Weather in Michigan in May

Terrible Ts

HI, We are talking about going to Geowoodstock next year and either before or afterwards we wanted to grab the Power Island cache https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC35_power-island.  What is the weather like in May?  Would i be safe to head out onto the lake in a power boat that time of year? Can you access the Island near the cache itself or do you need to land over by the campground?

Any info that will help us plan our trip would be helpful

Thanks

Terrible Ts

On 9/26/2017 at 4:01 PM, Terrible Ts said:

What is the weather like in May? 

It can vary a lot, but nearer to the end of May it should able to be accessed.  Last year several cachers went out at the beginning of the month.  The bay will be cold.  When I went after it in June many years ago, it was still in the high 40s.

Would i be safe to head out onto the lake in a power boat that time of year?  Can you access the Island near the cache itself or do you need to land over by the campground?

The challenge of Power Island is that you can not dock on the island's dock (on the east side of the island) and leave the boat there while hiking around the island.  Several people use a local charter boat captain, which is very pricey.  I know of a couple of cachers that took a jet ski over years ago to the west side of the island and drug it close enough to beach it and went into the cache from there.  The approach from the west side is shallow for a ways out and very rocky, while the dock side on the east is much deeper.

Keep in mind, Grand Traverse Bay is large and deep (over 300 feet in the west bay) and its conditions are easily be affected by the weather.  The closest launch is Bowers Harbor on Mission Point Peninsula, NE of the cache.  Many people also launch from the ramp by Elmwood Marina in the SW portion of the bay.