire summer due to it being too light too late and the park closing at 10pm.  Thankfully, the mod has allowed me until the 23rd which will not be a problem.   We plan to cut back the trails on the back section Sunday, and re-tack slowly next week.  The cache was vandalized and we're having to basically rebuild it from scratch.  The cache took 5 months to build working 3-4 hours every single night on it.  So to try and rebuild it in a few weeks when time allowed was not going to happen.   But, it will be fixed and it'll be back up shortly! 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Kelinore said:

The CO (myself) has had many personal injuries including a torn ACL which took MONTHS and MONTHS to heal to where I could trust my knee to walk, let alone go up and down steep hills (4 terrain rating here).   Then by the time it did heal it was too light at night to work on this.. As KBLAST stated, this cache is a beast, and well over 2 miles of twists and turns...  Please remember that every year prior to this year the cache is disabled the entire summer due to it being too light too late and the park closing at 10pm.  Thankfully, the mod has allowed me until the 23rd which will not be a problem.   We plan to cut back the trails on the back section Sunday, and re-tack slowly next week.  The cache was vandalized and we're having to basically rebuild it from scratch.  The cache took 5 months to build working 3-4 hours every single night on it.  So to try and rebuild it in a few weeks when time allowed was not going to happen.   But, it will be fixed and it'll be back up shortly! 

Am I understanding correctly that you are having to clear the trails to make the trail tacks visible at night? Truthfully, your reviewer has given you more time than would have been given on my geocaches.

The cache took 5 months to build working 3-4 hours every single night on it. 

450+ hours to build,,, WOW! I can't even begin to imagine what all went into the cache, it must have been amazing. Sad that some idiot took it upon himself to mess it all up. Looks as if the reviewer is trying to help by giving some leeway. Hopefully the cache can be repaired and saved.

So glad to see this awesome cache back up and running. One of the few I've done where I can honestly say it was just as fun to do the second time as it was the first. Thanks to the CO for her hard work in keeping this cache active and to the reviewers for being extra flexible in this case. 

• Upvote 1